Holidays..........

Anyone thinking of coming to Cornwall this summer.....think again....the following few facts may make you change your mind.
Our main hospital is in melt down.....so much so that it featured in a question to the PM .....15 ambulances waiting outside the Accident and Emergency dept and treatment times of up to 12 hours...............Whatever you do don't get sick........
Multiple stabbings when two members of the public tried to stop two 16 year olds from wrecking a car parked in the town centre..........so if you want to risk your A2 park it outside of a town centre at night........
Police response times measured in hours rather than minutes............that's if they can be bothered to turn up.
Don't call an ambulance......apart from the fact its probably waiting outside A+E its can take hours for them to attend a call....a recent RTA involving a motorcycle left the rider lying in the road for 3 hours before they arrived......
Add to that the cost of parking in most of the towns being seen as a cash cow by the local council and an hour in some places being £3.50.....bring plenty of change........
Traffic chaos.....the main A30 through the county has miles and miles of queues some of the worst being in West Cornwall.........added to that there have been a couple of serious accidents when impatient drivers have decided to do a U turn across double white lines into traffic coming in the opposite direction...............so if you're planning to tour the county pack a picnic to eat at the side of the road while you wait for the traffic to move..........
All in all stay at home save your money and save yourself the frustration of a ruined holiday...............
Oh and before anyone thinks I'm giving a negative view.......... I live here and try to get away from the place at every opportunity because Cornwall isn't what you see on the telly...................its a deprived, rundown, underfunded, badly managed part of the UK............don't just visit the seaside towns, go inland and visit the towns off the tourist track...........

Don't know which part of Cornwall your from but I have been there for the last week and I totally recommend it,the A30 had a bit of a tail back when lanes funnels into one,but soon cleared and we where moving again.The place is clean,food is excellent,we stayed in a cottage that was faultless,the beaches are something else,people are very kind and helpful.I carn't comment on the hospitals as thankfully either my wife or myself didn't need one,fuel is a lot cheaper than where we live.No problems with parking,and we got alot free as where members of the national trust.Will be making are way back home tomorrow,to see what mess the daughter has made while we have been away...ha

I would sooner be in Cornwall than Lincolnshire

Thanks
Pete

Just home from a week in Cornwall. 4 hour run home with a stop to pee!
Only hold up was south bound on A30 due to a van n trailer so dual carriageway down to 1 lane. Fair tailback.
Wish our roads were in as good condition. My Sport on 17" rims would have been right at home! See they are surface dressing roads in good nick. If u want potholes come to Gloucestershire.
Parking reasonable in most places, even honesty boxes in some. Had a great week just chilling!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Don't know which part of Cornwall your from but I have been there for the last week and I totally recommend it,the A30 had a bit of a tail back when lanes funnels into one,but soon cleared and we where moving again.The place is clean,food is excellent,we stayed in a cottage that was faultless,the beaches are something else,people are very kind and helpful.I carn't comment on the hospitals as thankfully either my wife or myself didn't need one,fuel is a lot cheaper than where we live.No problems with parking,and we got alot free as where members of the national trust.Will be making are way back home tomorrow,to see what mess the daughter has made while we have been away...ha

I would sooner be in Cornwall than Lincolnshire

Thanks
Pete
Glad you enjoyed yourselves have a safe trip home, sadly you've probably seen the touristy things........many who visit don't see the non tourist areas its all Poldark and pretty views, but sadly as with many industrial areas the main local towns are suffering .....very low wages and poor work prospects.......
Just have a look at local house prices.........especially in the more touristy areas ......then consider that many here only earn minimum or if lucky living wages.............homes at even £120k (you won't find many cheaper) are out of the reach of most.....sad but true......and so we have a lot of houses used as second homes easily afforded by those from up country where wages are far better than could be expected here..
One aside of this is that many young people leave Cornwall to earn better wages and have a better life leaving a shortage people to do some of the jobs you may take for granted, this also means we have people with little skill backed into a poverty trap........

Glad you enjoyed yourselves have a safe trip home, sadly you've probably seen the touristy things........many who visit don't see the non tourist areas its all Poldark and pretty views, but sadly as with many industrial areas the main local towns are suffering .....very low wages and poor work prospects.......
Just have a look at local house prices.........especially in the more touristy areas ......then consider that many here only earn minimum or if lucky living wages.............homes at even £120k (you won't find many cheaper) are out of the reach of most.....sad but true......and so we have a lot of houses used as second homes easily afforded by those from up country where wages are far better than could be expected here..
One aside of this is that many young people leave Cornwall to earn better wages and have a better life leaving a shortage people to do some of the jobs you may take for granted, this also means we have people with little skill backed into a poverty trap........
Best grab my tools and move to Cornwall then,I see there is a lot of building going on there,so there must be a demand for trades men.This problem with being priced out of the housing market isn't just happening in Cornwall it's nation wide.I don't agree with greedy people with cash buying up small houses for more income, but this again is happening all over the place

This is a strange thread.

For my 2p worth, I've always thoroughly enjoyed all time spent in Cornwall. I know deprived, I live in the South Wales Valleys, as said above, many of the socio economic problems you describe are nationwide in GREAT Britain.

Well the traffics not as bad as it was from the late 60’s and onwards, for years I remember it taking ALL day to get from Bristol to Hayle. Usually left in the dark and often got there in the dark during early September time, not great and I keep away during summer time even now!

I lived near Porthleven about 20 yrs ago and even then you could see similar poverty and social problems as in many areas today. Again I saw similar problems when I lived in West Wales around early 2000’s

I’m not sure modernisation and the change in the majority of businesses away from manufacturing to the information tech and financial sector markets has helped at all!

There are good and bad places everywhere. I moved from the supposedly deprived Co. Durham to the supposedly rich East Sussex.
There are pockets of deprivation down here as bad as many other parts of the UK. And in the motoring sense the roads are crap, crowded and full of potholes. Give me the A66 anyday!!!!
Funny thing is - in the North East the perception is that the South gets all the handouts; in the South the perception is that all the money goes to the North.
Another example of us being a nation at war with each other ..........

Never been to Austria - but there is nowt wrong with Cromer.

Colorado in September for me. Wide open spaces and all those unbelievably courteous American drivers. I mean - can you imagine the 4-way stop system working over here??!! It would be a 4 way pile-up!

Guess where I am now

Attachments

• 15630313377685484763604518098001.jpg
    15630313377685484763604518098001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 230
Yes the UK has some beautiful scenery spread around the country, but all areas have poor roads when you consider how much WE pay . It is also a fact that a lot of nice touristy areas have worse roads due to the volume currently using them and they were never built for that volume. Add in extortionate parking charges and lack of spaces to safely park you can see why locals and visitors get frustrated. I suffer from the people who abandon their car outside my house to jump on the train for work not returning until after 6pm. We all can probably quote issues. Perhaps this thread would be better off dying out. Please no body take offence not intended that way.

There are good and bad places everywhere. I moved from the supposedly deprived Co. Durham to the supposedly rich East Sussex.
There are pockets of deprivation down here as bad as many other parts of the UK. And in the motoring sense the roads are crap, crowded and full of potholes. Give me the A66 anyday!!!!
Funny thing is - in the North East the perception is that the South gets all the handouts; in the South the perception is that all the money goes to the North.
Another example of us being a nation at war with each other ..........
Well, Hastings is a relatively poor area of East Sussex. We used to live near Lewes, quite a well off area but I'm glad we're up in NW England - the Eden Valley was voted one of the best areas of the country to live in, got to agree with that. And no we're not at war with each other, not on this forum.

Back