Hello from sunny Edinburgh

Hey guys,

New owner of a nice 2003 Audi A2 1.6FSI in sunny Edinburgh here. :)?
I was looking for a wee spare car that might require a spanner here and there to fill some time and guess what...this appeared on a listing, and the rest is history!
Since I've always liked one from their introduction, and by being a previous Audi owner (As well as a VW 1.6FSI owner) I kind of knew what was expecting around the corner, and I wasn't disappointed ?: no history at all and just ticked 100k on the clock, and quite a list of bits and bobs to sort out; faulty Opensky, some light misfire at idle (which I have mostly rectified thanks to the great info on this forum), infamous rattling chain at startup, water ingress from rear vents, faulty fuel lock and wiper arm replacement to look forward to, but I see I am not alone with that and I've budgeted accordingly.
At least she is starting to respond at some love with a surprisingly smooth and nippy performance, and actual chassis, gearbox & steering feel super tight; a long mot to get my head around it will help assessing it in between daily chores.

As you can see I have a 50-50 chance to make it right, if the engine proves to be a bit of a dude (I talk from previous experience) then it will make for a superb donor for someone, but hopefully it won't come down to that as I really like this one and a bit "too good" not to give it a try! ???

Cheers,

Carlo.

IMG20210509160655-min.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from a fellow FSI owner. Looks like you’ve found a nice place to start your A2 journey from.

Nice opening post, welcome also to the A2 addiction that will become the norm, no cure sadly beyond scratching the itch.

Great colour, and welcome from a fellow FSI owner. I really enjoy driving mine. I have run diesels for the past 40 years, and also have a Tdi75, so appreciate the quiet ride!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and A2 ownership. I'm in Hamilton, there's a fair number of us in the central belt. On the odd occasion I see an A2, I always wave. Which VW was your other FSI in? Golf and jetta were the only ones to use the FSI to the best of my knowledge.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and apologies for the delay; had a rather eventful few days but it's all good now.
Great to know there are so many A2 owners around the capital, yesterday alone I spotted three! :cool:
Still getting accustomed to this mini-marvel, I still can't figure out how small it is from the outside and how genuinely roomy is from the inside; absolute love it going around town, fits everywhere and it is plenty nippy to beat those ever-challenging yellow lights! ?

Need that sunroof sorted soon as the capital is getting quite solar and wouldn't want to miss the opportunity this year; I will read on the many posts and services on the forum.
Anyway it will be good one day to catch-up if anyone else's is in the area for a wee get together, really curious to meet other A2OC friends and see other versions of the same car.

Take care you'all and speak soon! :)?

Carlo.

Welcome to the forum and A2 ownership. I'm in Hamilton, there's a fair number of us in the central belt. On the odd occasion I see an A2, I always wave. Which VW was your other FSI in? Golf and jetta were the only ones to use the FSI to the best of my knowledge.
I used to have a VW Touran 1.6FSI, run like a clock for a good few years then the chain and oil system started to give trouble, so I moved on; nice car but underpowered (understandably).

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and apologies for the delay; had a rather eventful few days but it's all good now.
Great to know there are so many A2 owners around the capital, yesterday alone I spotted three! :cool:
Still getting accustomed to this mini-marvel, I still can't figure out how small it is from the outside and how genuinely roomy is from the inside; absolute love it going around town, fits everywhere and it is plenty nippy to beat those ever-challenging yellow lights! ?

Need that sunroof sorted soon as the capital is getting quite solar and wouldn't want to miss the opportunity this year; I will read on the many posts and services on the forum.
Anyway it will be good one day to catch-up if anyone else's is in the area for a wee get together, really curious to meet other A2OC friends and see other versions of the same car.

Take care you'all and speak soon! :)?

Carlo.
A get together at some time for Borders/NE England/NW England would be great - I'd be up for it. Scottish Museum of Flight maybe? or the Jim Clark Motorsport Museum?

Hey guys,

New owner of a nice 2003 Audi A2 1.6FSI in sunny Edinburgh here. :)?
I was looking for a wee spare car that might require a spanner here and there to fill some time and guess what...this appeared on a listing, and the rest is history!
Since I've always liked one from their introduction, and by being a previous Audi owner (As well as a VW 1.6FSI owner) I kind of knew what was expecting around the corner, and I wasn't disappointed ?: no history at all and just ticked 100k on the clock, and quite a list of bits and bobs to sort out; faulty Opensky, some light misfire at idle (which I have mostly rectified thanks to the great info on this forum), infamous rattling chain at startup, water ingress from rear vents, faulty fuel lock and wiper arm replacement to look forward to, but I see I am not alone with that and I've budgeted accordingly.
At least she is starting to respond at some love with a surprisingly smooth and nippy performance, and actual chassis, gearbox & steering feel super tight; a long mot to get my head around it will help assessing it in between daily chores.

As you can see I have a 50-50 chance to make it right, if the engine proves to be a bit of a dude (I talk from previous experience) then it will make for a superb donor for someone, but hopefully it won't come down to that as I really like this one and a bit "too good" not to give it a try! ???

Cheers,

Carlo.

View attachment 80529
Not sure that the start up rattle is a chain. I believe it's the lifters which are hydraulic. Oil drains away while engine is not running, and takes a few seconds to return on starting.
Ours does it, and it's only done 52000, and had new cam belt recently.
Oh, and welcome, from one FSI'er to another.
Mac.

I have 2 FSi's both in mid 90k miles, one does have the rattle for a couple of seconds & the other one never does, very strange both well looked after, both have been regularly serviced :rolleyes:
Ami

I have 2 FSi's both in mid 90k miles, one does have the rattle for a couple of seconds & the other one never does, very strange both well looked after, both have been regularly serviced :rolleyes:
Ami
That is really odd, another FSI mystery.
Wonder if there's a non return valve somewhere, that isn't very effective?
Mac.

Not sure that the start up rattle is a chain. I believe it's the lifters which are hydraulic. Oil drains away while engine is not running, and takes a few seconds to return on starting.
Ours does it, and it's only done 52000, and had new cam belt recently.
Oh, and welcome, from one FSI'er to another.
Mac.
Ami
That is really odd, another FSI mystery.
Wonder if there's a non return valve somewhere, that isn't very effective?
Mac.
I do wonder, as soon as I serviced the oil is much less prone to rattle especially if I park it downhill. ? ?

Back