Hello from Oxford(ish)

Jason_e

I figure I should say hello given I’ve already been picking your collective brains on the forum for a couple of weeks!

I have had a hankering for an A2 for a while, as an design engineer they fascinate me a bit. I’ve worked for a few motorsport outfits, F1 teams etc, and there’s always one in the car park.

The other week a combination of factors meant this little A2 was bought, in the dark, from gumtree.

420EBD4F-ED5F-4C12-A4A3-33C43B50FE71.jpeg

It was of course, a terrible decision. Ironically, my blind (and drunk) eBay Range Rover is now the reliable one of the two.

Other than the obvious paint damage, it’s got a plethora of problems that have made themselves known since I bought it. Oh, and it was minging inside.

So far I’ve bought a TT steering wheel, a service kit, temp sensor and thermostat, a full newer spec shifter tower and more that I’ve forgotten.

9C57E206-7B2B-49AB-93CE-A1D002D713CF.jpeg

Next up is a JDD gearbox, remap and EGR mod, wheel bearing, I think the suspension is knackered too….

So yeah. Not my Best Buy. But you can’t be lucky all the time! This is the 40th car I’ve bought in 12 years of driving. I’m no stranger to manual labour and disappointment! This one is going to be a bit of a rescue mission!

Anyways, I have a YouTube as well where I’ll be documenting the fun I’ll be having with this one.

I look forward to being part of this little community!

Late night purchases are never the best. Almost all of the panels are bolt on though so it will just be a matter of time (or new paint) to sort out the bodywork.

Well done James for your introduction....I had already been watching your youtube footage.
cheers..

A lot of those overlap!

My long, random and often stupid car history laid bare!

No crashes either :) touch wood…
Jason, great videos, enjoyed the comedy on the tower bearing replacement. Incredible gearbox oil condition. I think the forum ar emost looking forward to your guide on the removal re-cover and refit of the headliner. Huge issue on A2 and most have it coming! Dont give up on this car it will reward you.

A replacement Cobalt blue bonnet would improve the car a disproportionate amount with the cost!

Know what you mean about having a cheap runabout but then the satisfaction of having it look smart and working correctly or even better than new (remap + gearbox) is worth investing in.

A replacement Cobalt blue bonnet would improve the car a disproportionate amount with the cost!

Know what you mean about having a cheap runabout but then the satisfaction of having it look smart and working correctly or even better than new (remap + gearbox) is worth investing in.
Is cobalt blue rare? I just think I can (from experience) get it looking good with about £30 of paint. I just haven’t see. A cobalt blue bonnet for sale yet…

Is cobalt blue rare? I just think I can (from experience) get it looking good with about £30 of paint. I just haven’t see. A cobalt blue bonnet for sale yet…
Not particularly rare I don’t think.

If you can achieve a good finish and have the time then I’d say go for it - I have three young kids so I would rather pay for either a good bonnet or to have my existing one painted - in fact my car is right now in a spray booth at the body shop having exactly that done amongst other things!!

Mine is a very rare cherry red Pearl metallic colour mind and I’ve only ever seen two other A2s come up for sale in that shade - and no spare panels. Compared to that, Cobalt blue is pretty common.

I had a Cobalt TDI for a while. It took me a long time to get the panels I needed for it in decent condition and at a reasonable price, i.e. on here not on eBay. Being a dark colour with a light coloured primer underneath, it's very prone to showing stonechips.

Not particularly rare I don’t think.

If you can achieve a good finish and have the time then I’d say go for it - I have three young kids so I would rather pay for either a good bonnet or to have my existing one painted - in fact my car is right now in a spray booth at the body shop having exactly that done amongst other things!!

Mine is a very rare cherry red Pearl metallic colour mind and I’ve only ever seen two other A2s come up for sale in that shade - and no spare panels. Compared to that, Cobalt blue is pretty common.
photos please of this A2 in cherry red metallic you little teaser you!

Blue overall is the second most popular A2 colour after silver, but there were 7 blues offered that I can think of, of which Cobalt is just one. I think you see more of all the other blues except the solid Brilliant Blue, than you do of Cobalt.

You might consider getting an Ebony Black (LZ9W) bonnet as a temporary or even longer term solution. It's a pearlescent colour the same as Cobalt is, it was offered throughout the production run, one of only two blacks (the other is the solid LY9B Brilliant Black), so its availability isn't too bad. I've actually seen a Cobalt car with an Ebony bonnet on, and it really wasn't the first thing you noticed about it, they're surprisingly similar shades.

I just haven’t see. A cobalt blue bonnet for sale yet…
I have a full set of Cobalt Blue panels, inc. the bonnet, which is free of both scratches and dints.
If you’d like it, but don’t want to drive to mine to collect it, it may be able to hitch a ride back ‘down south’ with someone.

Cheers,

Tom

I can help!

Tom put it inside Audrey before she leaves you and next time I go to my parents’ in Maidenhead I’ll drop it off to Jason in Oxford(ish!) on the way past.

SORTED. ?

Last edited:
Ah this group is fantastic!

Let me know dates etc and Tom drop me a message for what you want for it as well!

Yes it is :)

Can you PM me your address and contact number Jason and I'll keep it for when I'm next heading past - which looks to be Wednesday April 19th in the evening at present, or else it could possibly be EARLY on Friday 21st.

Having see some of your YT content, it'd be great to meet you too, I'll be in Audrey so you can have a nose around if you'd like.

Yes it is :)

Can you PM me your address and contact number Jason and I'll keep it for when I'm next heading past - which looks to be Wednesday April 19th in the evening at present, or else it could possibly be EARLY on Friday 21st.

Having see some of your YT content, it'd be great to meet you too, I'll be in Audrey so you can have a nose around if you'd like.

Absolutely! That’s great thank you.

Back