Hello from Leyton

Hi all,

Short time lurker and first time poster--just bought an 03 1.6 A2 Sport in Dolphin Grey from a forum member this past weekend. Credit due to this forum for helping me figure out what I wanted and what to look for in the first place.

Mechanicals are (touch wood) pretty well sorted on this car thanks to the PO, so I'm on a quest to sweat some details:
  • Driver door check strap: this was working for the first day of my ownership until this weekend's wind caught the door as it opened, and now it clicks. I'm already in touch with @depronman about a replacement.
  • Gear lever bushing is filled with gunk from the disintegrating rubber 'underboot.' lateral movement is sticky--the selector will stay where you put it instead of returning to centre. Makes 3rd gear tricky.
  • Rear seat lower pegs may not be locking. I need to re-read the seat threads and confirm before I put my nieces back there.
  • Shifter boot collar pops out of the console. It has two tabs at the front; is it missing another at the back?
  • Cosmetics are really nice for a 19 year old car. Paint seems mostly original except the front passenger wing and rear passenger door, but the colour match on the wing is just okay. Gonna try to catch @drewroberts to see if the A2 he's breaking has a wing that's a better match.
  • The wings, bonnet, and headlamps are all just a tad out of alignment, so I might soothe my OCD with some adjustments if possible.
  • An ancient Nokia 610 bluetooth gizmo is wired in... the future is now, circa 2003. No A2DP function and apparently I can't factory reset from the menus, so it goes.
  • A Connects2 bluetooth module is on order for calls and streaming on the Chorus II head unit.
  • Driver bolster fabric is in good shape, but the foam underneath is tired. Any good options?
  • The usual assortment of soft touch button wear. It looks like PO kindly sourced a hard button climate unit (score!) but the Chorus is a bit chewed up.
  • Fuel door button popped out of its housing--looks like the tabs are gone. Ordering a new one.
  • Alarm button is weirdly missing its little internal plastic pushrod--this button is NLA new from what I can tell. Who's got a used one?
  • Outer headliner needs love.
  • Rear map light isn't working. I read this may be a dry solder joint but need to pry it out and see.
  • Upper steering column soft cover isn't staying put in its mounting tabs/slots.
  • Steering wheel and shift knob leather are polished from years of use and sticky to the touch. Will refurbish or replace.
  • Black matte paint from the factory on the centre and rear console has rubbed off most edges to reveal shiny black ABS. WTF Audi? I've owned other VAG cars so stick 'n' peel interiors aren't new to me, but the mood in Ingolstadt must be wer nicht wagt, der nicht gewinnt. Paint all the surfaces!
  • 6-disc changer is an albatross.
  • Headlamps are a bit yellow, but not too bad. A dead bug has claimed the driver side lamp as his mausoleum.
  • One rear luggage tie is missing its plastic trim. Anyone have one?
  • Standard VAG pedal rubber is hard and shiny, and slips easily. Will refurbish or replace.
None of the above will keep me from enjoying the car as it sits, save for the check strap and gear lever. I'm American and A2s were never sold in the US so this car is probably more unique for me than I imagine it is for most. I've always been charmed by the A2's looks, and I now appreciate its comfort, handling, and lightness. This isn't just another econobox, but there are some upgrades that I might consider from mild to wild:
  • I've seen a few of the cool multifunction steering wheel options from @timmus but it looks like some of them mean I'd lose the tape deck (no word on the Creedence).
  • Something that fits my travel coffee mug, to replace the useless cupholders.
  • Heated seats.
  • Comfort blinker.
  • Cruise control.
  • Auto-dim mirror.
  • Fog lamps.
  • Better headlamps--were Xenons a factory option?
  • Handbrake tray console?
  • Rear cupholders (also pretty useless but neat)?
  • Those sweet storage boxes for the rear footwells?
  • Some Bose-ish speaker upgrade?
  • Colour DIS looks fun?
  • A 6-speed gearbox? I'm not quite a hypermiler (and didn't buy the TDI because ULEZ), but @timmus has an awesome thread for his 6-speed. Is this possible for a 1.6 gearbox?
  • Aluminum suspension bits from a 3L?
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way, and will try to pay it forward as I learn. I hope to meet some of you and see what sort of cool things you're doing with your A2s as the weather warms up. Thanks for reading.

Cheers
Mark

The check strap will be in the post today
The gear leaver needs taking apart and clean out all the bits of rubber and then apply some multi purpose grease and reassemble. It makes a massive difference
You might want to also do a gear cable alignment afterwards
Also think about a gearbox oil change as the A2 is susceptible for rain water ingress into the gearbox due to the water catcher being missing or mis aligned on the passenger side
I have some auto dimming rear view mirror kits left drop me a pm I’d interested but I don’t think I have any black mirrors left
Check out my thread Depronman services as I may well be able to tick off some things on your ‘to do’ list

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Paul

Be sure to sign up to the marketplace. It’s not visible until you upgrade your account for £2. Lots of temptations get posted there.

I can help with the alarm sensor button, rear map light and a replacement steering column soft section if required.

Best wishes

Steve

Welcome Paul

Be sure to sign up to the marketplace. It’s not visible until you upgrade your account for £2. Lots of temptations get posted there.

I can help with the alarm sensor button, rear map light and a replacement steering column soft section if required.

Best wishes

Steve
The check strap will be in the post today
The gear leaver needs taking apart and clean out all the bits of rubber and then apply some multi purpose grease and reassemble. It makes a massive difference
You might want to also do a gear cable alignment afterwards
Also think about a gearbox oil change as the A2 is susceptible for rain water ingress into the gearbox due to the water catcher being missing or mis aligned on the passenger side
I have some auto dimming rear view mirror kits left drop me a pm I’d interested but I don’t think I have any black mirrors left
Check out my thread Depronman services as I may well be able to tick off some things on your ‘to do’ list

Cheers. Paul

Thanks @depronman, I’m looking forward to the strap and will definitely check out the thread. My headliner is grey—is it typical to have a black rear view in that case?

Welcome Paul

Best wishes

Steve
Thanks! I paid up early on and it’s been very helpful. Now the goal is to avoid buying parts I’m not ready to install ?

Thanks @depronman, I’m looking forward to the strap and will definitely check out the thread. My headliner is grey—is it typical to have a black rear view in that case?

No a grey mirror is normal
I only mention black as I got both in stock originally but the black ones sold more quickly

Hi all,

Short time lurker and first time poster--just bought an 03 1.6 A2 Sport in Dolphin Grey from a forum member this past weekend. Credit due to this forum for helping me figure out what I wanted and what to look for in the first place.

Mechanicals are (touch wood) pretty well sorted on this car thanks to the PO, so I'm on a quest to sweat some details:
  • Driver door check strap: this was working for the first day of my ownership until this weekend's wind caught the door as it opened, and now it clicks. I'm already in touch with @depronman about a replacement.
  • Gear lever bushing is filled with gunk from the disintegrating rubber 'underboot.' lateral movement is sticky--the selector will stay where you put it instead of returning to centre. Makes 3rd gear tricky.
  • Rear seat lower pegs may not be locking. I need to re-read the seat threads and confirm before I put my nieces back there.
  • Shifter boot collar pops out of the console. It has two tabs at the front; is it missing another at the back?
  • Cosmetics are really nice for a 19 year old car. Paint seems mostly original except the front passenger wing and rear passenger door, but the colour match on the wing is just okay. Gonna try to catch @drewroberts to see if the A2 he's breaking has a wing that's a better match.
  • The wings, bonnet, and headlamps are all just a tad out of alignment, so I might soothe my OCD with some adjustments if possible.
  • An ancient Nokia 610 bluetooth gizmo is wired in... the future is now, circa 2003. No A2DP function and apparently I can't factory reset from the menus, so it goes.
  • A Connects2 bluetooth module is on order for calls and streaming on the Chorus II head unit.
  • Driver bolster fabric is in good shape, but the foam underneath is tired. Any good options?
  • The usual assortment of soft touch button wear. It looks like PO kindly sourced a hard button climate unit (score!) but the Chorus is a bit chewed up.
  • Fuel door button popped out of its housing--looks like the tabs are gone. Ordering a new one.
  • Alarm button is weirdly missing its little internal plastic pushrod--this button is NLA new from what I can tell. Who's got a used one?
  • Outer headliner needs love.
  • Rear map light isn't working. I read this may be a dry solder joint but need to pry it out and see.
  • Upper steering column soft cover isn't staying put in its mounting tabs/slots.
  • Steering wheel and shift knob leather are polished from years of use and sticky to the touch. Will refurbish or replace.
  • Black matte paint from the factory on the centre and rear console has rubbed off most edges to reveal shiny black ABS. WTF Audi? I've owned other VAG cars so stick 'n' peel interiors aren't new to me, but the mood in Ingolstadt must be wer nicht wagt, der nicht gewinnt. Paint all the surfaces!
  • 6-disc changer is an albatross.
  • Headlamps are a bit yellow, but not too bad. A dead bug has claimed the driver side lamp as his mausoleum.
  • One rear luggage tie is missing its plastic trim. Anyone have one?
  • Standard VAG pedal rubber is hard and shiny, and slips easily. Will refurbish or replace.
None of the above will keep me from enjoying the car as it sits, save for the check strap and gear lever. I'm American and A2s were never sold in the US so this car is probably more unique for me than I imagine it is for most. I've always been charmed by the A2's looks, and I now appreciate its comfort, handling, and lightness. This isn't just another econobox, but there are some upgrades that I might consider from mild to wild:
  • I've seen a few of the cool multifunction steering wheel options from @timmus but it looks like some of them mean I'd lose the tape deck (no word on the Creedence).
  • Something that fits my travel coffee mug, to replace the useless cupholders.
  • Heated seats.
  • Comfort blinker.
  • Cruise control.
  • Auto-dim mirror.
  • Fog lamps.
  • Better headlamps--were Xenons a factory option?
  • Handbrake tray console?
  • Rear cupholders (also pretty useless but neat)?
  • Those sweet storage boxes for the rear footwells?
  • Some Bose-ish speaker upgrade?
  • Colour DIS looks fun?
  • A 6-speed gearbox? I'm not quite a hypermiler (and didn't buy the TDI because ULEZ), but @timmus has an awesome thread for his 6-speed. Is this possible for a 1.6 gearbox?
  • Aluminum suspension bits from a 3L?
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way, and will try to pay it forward as I learn. I hope to meet some of you and see what sort of cool things you're doing with your A2s as the weather warms up. Thanks for reading.

Cheers
Mark
Hi mark,
Check out 720 degrees on Amazon they fit perfectly & keep hot for 7 hrs & cold for 24 hrs?

720°DGREE Travel Mug “PleasureToGo“ - 450ml - Leakproof, BPA-Free Stainless Steel Thermo Cup for Coffee & Tea to Go with Lid - Vacuum Insulated Flask - For Hot & Cold Drinks When- & Wherever you Want https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B2YHG1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_BVET511R9ZJDBQPWHJV3

Welcome aboard Sir.

A very useful contact is Gary at B&F Autos in West Hounslow. Hugely talented in matters A2 and doesn't charge stupid money.
Will sort your problems for you, or inspect and advise if you fancy a bit of DIY.

Welcome aboard :) Nice to see a wish-list, that says long-term keeper rather than just trying it. Most of those things can be achieved in time if you get lucky when the right bits come up for sale - they appear on many other peoples' wish lists too :D

You won't find a 6-speed 'box worth having for the FSI though. This has been investigated, and there are 6-speeds that fit, but the ratio of the 6th is the same as your current 5th so all you end up with is changing gear more, although it does mean you can drive right up in the revs all the time if you want to. Regarding the suspension, we never had the 3L in RHD so there were only ever a handful of imports. So getting hold of its suspension parts post-Brexit is going to be fun and costly, if they even fit. I'm not sure if they would cope or even sit level with a much heavier engine and far less weight-consciousness throughout the rest of the car either.

options from @timmus
Hi Mark,

Welcome to A2OC. You've certainly been doing your homework. Wonderful to see another A2 has fallen into good hands.

I am based in Lancaster, in the North West, and regularly welcome visitors from all across the UK. However, usually at least once a year, I relocate to @Proghound's house for a few weeks, allowing me to bring my services closer to those living in the south east. No firm dates have yet been set for my first 2022 trip, but I always post a thread on the forum (like the one linked below) well in advance...

All the best,

Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome, recommendations, and invitations! All are appreciated and noted.

I’ll do my best to share what I get on with, and hopefully the scrapes and bruises (ideally to me and not the car) will be worth it.

I managed a pretty full weekend. Got some chores done on Saturday and then stopped by to meet @drewroberts, who was kind enough to share a ride in his sweet TDI 90 and introduce me to all the little things that make our cars special. Drew's breaking a Dolphin Grey A2 and I managed to score the front wing I need--it shined up nicely with some compound and elbow grease!

Before:
image27.jpegimage25.jpeg
After:
image16.jpeg

I left with a host of other bits and bobs (working ashtray, replacement rear lamp as mine's cracked, and a spare broken vent for an experiment I have in mind). Drew also hooked me up with a gratis black A2 badge--thank you again sir.

Sunday was interrupted by lunch at a sunny pub in Balham. Beforehand I managed to use some Sharpie magic to clean up the Chorus II a bit (at least now I don't have to look at red scratches at night!), and used some of the useful guides here to tear apart my cabin and install my Connects2. Whilst I was at it I removed the ancient Nokia 610--free to a good home if anyone wants it, but I'm at a loss to imagine anyone who would. Someone must've gone through an entire roll of electrical tape on the Nokia, and they managed to stuff bits of it in every crevice.

image5.jpegimage13.jpegimage7.jpegimage9.jpegimage0.jpeg

Next spare moment I get will be to put that wing on, and hopefully we'll see a better colour match and alignment with the door and bonnet when I'm done. I might give the headlamps some love at the same time.

Now you just want the footrest and infills to suit
Checkout the club shop as I think there are still a few left and order inserts directly from me

Paul

Good call Paul,

Mark there are only 8 footrests available in the shop so get in there when you can.

Kind regards,

Tom

Good shouts @2work and @Proghound--not quite sure yet if I'm sold on the look of the footrest but it sounds like I'd better decide soon or lose my chance :)

Since the wind and cold were a little too much today for my door strap and front wing replacement, I decided to clean my wheel and shift knob. I'm not sure if or when the steering wheel will get replaced with a later MFSW and if it does I'll be upgrading the shift knob to match. Until then, there's plenty of room for improvement.

First, I tackled the disgusting steering wheel with a combination of 99% isopropyl alcohol (what y'all call surgical spirit) and Wheeler's leather cleaning spray. If you try this, be very careful as the surgical spirit will eat your soft touch paint and while it can strip a lot of nastiness from years of leather abuse, it can also damage the leather if the top layer is worn through. Test a small spot with a shop rag beforehand.

This before shot doesn't do enough to capture the tacky rubber feel from 19 years of who knows what.
IMG_2423.jpg

Remember to wash your hands after every meal, kids.
IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Progress--this is closer to what the wheel looked like back when:
IMG_2430.jpg

And the final result. The entire wheel feels clean and soft but dry to the touch as it should. The finish is excellent everywhere except 10 to 2, where years of sweat, moisturizers and friction have slightly polished the leather. I'll probably come back and apply a layer of colourlock dye to seal everything later.
IMG_2431.jpg

Next it was the shift knob's turn. Before: grimy leather worn at the edges, chrome trim and plastic underneath flaking, gear pattern legend scuffed, boot caked with humanity.
IMG_2434.jpg

After: Leather scuffs filled and leather re-dyed with colourlock, legend polished, chrome ring sanded to remove most defects and dyed black, boot cleaned and conditioned, aluminum trim ring polished. Feels much nicer to hand and looks better than the picture.
IMG_2444.jpg

And finally just a quick re-dye and small scuff touch-up on the handbrake.
IMG_2441.jpg

We'll get to all the ugly soft touch another time.

My headlamps were a bit of a mess... lots of crazing on the inside and outside of the lens. Since new units are NLA I thought I'd see how much I could revive them. The left has never been sanded, but the right was previously. I used the 3M kit which sands 500, 800, 3000, then compound, and I finished with multiple coats of Meguiar's PlastRX.

Both look like new with the headlamps off now. With the headlamps on I can see I need to go back over with the 3000 again as there are still some light sanding marks. The right headlamp has crazing all the way through the plastic with the headlamps on. It's a great improvement, but any opinions on whether this will pass MOT? Thanks.

IMG_2518.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2528.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg

Back