How can I tell if I have a 34 or 42l tank?

A22B

Hi guys,

just wondered if there was a code somewhere that would tell me the size of my wifes A2? It is a 52-plate tdi 75. As she drives it and fills it, it is not practical for me to check by filling!

Thanks

Paul

You'll have a code somewhere on the data sticker (either in the service booklet or by the battery) that says 0M1 or 0M2.

0M1 = 42 litres
0M2 = 34 litres

(0M3 = 20 litres, 1.2 TDi only)

Cheers,

Mike

Am I looking in the wrong place or going mad?? Can't see those codes anywhere...checked in the boot and sticker looks identical to this one in my service book:
a2sticker.jpg

:confused:

A quick way to check as the code doesn't seem to be on the sticker is , wait till the fuel light comes on and fill up, you should get over 37 L in with a 42L as you will have at least 5L left in the tank

Cheers Phil

I found that, does it have a 5l reserve then because when i ran the fuel gauge right down and filled up with fuel i could only get about 38 litres in

Chris

..then your meter isn't very accurate and you can adapt it using VAG-Com.

I can run mine so the pointer is to the left of 0 and there's still 1-2 litres in. Yes, I have done it a couple of times.

The 42l tank was brought in only for the FSI, production started May 2002. So if yours was built before that, there's no way it was 42l.

I know mine was built in Nov 2001 and registered Jan 2002. I have 34l. If your car was registered between March 2002 and Sept 2002, there is a chance it could have either and filling it is essentially the only way to check (or you go look under the car with some knowledge and pics in your head). Here's a comparison 21/42l: (you will need to be registered)http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showpost.php?p=866991&postcount=4201

The guy will be at Icetrack 2.0 and wants range of in excess of 1400km on a single tank and he should get it, too.

Bret

Last edited:
Filled up after the 'beep' today. It took 36.11 litres. So definitely a 42L tank. Will wait until the next fill up to calculate proper mpg. By Mrs A22B :eek:

Finally, I have done a proper fill-up to fill up mileage calculation! :)

(drum roll please)

My wife is achieving.....

49.4 MPG

And she really does drive it like she stole it :eek:

Overall I am really pleased as my wife is not economy sympathetic in the slightest. Also my dad was cynical about how much mpg our A2 could achieve.

PROVEN. :cool:

Back