hello - researching future a2 purchase

rob.e

Hello A2 folks, newbie here.

I'm researching a future A2 purchase, most likely i'll get something spring time next year, just looking around right now to see what's there and understand the differences between various vehicles and what options there are around. Always loved these but never had one - the alu construction was way ahead of it's time and will be a future classic i think. Also amazed how cheap these are and how many nice low miles cars there seem to be around - i guess this is 'cos lots of these must have been "second cars" so not racking up the miles.

I'm currently running a Skoda Octavia vRS 230 company car, but after many years of company cars i'm sick of the amount of money i'm paying in tax, plus i like to have something i can tweak and make my own but realistically the main driver is to save money. My communte is 110 miles round trip. Yes i do that pretty much every day.

I'm a serial car modifier. Pretty much everything i've ever had has been adjusted in some way; suspension, brakes, maps, wheels, seats etc. so i'm not averse to getting my hands dirty on the a2. Car history includes lots of fast stuff, sports cars.

My other vehicle is a 1978 vw t2 westfalia that was a wreck three years ago but is "almost" finished now.. (are these things every really finished?)

Some a2 questions for you guys:

I know the 1.4 tdi seems to be the vehicle of choice for minimising your fuel cost, and i'm not averse to one of these but i have a fear that older diesels are just about to be taxed/legislated off the road, so maybe the petrol is a better choice... in which case:

what is the point of the 1.4 petrol? It's less powerful than the 1.6 and does similar mpg. Surely the logical choice is the 1.6? I've read the arguments (1.4 simpler engine, 1.6 fsi can be a pain etc) but if i found a good 1.6 this would surely be the better choice? I'm coming from a daily with 230bhp so a 1.6 with 110 bhp would be my preference over the 1.4 with only 75!

Given the miles i do, it would make sense to get the car lpg converted. With lpg prices as they are i'm thinking it would be possible to have a 1.6 running lpg giving you somewhere near 100mpg effective mpg. Pie in the sky?

I perfer the seats and s/wheel in the "sport" version of the a2, but i've seen you guys who've swapped out tt seats/wheel etc so if i found the "perfect" SE spec car, and put a 3 spoke wheel and tt seats in there i'd be missing nothing from the sport other than the hard suspension? Right?

Any downsides if got a sport and put some 15" pepperpots on it? I'd happily take the lighter wheels, better economy and improved ride and lose some handling - it's not going to be a canyon carver at the end of the day.

Ride on Eibach/ bilsteins - better than stock? More comfortable day to day than factory "sport" setup?

Sorry for the long list of questions - i'm sure they'll be others too at some poing.

cheers
Rob

Welcome along Rob! Interesting choice of questions there. Answers (well actually more opinions) as best I can...

If your ultimate goal here is speed (which half of your description seems to suggest) then the 1.6 is a no-brainer really. Mind you, you're pretty much stuck with the 110bhp - I do not know of any performance mods (exhausts, chips etc.) that are available for the 1.6 petrol so no chance of "cheap upgrades". I know of nobody who has done an LPG conversion on a 1.6 petrol, and you're probably looking at £1.5k - 2k for a "custom" conversion. The other thing that you fail to have noticed is the fact that, yes a smooth running 1.6 is a great engine, but they tend to cost a lot of money when things go wrong (note I said WHEN), so the economy you've saved here is lost. The 1.6 is a fine car for tootling around, as a second car and the odd blast up the motorway, but I wouldn't recommend as a 110 mile-a-day car.

If however you are after economy (with potential for speed, which the other half of your description suggests) then the 1.4 Diesel is much more customisable. Having recently been in Timmus' 120 engined 1.4tdi I can certainly say it will trounce a 1.6 petrol for speed, both in acceleration and I've no doubt in ultimate top speed, and it will beat it hands down in economy. Whilst I appreciate worries about "Dirty Diesels" being taxed in the future, don't forget that most of the A2 TDis currently only cost £30/year as opposed to the 1.6 petrol which is about £130(?) - instant saving now, even if it quadruples (highly unlikely) you're still quids in. Plus, the other bonus of the TDI engine in your scenario is the longevity of the engine. My current Daily Driver is a prime example, having reached 203k miles last week it still pulls like a train, regularly triggering the traction control, and will cruise all day at legal speeds. Mine was recently remapped by Timmus and having driven all the different variants of A2 engines in the last 3 months the Diesel suits my needs, which are similar to yourself I feel (100 miles a day usually).

The TDi '75 is probably a better bet than the '90 as they are slightly more customisable and more forgiving. I'd suggest seeing if you can get a test drive (or driven) in a reasonably sorted tdi before making judgements.

Steering wheels are as you say, a relatively straight swap. I even have a spare Sports steering wheel for sale at the moment, which is identical to the TT unit. Seats, I'd stick with the A2 original ones if you can, the leather options come up reasonably frequently and are a 20 minute job to change over (an hour for the inexperienced), plus you usually get the matching rears too which will save money in the long run. I've personally got A1 wheels in my 2 cars at the moment, which are "going that extra mile", but not cheap and definitely not for the amateur fitter.

Wheels and tyres are hot topics frequently. Though, there is no issues putting the Pepperpots on Sports models.

Suspension is probably a good thing to change from stock, as this is one thing that Audi never seemed to get right. I'd do your research around the forum before deciding on which ones to choose, the best seem to be not necessarily the well known brands you suggest - this is actually next on my list of things to do for Baby Boomer.

Hope the above helps, as I say it's a set of opinions based on a similar desire. If you click on either of the Project names below in my signature you can see what I've done over the last year. Just remember that the A2 is NOT a sports car, never will be.

Regards,

JrB

Great answer there Jeremy and basically sums the cars up very fairly and accuartely. I'd highly recomend the TDI over any other models. Mine is currently running at around 138bhp and is still returning 50+ mpg with an occasional very heavy right foot.

If you are into tuning then I fear you would get bored of eiother petrol models because the tuning is quite limited. The TDI is only limited by your budget. A 1.9TDI conversion is not a massive job and could be done relatively cheaply.

I'd avoid LPG on an FSI. The FSI is so temperamental at the best of times that I would imagine a high temperature burning LPG would only add to your woes.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress.

Just another thing to add is that to my knowledge no other seats will fit directly into the A2 without some adaption, a shame really as there are so many heated leather mk1 tt seats at bargain prices on the market place.
Best of luck in your search!
Cheers Jeff

With regard to suspension, I've had the factory fitted sport setup on my TDi and it was poor - the usual term that's applied is crashy. I went to Koni FSDs and they were pretty good, certainly an upgrade, but they tailed off without me really noticing and eventually blew the top crimp out last year.

I've now fitted Bilstein B8 and with a taller side walled tyre, they are the best I've yet tried.

Seats, with modification, you can fit pretty much anything from the VAG parts bin, given deep pockets and welding skills. I have gone for mk2 TT seats as I loved the heated alcantara seats from my TT which I had for a few years. Mk1 TT only came in full leather or rarely, leather and fabric.

LPG - I know of a member who had his 1.4 petrol converted and loved it. I'd concur though, the 1.6 is a finicky beast at the best of times and would almost throw a hissy fit after conversion.

Bearing the costs in mind, no A2 is now an expensive car and I wouldn't worry about legislation forcing us off the road - many of the diesel A2s actually pass the London T charge, so there's a good few years yet.

Thanks guys - great info there, very useful.

As you figured, i'm not averse to some tinkering, so maybe a mapped tdi is the way to go. My camper has had stock seats, mk2 gti seats and now mx5 heated leather so i don't see a problem doing some basic fabrication to get some nice heated seats in the a2.

The a2 doesn't need to be a sports car though - one of the reasons for opting out of my company scheme and getting the a2 is that i will likely get something a bit quick to sit along side it at some point in the future just for weekend use/fun.

Koni fsd - had these way back on an earlier vrs, absolutely hated them so i won't touch these again, but lots of other interesting options out there (lots to read - great site btw) bilsteins would likely be my preference.

Well, if you're ever up this neck of the woods (Warrington area), you're welcome to have a play in my mapped TDi, with heated Mk2 TT seats and Bilsteins - I think you'll be hooked. With good tyres on, and a good feel for how to drive a diesel and use the torque, the A2 is a pretty nippy thing and what it loses in a straight line, it'll more than make up on bends and roundabouts.

I have a standard Tdi75. I would say I'm contented with the hp and it comfortably keeps up with all traffic without straining. I will probably chip it to 90hp next year.
Diesels are very reliable which is important if you are doing 100+ miles a day in a 13-18 year old car. Mine is SE but feels a bit crashy on low speed rough roads so I may soften the suspension to find a better ride/handling compromise.

‘Seats, with modification, you can fit pretty much anything from the VAG parts bin, given deep pockets and welding skills. I have gone for mk2 TT seats as I loved the heated alcantara seats from my TT which I had for a few years. Mk1 TT only came in full leather or rarely, leather and fabric’

I’d have to correct you Mike Skipton Re the mk 1 TT Seats as I have leather/alcantara heated in mine from factory, and like Your mk2 version lovely in the winter as they are warming to sit on initially and don’t burn your back side like full leather in the summer!!
Oh and the flowers aren’t there all the time, they were for my old mum lol!
Cheers Jeff

Attachments

• 363F04E1-64D2-4CAC-8D7D-FC20526BC607.jpeg
    363F04E1-64D2-4CAC-8D7D-FC20526BC607.jpeg
    769.5 KB · Views: 210
Well, if you're ever up this neck of the woods (Warrington area), you're welcome to have a play in my mapped TDi, with heated Mk2 TT seats and Bilsteins - I think you'll be hooked. With good tyres on, and a good feel for how to drive a diesel and use the torque, the A2 is a pretty nippy thing and what it loses in a straight line, it'll more than make up on bends and roundabouts.

Having had a little sample ride in Mike's A2, Tank, on Saturday, I'll vouch for the above!

Well, I stand corrected - never seen leather alcantara seats in an Ur TT.

Looking now at an old price list, I see that it was only the run out TT quattro sport and the front wheel drive 180PS models which came with alcantara. The rest had leather as standard and I bet many owners didn't swap out to what was and is seen as an inferior material.

I love it though and it seems pretty hard wearing.

thanks ! appreciate the offer but it's a long way from oxford unfortunately :(

Well, I stand corrected - never seen leather alcantara seats in an Ur TT.

Looking now at an old price list, I see that it was only the run out TT quattro sport and the front wheel drive 180PS models which came with alcantara. The rest had leather as standard and I bet many owners didn't swap out to what was and is seen as an inferior material.

I love it though and it seems pretty hard wearing.
May have been as it was an Audi car for 2 years and specced by them as apose to a customer, the Imola paint was a £1500 option too! Mines a 04 plate btw.
Cheers Jeff

Welcome to the club! You'll get lots of help from everyone.

The consensus seems to be for a TDi75. There are a lot of high mileage ones around (mine's just clocked up 228,000 miles) and with a light(ish) right foot you should get 65mpg or better.

A lot of people on here who drive an A2 diesel will say it's a better car as well as people who drive a fsi will say that's better. I drive a 1.6 fsi and it is an excellent car but i think whether it's petrol, diesel, 1.4. 1.6 they are all excellent.

I have always been biased towards the TDI A2s, never really had a petrol A2 until recently (after 16 years of owning and driving several TDIs)

I recently bought a 1.6 FSI and after driving it on my daily 50 round trip commute it has proved to be every bit as good as a TDI.

They are both very different to drive.
The tdi is pretty quick with BAGS of low down grunt and the ability to drive with fewer gear changes.
The tdi is ultra reliable, very economical and cheap to tax (£30 a year as long as the tdi was registered after 1st March 2001)

The FSI is a real flyer, light but punchy and so much fun if you like revving up to the red line it is a real pleasure to drive.

Both are great A2s (the 1.4 petrol ones are great too, but I haven't driven one much).

So does that mean that when someone asks me which they should buy I am torn between the two?
Unfortunately not. If asked I always recommend the TDI, but ONLY because of the reliability factor (and economy)

But if you are a keen DIYer a FSI (or 1.4 petrol) is well worth the occasional issue.

At the moment my FSI is running fine and so I am in no hurry to swap back to a tdi, especially since I have a long motorway slip road where I can rev through the range and REALLY enjoy it!

Whichever A2 version you choose, be prepared to be bitten by the bug!!!

Steve B

Humm, researching A2’s! I was doing this whilst on holiday in August as my son is 17 in March and it’s an ideal first car, never imagined getting anything for a few months, but by 12th August we had a project on the driveway!
Like you I have tinkered with cars all my life, Mk1 GTi’s, Mk2 16v, polo’s and more recently totally stripping the interior of my BMW to install a decent sound system. So I’m no stranger to a bit of spannering and the A2 really got under my skin. My son and I have now replaced all the rear suspension, including all rubber bushes, new front disc’s and pads, new exhaust, refurbished wheels etc etc. It was an MOT failure that was £400, once fixed up it flew through the MOT with no advisories.
It’s a 1.4 Petrol and the VED is £150 per year, it does 40mpg easily and is very quiet on the motorway. But the suspension is crashy at best on the 17” sport wheels. I could have modified the suspension and wheels, but a modded car for a 17 year old is bad news on insurance, so it stayed stock. But being a sport model it has decent seats and steering wheel already at least.
Whatever you choose, as others have said, these little cars really do get under your skin in the same way my old golfs used to. Good luck with it.

PS, I got loads of help on here and many parts cheaply from A2Steve, you’ve come to the right place

Last edited:
Humm, researching A2’s! I was doing this whilst on holiday in August as my son is 17 in March and it’s an ideal first car, never imagined getting anything for a few months, but by 12th August we had a project on the driveway!
Like you I have tinkered with cars all my life, Mk1 GTi’s, Mk2 16v, polo’s and more recently totally stripping the interior of my BMW to install a decent sound system. So I’m no stranger to a bit of spannering and the A2 really got under my skin. My son and I have now replaced all the rear suspension, including all rubber bushes, new front disc’s and pads, new exhaust, refurbished wheels etc etc. It was an MOT failure that was £400, once fixed up it flew through the MOT with no advisories.
It’s a 1.4 Petrol and the VED is £150 per year, it does 40mpg easily and is very quiet on the motorway. But the suspension is crashy at best on the 17” sport wheels. I could have modified the suspension and wheels, but a modded car for a 17 year old is bad news on insurance, so it stayed stock. But being a sport model it has decent seats and steering wheel already at least.
Whatever you choose, as others have said, these little cars really do get under your skin in the same way my old golfs used to. Good luck with it.

PS, I got loads of help on here and many parts cheaply from A2Steve, you’ve come to the right place

I’ve had 1.4 petrols 2 off they were both good. Also still got 2 1.4 tdi 75bhp both remapped by myself to around 105 ish. They are a hoot to drive and pull like a train. Yes the ride is harsh (I took my focus cc3 to work today and thought all the roads had been resurfaced)
I get 60 to 70 mpg depending on commute and outside temp

Best on the pearls was low 40’s
Tdi tax £30. Petrol £150
Insurance the same

Game over tdi all the way

Btw one tdi at 153,000 and the other at 288,600 miles neither as had any engine work other than timing belts and water pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back