hello from ouchA2

A2ouch

Hello folks,
I'm a long term A2 owner - I've put 70k on mine since I got it & love it - but have an issue I'd like advise on.

My clutch showed signs of failing at around 115k, so I had it replaced by the local (non-audi) garage (~£750 , dual mass). That's ~15k ago. The new clutch was much lighter under foot but failed to disengage wholly - playing nasty tunes when engaging reverse, and generally being 'notchy'in use - a far cry from the lovely fluidity it used to have.

I complained, took it back; twice, they did -- something; first time they said bleeding wasn't complete; second they said they greased the linkage -- which kindof improved matters, but not wholly; from time to time the gear change is simply horrible - stiff, noisy, truck-like - then it's okish - variable; I don't understand this variability

This week (COLD!) it got dramatically worse - incredibly difficult to engage a gear - no nasty noises - just huge resistance; first was NA, but I could get in to 2nd - so off to work as I must I went; strange but the issue was much moderated once everything warmed up (engine thermometer needle ~vertical).

yesterday I left the car in gear (reverse) on the drive overnight; this morning reversing out was not a problem; getting it OUT of reverse was - completely impossible - like no way, forget it (and no, not a 7stn weakling ;-). After a brief futile struggle, I turned off the ignition and prepared to call my rescue service ... and found I could easily get from reverse and select first when the engine was not running. go figure. so off to work as I must I go.

This gearbox behaviour must be diagnostic; it'll go easily through all the gates when the engine is not running; but when the engine is running it's a complete 'ahem' to select any gear. ( just went out to the car the confirm: yep; engine off I can select through all the gates - beautiful slick movement; engine running - OMG, this is a struggle - but no nasty noises.

Have anyone any idea what is wrong with this box? (clutch installation?) Is there something Audi-specific which my local generic garage doesn't know about?

The MOT is coming up this time next month ...

Hoping there's an easy answer!. fingers crossed.. thanks in advance

Hi
I would personally suspect clutch master or slave cylinder. Looks easy enough and cheap to replace the slave cylinder. I would not like to try the master
I have not had this on an A2 but on other old cars.
Good luck
Martin

Sorry to read about your issue. I thought of 4 possible causes, two are mentioned above. The other two are:

1. Your gear selector bearings are shot and the selector shaft is rattling around in its housing / tower.

2. Your clutch is wrong for some reason. I had a clutch fitted on an Audi A4 and the garage fit and rejected two before they were happy with the feel.

I would check things in the following order:

1. The selector, just move it by hand and if there is any slopping around it will need work on it. Hopefully it will be fine but if it is slopping around there is also a chance your gear oil could be contaminated because the selector shaft seal will have failed.

2. Adjust cables

3. Check slave cylinder

4. Find a decent garage that can fit a clutch.

Many thanks to everyone for their help. Eventually took this to an Audi-independent garage, who confirmed either slave or master cylinders as the issue; we had them replace the slave first -- easier, more accessible, cheaper -- and that solved the issue, so left master cylinder alone.

Now back to a gear-change that brings a smile with every shift! lovely!

Back