Hey all

Scubadude

Quick hello to all members I’m new to the a2 scene perusing for some information before I buy a car.
I’m based in Cumbria how do the tdis handle the hills? Very informative so far cannot wait to take the leap!

Welcome. The Tdi75 is the most reliable, especially remapped. Fit a rear anti roll bar to reduce roll, and they are fun!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Very well, handle anything really, a remap 75 goes even better, never been in a 90 thou

Quick hello to all members I’m new to the a2 scene perusing for some information before I buy a car.
I’m based in Cumbria how do the tdis handle the hills? Very informative so far cannot wait to take the leap!
Welcome,
Not answering your handling query; but my local independent all make garage here in east Kent had an 02 reg 1.4 TDI with 158,000 miles up for £1750 a few days ago.
It appears to have sold already. It had bad bumper scrapes and scuffed alloys and centres.
I only stopped to compare it to mine; and interestingly, the salesman said it was the first A2 he'd seen in the 14 years he'd been there.

Seeing that nobody else has answered your question about handing hills; my remapped tdi75 easily tackles Hardknott and Wrynose in much the same way that I can remember doing in an original Mini Cooper S around 50 years ago. It would hold (at least) the national speed limit up to the top of Shap on the M6 too. They're great cars.

And being up in Cumbria you are very close to the guru that is Timmus (Tom Cunningham).
If you do get a 75 TDI and it's not mapped, he is your man.
He's based near Lancaster.

That’s great news not too far a trip to get things sorted. Think I will take the plunge and get my first a2 not entirely sure what I would require spec wise but a sound daily runner a must. I could always upgrade or get another at a later date

That’s great news not too far a trip to get things sorted. Think I will take the plunge and get my first a2 not entirely sure what I would require spec wise but a sound daily runner a must. I could always upgrade or get another at a later date

Plenty of info and discussion available on here with regards to which spec is right for what usage - welcome and enjoy

Mine is standard Tdi 75bhp. It is fine with Scotland hills as long as I change down a gear.
Remap for more BHP, Torque and (I think) economy is a great idea.

I live and work in the Cotswolds (far from flat!!) and run a pair of TDI’s (75’s) one is remapped, the other not but they both gobble up hills like I do a bacon and egg sandwich!!! The combination of a light weight car and a torquey little engine makes for a perfect up hill and down dale vehicle in my opinion

I can drive from the Corran ferry to the Ardnamurchan point pretty much in third gear all the way (with a bit of fourth now and then). That’s some fairly hilly Highland country and goes around (and over bits of) a number of volcanic bumpy bits and is single track through a number of forests.

My mum’s Corsa (with a 1.2 turbo petrol) was struggling to stay in second gear for a lot of the bumpy bits and had periods of shifting to first half way up a hill or stall out.

It may not sound a lot - 75 or 90 - but the torque is fantastic. I can’t remember how often I’ve accidentally taken off from a standstill in third by mistake (before I fixed that...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments seems a great car for the roads in my area. Actively hunting a car at the moment hopefully not too long until I get to enjoy it. How does the remap affect fuel economy and engine wear etc?

Almost all my motoring is in South Devon and on Dartmoor. When I first bought my tdi75 (not remapped as far as I know) I was astonished and delighted at the way it handles country roads and hills - torquey and flexible engine, light weight, narrow body.

Thanks for the comments seems a great car for the roads in my area. Actively hunting a car at the moment hopefully not too long until I get to enjoy it. How does the remap affect fuel economy and engine wear etc?
Economy depends how you drive it, and longevity depends how you look after it. Whatever you buy give it an oil and filters change, including gearbox oil. A Tdi75 is almost unburstable!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mine is remapped but I can’t say I’ve noticed any real difference in mpg at all. A fair bit more poke so I’m probably occasionally being a bit heavier on the pedal but it seems to even out to the same mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always get a second hand ecu and get that remapped and immo off,i used another great contributor to this forum cost about £65 all in and still have my original ecu

I'm also in Cumbria so maybe catch up with you when you find one.
The TDi75 is no problem with the hills - the gearing is in fact quite short and I've even managed to get up Hardknott Pass.

Back