Hi - new member in Hebden Bridge West Yorks

gcrhill

Just joined the club.

Its a blue 1.4SE petrol no other obvious options with full main dealer audi history and one owner from Jan 2001 to 2018. I bought from its second owner who has also had it serviced and maintained annually and it really is a credit inside and out. It has come with advisory free MOT and half a tank of petrol. It also has a private plate which is worth more than the car because it has one little problem…..it was Cat S after another vehicle scratched it all down nearsid while it was parked (mostly this is just cosmetic like its been keyed) and then unfortunately it must have turned in which has punctured a hole by the rear light fitting. I have the metal that was torn away and its been safely taped up to MOT standard as temporary/permanent solution. The car is far too good to scap so I plan to try and run it for the next year and see if its fixable for pocket money and give it a full interior and exterior detail to a professional standard. It was advertised for sale unusually on car and classics - the only one at the time.

The car is now located in Hebden Bridge West Yorkshire.

Welcome aboard :)

What a shame about the damage, but there's a fair amount of good news :) With a little care for electrical compatibility, the doors are easy to replace entire, and the front wings and rear arches just bolt on. The hole in the rear quarter panel should be the only bit that will need bodywork.

If you can find the car's paint code, you could start the hunt for panels on here. Try the inside cover of your service book, or look for a sticker somewhere in the underfloor compartment in the boot, where the battery lives. You want the four-character code which will start with an L e.g. LY7R if it's Crystal Blue. Failing that a photo would allow us to identify the colour.

Then a Wanted ad on our Marketplace would hopefully get you some responses. Check in also with our resident ethical breakers @A2Steve and @Clackers, in South Wales and North Wales respectively. Only thing is, you'll need to be prepared to travel to collect, or agree to meet up, as panels basically aren't postable any more. But even the largest of your requirements, the front door, will fit across the back of your A2 with the rear seat(s) folded down or removed.

Good luck in your search and feel free to ask any questions, we love to help :)

Last edited:
hey many thanks for the welcome.
the doors and front wing are just going to get touched in for now but the rear panel is the issue.
thanks for info about paint code its LZ5R and there is a spec on front of service book which I hadnt spotted. I have no idea what the other codes mean. Answers welcome!,

Attachments

• D1F93AAA-E2FB-4F6F-91E4-34BA3F023DBA.jpeg
    D1F93AAA-E2FB-4F6F-91E4-34BA3F023DBA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
hey many thanks for the welcome.
the doors and front wing are just going to get touched in for now but the rear panel is the issue.
thanks for info about paint code its LZ5R and there is a spec on front of service book which I hadnt spotted. I have no idea what the other codes mean. Answers welcome!,
The codes relate to the original options fitted.
This post in thread 'Remote Locking' https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/remote-locking.47945/post-461887 includes a decoder
Oh and welcome!

OK so there's your code for touch-up paint, it's called Atlantic Blue.

Also from that label it looks like you've got an early car with the hard-touch switches, a 'Swing' (dark grey) interior with (I think) leather seats with cargo nets on the backs of the front ones. That all came from the N1D/YB, which represents seats/interior colour scheme. Swing and hard-touch were both discontinued for the 2002 model year which started in 2001/51, although late registrations of previous model year dealer stock on a '51 plate are sometimes seen.

Your engine code is AUA - the earlier 1.4 petrol with one shared coil pack rather than four individual ones. I don't know enough of the codes for the other options fitted but the decoder linked above will help you if you're interested.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, sir,

Sound like a smashing little car. As has already been said by those wiser than I, an advert for replacement panels in our market place on here would be a good idea.

A photo of the offending rear quarter panel could also be useful. Just thinking of cutting out the hole and welding in a replacement panel. There are quite a few historic car/motor sport types about. One of our ethical breakers might allow the appropriate butchery on something that was on its way to the crusher. Having donated all its vital organs naturally.

Best of luck.

car was registered January 2001 so quite early I guess and originally an X plate. It has grey fabric seats not leather with nets in the back they are in really great condition - no marks or wear at all so maybe even had covers on them and never carried anything in the back so far as I can tell. Will post pictures after we have done a diagnostic check on it tommorrow afternoon to check and clear codes after a battery swap for brand new one. It appears to have developed a few errors since faultless drive home with temp spot on apart from glowing EPC warning after a few miles but didn't seem to affect performance at all e.g. coolant warning and oil warning but both appear to be fine on visual inspection. Good idea to potentially get.a rescue panel to weld over the top! The starter motor is making a noise after car has turned over so looks like there will be a few early jobs to sort out.

I did think I remembered N1D for the seats as the Satellite upgrade fabric (a pattern of little white squares) but then the linked code translator said part-leather, which made sense because leather ones would also get the plastic inserts with the rear nets. I'll be surer of my memory next time!

Good luck with the diagnostics. The squeal on the starter motor will be the pinion retraction mech needing greasing up, it's staying engaged too long after the engine catches. "They all do that, sir" :)

car was registered January 2001 so quite early I guess and originally an X plate. It has grey fabric seats not leather with nets in the back they are in really great condition - no marks or wear at all so maybe even had covers on them and never carried anything in the back so far as I can tell. Will post pictures after we have done a diagnostic check on it tommorrow afternoon to check and clear codes after a battery swap for brand new one. It appears to have developed a few errors since faultless drive home with temp spot on apart from glowing EPC warning after a few miles but didn't seem to affect performance at all e.g. coolant warning and oil warning but both appear to be fine on visual inspection. Good idea to potentially get.a rescue panel to weld over the top! The starter motor is making a noise after car has turned over so looks like there will be a few early jobs to sort out.
Starter motor noise like an overrun is almost standard don't worry too much about that one.....

I prefer this option code checker.

Andy
many thanks this was a lot easier to use and gave me the following - some things are easier to check than others!

PRCode: 0G4 = Cable gearshift
PRCode: 0GG = Emission standard EU4
PRCode: 0L2 = Electric throttle actuation
PRCode: 0YG = Weight range 7 installation control only no requirement forecast
PRCode: 1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
PRCode: 1GA = Front shock absorption basic design 1
PRCode: 1KB = Drum brakes rear
PRCode: 1MR = Leather steering wheel - this is present and correct
PRCode: 1N2 = Power steering electro-hydraulic
PRCode: 1SA = Without additional engine guard
PRCode: 3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
PRCode: 3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats - this is present and correct
PRCode: 3NC = Rear seat bench/backrest split folding - this is present and correct
PRCode: 4GH = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield
PRCode: 4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking - this is present and correct
PRCode: 4R5 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker mechanical window regulators rear - this is present and correct
PRCode: 4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
PRCode: 4X1 = Side air bag front
PRCode: 5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
PRCode: 5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
PRCode: 6R2 = Leather gearshift boot - this is present and correct
PRCode: 6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical large viewing field
PRCode: 6XC = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable - this is present and correct
PRCode: 7Q0 = Without navigation device - this is present and correct
PRCode: 7X0 = Without park distance control - this is present and correct
PRCode: 8BF = Halogen headlight for driving on the left
PRCode: 8GD = Alternator 90A
PRCode: 8Z5 = Not hot country
PRCode: 9Q0 = Without multi-function display/ on-board computer - this is present and correct
PRCode: C3N = Alloy wheels 6.5J x 16 - this is present and correct
PRCode: E0A = No special edition
PRCode: F0A = No special purpose vehicle standard equipment
PRCode: J0R = Battery 380 A (80 Ah)
PRCode: J25 = Suspension range 25
PRCode: MN7 = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.4 L/55 kW 16V multi-point injection base engine is T1Q/T99/TK0
PRCode: Q1A = Standard front seats
PRCode: T1Q = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.4 L unit 036.D (aluminum)
PRCode: U0K = Instrument insert with clock mph speedometer
PRCode: VV0 = Standard front axle
PRCode: X2B = National sales program Great Britain

here is the damage to the rear panel - thoughts on this welcome. The tape solution is cheapest and gives it character!

Attachments

• 55B8DD60-8400-401C-A5B3-71857C18CE48.jpeg
    55B8DD60-8400-401C-A5B3-71857C18CE48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • 8377AEA1-4906-4C9A-B9F5-575B96CCFD21.jpeg
    8377AEA1-4906-4C9A-B9F5-575B96CCFD21.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
  • 13D0A587-A060-4B2F-B295-CED03AE4CE89.jpeg
    13D0A587-A060-4B2F-B295-CED03AE4CE89.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 166
  • CF247CD7-EA06-4022-8807-08AC8337F52D.jpeg
    CF247CD7-EA06-4022-8807-08AC8337F52D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
completed the interior clean and detail. It has original mats throughout just wear on drivers heel area. Everything is pretty much as new - all the switchgear is pretty much unmarked as are the seats and underneath the seats when lifted all clean. All of the the interior features work as I have tested them all today. Adjusted washer jets as too low.

Attachments

• 8C705AA9-79B4-49A6-AE39-8E79F9701BFB.jpeg
    8C705AA9-79B4-49A6-AE39-8E79F9701BFB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
  • F5B6F3CF-61A3-486F-9D88-F7231992ACDC.jpeg
    F5B6F3CF-61A3-486F-9D88-F7231992ACDC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
  • A6B141B7-B102-4FE1-8538-45700B722753.jpeg
    A6B141B7-B102-4FE1-8538-45700B722753.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • 7ADED557-FF88-45A2-881B-34A307EC5792.jpeg
    7ADED557-FF88-45A2-881B-34A307EC5792.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 140
  • 43D5D2FA-E454-4628-BBC0-1FCF271AED19.jpeg
    43D5D2FA-E454-4628-BBC0-1FCF271AED19.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 148
  • 68FA1025-3215-4AFC-8B9E-194F47615745.jpeg
    68FA1025-3215-4AFC-8B9E-194F47615745.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • AFC0F142-5B84-4269-9DDB-1A9CB3EA26AC.jpeg
    AFC0F142-5B84-4269-9DDB-1A9CB3EA26AC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • 2D9070CF-75ED-4E18-9556-1FE3242A7F4A.jpeg
    2D9070CF-75ED-4E18-9556-1FE3242A7F4A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
It's a lovely interior, obviously a well-kept car, so what a shame about the rear quarter panel. Sadly, body shops that are able to deal with aluminium are few and far between, hence why insurers are so keen to write them off these days. At that height I wonder if it was a flatbed van or a lorry or something.

Thanks for replying. Yes I think it was a lorry or similar - apparently it was parked at the time…..it also has a full length scratch like its been keyed down the same side which may be related. Although that is a wavy scratch not at same height. That can be touched in for now so have ordered some touch up paint and lacquer for when I start on the exterior clean up. Thanks to forum identifying the colour code as Atlantic Blue.

Hi
Did you manage to sort your coachwork out? A2steve has a breaker at the moment, and by accident I have discovered an alloy body wizard in Somerset. Charlies garage in Somerton. Charlies Classic and Custom Body and Paint. He is worth contacting.

As ever, all the best
Simon

Back