Hi all, fresh A2 owner

LempsPC

Hi all.

I'm a fresh owner of a 2001 Audi A2 1.4TDI 55KW.
Just got it a few days ago for a bargain. Car is located in Tallinn, Estonia, Europe.

Bodywork seems fine, no dents found, some small scratches maybe somewhere, needs polishing to get shine back, nothing major.

Engine starts fine a bit of white smoke can be seen from exhaust when engine is running cold, with warm engine everything seems fine.

Gearbox has its quirks: level seems to be a bit off compared to original so inorder to engage for example 2'nd gear i have to put lever: to the left end, let it come back a bit and then pull back into gear. Meanwhile all gears work and stay in place.

Most problems with this car are electrically related:
front door window regulatoirs dont work. Rear doors (with handcrankable windows) also don't lock.
Fuel lid doesn't open from button, must open from boot everytime I go to gas station.
ABS and ASR lights are present in the instrument cluster. VCDS tells front left ABS sensor fault.
Trunk doesn't open electronically: a string is attached which can be pulled to release trunk latch from inside.

Currently car has no MOT, but drives well.

Current plans for plan: to fix it up and keep it in a good condition for a start.
120532058_253914575958290_5369702160999977608_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here I have some questions regarding of its repair:
There aren't many A2 in Estonia, only a handful and spares are sparse. I myself am still a uni student and working on a tight budget so most of the repairs i do myself with help from a friend who works as a car mechanic.

This car is LHD (steering wheel is on the left side) and part nr. for window regulator motor unit has been tried to repair by someone and they have ruined the module: motor is busted and control module also doesn't work. Need whole new unit. Original code: 8Z1959801A.

I found available replacement with code 8Z2959801A which is imported from UK.
Will it work with My A2 right away ? or will car think I have 2 passenger doors ? Can it be recoded and is there a need for it ?

Hello from the other side of the water :)

buy only the 8z1 parts, the 8z2 may be different and wierd and the door controllers know where they are supposed to be... there is no coding to be done. Did you already try looking in Germany?

- Bret

Thank you for reply. I'm really brokoe and 200€ to pay just for window regulator motor is wayy to expensive for me. Yes, in Germany there are many of those motors for sale in that price range. 8Z2 part from local spare parts store is 30€, that's the difference. I'm willing to do DIY jobs, I can even resolder components in order to save some cash. i will look for some more stores that have A2 for parts in Estonia, maybe they have these regulator motor units lying around.

The name "regulator motor" is not correct. It is a complete door control module; it controls the window, mirror, and the lights (as it's the driver's door). The reason the fuel button doesn't work is that the door is not detected as being open... and it's the driver's door, which is another reason you will need the 8z1 part.
I am not aware of a possiblity to reflash a TSG (as they're called in German) from one side to another. The phyiscal layout is different for each side, but the 8Z2 vs 8Z1 differences - I don't know.

Try pinging Lau on the German forum, he might know. Also maybe check there if you can find a TSG.

- Bret

Thank you again for help. Found 1 place selling complete regulator motor unit for 55€. Will buy it soon from there.
I think there might be problem with my CCCM, because:

* no door locks and unlocks from remote. I have to lock and unlock each door manually
* no internal lights work
* front electric window regulators aren't working
* when plugging in VCDS gives these codes:
Address 17: Instruments
Part No: 8Z0 920 900
3 Faults Found:
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
49-00 - No Communications
01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388)
01334 - Door Control Module; Rear Right (J389)

My current CCCM is labeled as 8Z0959433H
And again: local parts store has available these units: 8Z0959433P and 8Z0959433AF.
Will these work for my Audi ? Is there any information what these letters in the end mean?
I know I need to code them after I install new module into car, but how could I get coding from previous module if it isn't working at all?

Ordered working regulator motor with door control module and comfort module ending with AF, both should work then.

1 more question, maybe someone can enlighten me: This car does not have cruise control installed, but it can be done if car is tempomat ready/has tempomat? I still don't quite get it. (I have previously Installed cruise control into 2001 VW Passat 1.9TDI). Is there a way I can see if I can also just buy a cruise control kit and install it myself?

Some time has passed and now progress report time:

Got comfort module and window regulator module. Both work as expected.
got actuator motor for trunk: now trunk again operates from the button, not rope
Went to MOT and found that front brake disks and pads must be replaced. Also 1 rear brake works much less than another. MOT was fail.
Ordered new disc brakes and pads from ATE. Rear drum cylinders from Brembo.

Started to replace, discovered front right spring is broken and front left shock absorber is badly worn.
While replacing some bolts were so rusted that rear brake lines had to be replaced: made new ones from copper tube.
Also slider for front right caliper was previously over-tightened and wont tighten down anymore.
when trying to flush brake system flush valve from front left caliper straight up broke off: had to drill through and install temporary bolt so I could drive home from garage.
Now I need:
* front right AND left wheel bearing housing with wheel bearing and ABS sensor
* front shocks and springs kit with everything included
* front brake calipers
* front lower control arms

some other issued I noticed, but do not require immediate repairs:
* engine idles rough when cold: plays with rpm's around 10 sec and then settles down
* some oil leak detected around turbo, need to investigate further
* fuel lid still doesn't open electronically (can be opened from the trunk)

This car is starting to get more and more into project car i didn't want it to become. It was supposed to be daily driver but in reality I'm sourcing parts with Audi A6.

Last edited:
Second update:
Last week I got all I need to replace everything broken in front axle. Spent Saturday replacing lower control arms, wheel bearing hubs, brakes etc.
Now it drives like new.
Still cant go to MOT, because ABS and ASR light went on. While looking with friend's VCDS (because mine has broken FTDI chip) front left is fine, but right one is broken. So soon disassembly is underway with ABS sensor replacement, also checking for any connectivity issues

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-10-26 12-17-07.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-26 12-17-07.png
    714.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Your hard work is making this another rescued A2 brought back to life :) I always find looking at shiny new front disks very satisfying -the new look does not last long unfortunately. Good luck with the MOT.

Thank you for such a positive feedbak. Yes, looking at new brake disks is nice. Also knowing that I just also repainted wheel bearing housings and brake calipers for rust prevention adds a lot to a build. Restoring used, but fine parts to new looks is really satisfying to work on.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-10-26 15-12-25.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-26 15-12-25.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 212
Third update:
FTDI chip is replaced and reprogrammed on my VCDS (since my main job is being an embedded software engineer this wasn't an issue), now works like a charm.

After replacing ABS sensor with new one, problem persisted. Finally found out what was happening: because old ABS sensor plug was broken I decided to cut the wire and solder new plug, but I ignored polarity. When I switched ABS sensor wires and resoldered everything the problem was fixed.
Wisdom of the post: ABS sensor polarity matters!

Went to MOT and passed without any further problems.

Things to do next:
  • wash, wax exterior, maybe polish?
  • detail interior, so finally I can drive around with clean car and nice-looking car
  • investigate door lock issues: doors can lock, but rear doors have issues unlocking themselves, door lock/unlock module disassembly underway in the future
  • investigate fuel door actuator issue
Next things are coming later and more makes it into project on its own rather than repair or maintenance:
  • completely service rear axle (front axle is done already), replace rear springs, shocks, brakes, all worn bushings etc.
  • add sound insulation into doors (at least, later on the floor and wheelarches also
  • this car does not have speakers in rear doors, so I probably will design and 3d-print brackets for lower 6.5" midbass speakers and buy some decent aftermarket component speakers and then wire them accordingly (have done similiar job in Passat B5.5).
    Current audio configuration has original Blaupunkt speakers in front doors and some aftermarket 1-DIN head unit which has AUX and USB functionality, but not bluetooth.
  • I already have AMP and subwoofer laying around from previous cars so now it's time to install it somewhere, trying to keep OEM look as much as possible
  • later project would be also replacing current 1-din aftermarket head unit with RNS-E (already have one in A6) or RNS-e looking 2-din android head unit

4'th update:

Some time has passed, still driving my A2.

• Bought cruise control and installed it in winter.
  • Replaced rear left wheel bearing in June 2021, this made car so much quieter.
  • Replaced tires, old ones were leaking air.
  • Installed random subwoofer with amp in trunk, made it easily removable if more trunk space is needed.
Started working with Automatic Climate Control, AC part doesn't seem to work. VCDS shows internal temperature sensor and pressure switch are faulty. Ordered new internal temperature sensor from Hella. Ordered new pressure switch. Turned out pressure switch's thread is NOT M10-based as is new switch so I returned it and ordered new one. Still not sure what thread is on AC radiator where you install pressure switch.

Lately passenger door stopped cooperating electrically (no lock, power mirror, power window etc.). Haven't got time to investigate what's the issue, will make some updates about it soon.

Overall car runs and drives fine, have been using it as my daily and really happy about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210714_174734.jpg
    IMG_20210714_174734.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 156
Ordered bunch of used spare parts from parts cars from Lithuania (cheap parts and postage within week), basically every bit that is missing from my car, ordered it.
Automatic climate control was diagnosed, culprit is AC compressor itself: during leak testing it leaked from every possible orifice, rest of the loop is fine. Still haven't found used compressor in good condition and reasonable price, maybe will buy new AC compressor.

Recently I captured information about my car's option list from option sticker, wrote everything from option sticker to here, can be used for reference if I ask about installing some optional extras to this car with its current options.
1310 48-1-0046 186 54
WAUZZZ 8ZZ 1N027751
8Z0 044
A2 TDI 1.4 r3
55 KW M5S

engineAMFtransEWQ
ColorLZ5RN1D/YB
e0Ano action0GE4UE6XD5SL5RU
1KBsuspension for bad roadsJOR1LY1AT
3FAno OSS1GA7X04R5
F0Ano special equipmentOL28GLOG40YHJ24
TOU3-cil turbodiesel3NC8BBUOBXOA1N2
2PGsteering wheel with airbag9QO8Z5M6F
7QOwithout radio navigation systemC3V4X16R1
3L3Manual-adjusted front seats4F15D0
1SAwithout engine protective mouldings4GH
VV0Q1A

Some explanations are missing, adding them when I find descriptions for most of the codes.
Decoded codes thanks to this thread

I also have Webasto auxilarry heater installed, seems like it is aftermarket option, because it is not listed in the options sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_103827.jpg
    IMG_20210813_103827.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 144
I can only help with some information on your Webasto I’m afraid. From memory, on early cars, the Webasto was fitted as standard and replaced later by an electronic heater. I don’t think it was ever offered as an option.

I can only help with some information on your Webasto I’m afraid. From memory, on early cars, the Webasto was fitted as standard and replaced later by an electronic heater. I don’t think it was ever offered as an option.
Thank you for your answer. Additional Webasto aux. heater itself works great in colder temperatures and was a big help in winter months. However currently it is only an additional heater and starts working when engine is already running and ACC reports low temperatures. My plan would be to convert it to a vehicle preheater so I could remotely preheat the car using Webasto aux. heater before turning on the engine. This however needs more research on how it can be done and whal is needed for this conversion.

Back