Hi from Bedford

A2Dreamer

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

Hope everyone's doing ok through these turbulent times....

Firstly, thanks to Darren for sorting the IT issue that was stopping me registering.

I'm on the hunt for my first A2, probably going to be used to teach my errant 17 year old lad to drive in (not looking forward to that!!) But also for solo long distance runs for work as thinking might be avoiding public transport for a while.

Still a little undecided as to engine, but any pointers welcome....

TDI low tax, low insurance, remappable if I fancy and great economy. Now considered dirty though and may get legislated out of the city!

1.4 petrol higher tax low insurance but have read a bit underpowered and stressed in this car?

1.6 fsi probably great but higher tax and insurance still and lower economy...

Think I'm erring towards the tdi but could be persuaded either way... would prefer a 90 but there don't seem to be many about.

Currently in the stable are original gen 1 honda insight (actually 2 and both currently off the road), Td5 discovery and a T4 Westy camper.

Kind regards

Pete

For the long distance runs I would suggest a TDI and the 75bhp version, the TDI’s eat miles very well. The clutch in that is a solid flywheel so will stand up to learner abuse better than the DMF in the 90.

If you can find an FSI with no fault codes and running well, they are actually the best of both worlds. They can easily achieve 50mpg and and quiet and smooth. Find a good one to start with and I now provide a remap from Germany that gets rid of a lot of the FSI’s gremlins.

Welcome Pete and thanks for your understanding (and patience) regarding the registration approval.

There are plenty of threads on here about the pros and cons of all variants, you've likely read many of them. Don't be put off by the light weight 1.4 petrol if you don't need the extra torque of the diesel. The driving dynamic of the A2 is excellent regardless of power train, and working the engine and gear box of the 1.4 can be just as rewarding as the instant power/torque of the derv counterparts, especially on some twisty B roads.

Thanks to the cherished nature of A2s on here and the great community, even the FSI can have some of its teething troubles ironed out courtesy of @A2Steve and his middle-man efforts to supply well-regarded modified ECUs.

The diesels are a force to be reckoned with thanks to the punchy turbo, but are heavier. We'd be second guessing, but who knows if diesel will be penalized sooner than petrol cars.

Plenty of advice will follow, the best advice is to find a car with a good history and a cherished owner. This applies regardless of engine and spec. Thanks to the aluminium space frame and other components, plus items like plastic wings, the dreaded rot is confined mostly to the underpinnings and loved A2s can last the test of time.

One other thing, if you go to your account settings, for a one off nominal fee you have access to the marketplace and any members cars that might be for sale. Always a good place to start.

Best of luck with your search.

Darren

Thanks for the welcome and comments, I wondered why there were no cars for sale in market place.

I'll pay the sub and have a look!

If anybody knows of any good ones for sale, please do let me know.

Kind regards

Thanks for the welcome and comments, I wondered why there were no cars for sale in market place.

I'll pay the sub and have a look!

If anybody knows of any good ones for sale, please do let me know.

Kind regards
Welcome. Not many cars up for sale at present, likely reflects lockdown effect, but also watch Spotted as you can monitor interesting cars pointed out by members on other media. Might be putting my Dolphin Grey 84k 1.6FSI Sport on the market shortly if my mother doesn’t want it, feel free to search details and pics on a recent post here if interested, hopefully not flouting Market protocols but intend to offer to this community when I know and after I’ve attended to some mechanical maintenance items.

Last edited:
Thanks, just let me know on the fsi when the time comes.

I'm talking with a chap at the moment on a tdi 90 local to me. On the face of it, looks nice but turns out to have been a cat D write off at some point (in fairness to him, he didn't know!). I think we're both struggling to understand where that might put it price wise...

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete.
Welcome to this excellent, informative website. There is quite a following for this quirky, baby audi. And a very reliable used parts offering on here.
As the A2 is mostly an aluminium car, with aluminium panels being costly to repair replace. I wouldn't be put off by buying an a2 cat d insurance write off, just ask or get info on when/why it was registered cat d? What repairs were done, if suspension damage get the car fully inspected(but this would be covered by an mot). As said the tdi 75 is the most reliable of the models. But with most of the gremlins now sorted on the fsi, and well documented on here, it's becoming an attractive alternative for genuine petrol heads.
Good luck with your search
Steve

If it was a cat D within the last couple of years then it could have been something as minor as a scuff. The age and value means that insurers write them off with very minimal damage. If you can live with the tag then don’t be put off.

Back