Hello new here. Advice needed

Surgeon

Hello A2OC

First post here. Lovely forum.

May I ask for some advice. I would like to buy a blue a2 with the black wheel arches .
It’s 2004 with 106000 miles and about £1700.
It doesn’t come with any service books nor has it had the cam belt changed in ages.

What are the thoughts of the group?

Kind regards

Hello A2OC

First post here. Lovely forum.

May I ask for some advice. I would like to buy a blue a2 with the black wheel arches .
It’s 2004 with 106000 miles and about £1700.
It doesn’t come with any service books nor has it had the cam belt changed in ages.

What are the thoughts of the group?

Kind regards
Good morning,welcome to the best forum on the Internet. Lots of people will be along to offer advice on the blue Colour Storm - that's the official name of the A2s with black arches and roofs,along with their uniquely upholstered seats.
However, they'll need to know which engine is fitted. There were four options in 2004: two 1.4 litre diesels offering 75 or 90 bhp, and 1.4 and 1.6 litre petrol engines.
A link to an advertisement, if the A2 is advertised for sale, would be a good idea.
Good luck with your purchase, whether it's the one that brings you here or some other, A2s are great little cars and this forum will guide you towards the best owning experience.

Hello and welcome to this superb forum Surgeon. As Jeff has said more details are essential for a constructive opinion. If you have the registration number you could do a MOT check on the Government Web Site and have a snapshot of it's history. A large number of fails or advisories over it's lifetime points to lack of maintenance. If you can comeback with more details as there is many members with superb knowledge and always willing to offer help. Also we are luck to have at least 3 members who supply used and refurbished parts and an electrical genius.
John

Hi.
I see your in london. Check that the car is ulez compliant. And if possible get an independent review of the car done. I would be worried about lack of belt change info on a 16v. Also check condition of oil, and engine code. Think the bby is the more reliable , less emissions petrol engine out of the 2 1.4 available. Please recheck this info as i am a diesel owner. As said there is a wealth of info, experience on here but use Google search to find it!
Best of luck
Steve

Thank you ! Just a lovely forum.
This is the advert. I can’t seem to copy the link with my phone. It seems ok. Just no history or belt replacement.

Is the 1.6 fsi, a good version compared to the 1.4 petrol?

I owned a 1.6 Lupo once, is the engine similar?

1.6 fsi
Petrol
MOT until October 2021.
Tax until July 2021
Unfortunately looking to sell as a growing family means we need more seats
Only owned the car for past year and I recieved no service history with it unfortunately but have recently had the front trac rods, brake pads, thermostat housing and new water pipe done on it which added upto approx £750.

An amazing little car for its year of manufacturing includes
Electric windows and mirrors
4 colour coded seats
Few small scratch marks on body work which are age related and would be an easy tidy up for someone with time.

Runs beautifully
Great MPG

This is a photo from the ad
The owner has covered up the plate

Attachments

• 7248D083-A278-4B6D-9B61-3EB823683561.png
    7248D083-A278-4B6D-9B61-3EB823683561.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 211
There's lots of info on the 1.6fsi engined a2 on here. Due to a lack of understanding and maintenance on these engines they do tend to suffer. The aptly named BAD engine code was A2 specd only. So some parts are not interchangeable between other fsi 1.6 engines. I would ask seller to show that the mil check light comes on with ignition and goes off when engine running. As said before purchase i would get the car independently assessed and any fault codes read. Luckily there is a remapped fsi ecu that codes out the main fault on this engine(intake flaps tend to stick).
Best of luck
Steve

Welcome to the club. A suggestion. Tell your seller that you will buy subject to inspection, and if he says no, then run for the hills.

There is a highly recommended A2 specalist in West Hounslow called Gary who would do that for reasonable money. B&F Autos Ltd.

If the cambelt lets go, it really is "game over" The are masses of things that these cars don't like, the worst is being mucked about by people who don't undestand them. Missing documents is not a great starting point.

I am not connected to B&F, and £1700.00 is a little ambitious in my opinion with all that we know so far. Make sure that the seller takes it to the inspection, so if it goes "bang" it is "down to him"

Good luck.

Ask the seller to video the dash as they go through the starting sequence. You're looking for all dash lights (especially the EML) to be on at key position 1 (Ign On), and to go off when the engine starts.
Also,as already mentioned, you must ask for the Reg, so that you can check the MoT history. It is essential where you have no history. It will give a reliable insight into the car's life, and the level of care it's had.
A good FSI is, indeed a joy, and ULEZ compliant.
FSIs must be run on Super Unleaded, so be aware that fill ups will be cost a bit more. Mpg is likely to be high thirties (based on my experience) in mixed driving.
Good luck.
Mac.

@Surgeon
With no history, a service, cam belt, water pump tensioner etc must be carried out immediately. Likely cost £1500 upwards. So, actually the car is priced at £3000 plus. You must think this way as a buyer.
Mac.

Ask the seller to video the dash as they go through the starting sequence. You're looking for all dash lights (especially the EML) to be on at key position 1 (Ign On), and to go off when the engine starts.
Also,as already mentioned, you must ask for the Reg, so that you can check the MoT history. It is essential where you have no history. It will give a reliable insight into the car's life, and the level of care it's had.
A good FSI is, indeed a joy, and ULEZ compliant.
FSIs must be run on Super Unleaded, so be aware that fill ups will be cost a bit more. Mpg is likely to be high thirties (based on my experience) in mixed driving.
Good luck.
Mac.

Thank you
I didn’t realise that the 1.6 needs super unleaded.

Perhaps I will look for a 1.4.
The advice on here is amazing.

Is there a link on the forum for the sticking flaps. I never knew this was an issue

Hi.
It's only the 1.6 fsi that has the moveable intake flaps. If you search on google for Audi A2 intake manifold flap problems you should see a lot of info. But as said this issue can now be coded out by using a proboost ecu as sourced from Germany and sold on here.
Steve

Surely a service and timing belt kit fitted would be closer to £500!
Depends on the labour rates, and parts (OEM v Generic) used. OP is London based, so labour rates will be high. It'll probably need ARB bushes, and/or ARB replacement too. Certainly over £1000 imo.
Mac.

Thank you
I didn’t realise that the 1.6 needs super unleaded.

Perhaps I will look for a 1.4.
The advice on here is amazing.

Is there a link on the forum for the sticking flaps. I never knew this was an issue
A2OC strikes again! Welcome aboard, hope we can help you with any other prospective purchases. The flaps are only an issue on the 1.6. Look up the ProBoost thread for more info on all the FSI's ermmm ... peculiarities.

A2OC strikes again! Welcome aboard, hope we can help you with any other prospective purchases. The flaps are only an issue on the 1.6. Look up the ProBoost thread for more info on all the FSI's ermmm ... peculiarities.
Foibles is the word you're looking for Ian.
Like all thoroughbreds, the FSIs can be a little... attention seeking. Demanding in diet and care.
Worth the effort though!
Mac.

Back