How do.i Disable alarm ?

Zvszvs

After changing a flat battery, my alarm keeps on going.off, i am now.at.a.loss why this is occuring and hence thinking if i.could disarm the alarm.

Also i charged the battery and then reinstalled the bat, i noticed that the fuel cap kept on.opening and then after locking the car, the indicator and alarm just randomnly keeps going.off overnighr and thus draining the battery.

Are all doors, tailgate and service flap securely closed? Does the car arm correctly when you lock it? What sequence is shown by the led on the drivers door? Is the boot light on when the hatch is closed?
Is the fuel flap switch damaged, can you hear it click when pressed? Close the fuel flap and disconnect the switch, does it still open itself?
The alarm button on the B pillar deactivates the interior ultra sonic detection part of the alarm.
Was the car doing this before you changed the battery? Have you connected the battery up correctly?
What year and model is the car? Does the car still run?

Thanks for.your reply. Answers tells

Are all doors, tailgate and service flap securely closed?

I did double check the service flap and have recharged the battery hence will check.again tomorrow.

Does the car arm correctly when you lock it?

Yes

What sequence is shown by the led on the drivers door?

When i.arm the car the red led on.door flashes, if i.double.lock the car the red led remains on.

Is the boot light on when the hatch is closed?

I think this.is what originally caused the battery to.runnflat.

Is the fuel flap switch damaged, can you hear it click when pressed?

I replaced the switch.and the actuator for the fuel cap a month ago.

Close the fuel flap and disconnect the switch, does it still open itself?

Yep, you got it, it does exactly that.

The alarm button on the B pillar deactivates the interior ultra sonic detection part of the alarm.

Was the car doing this before you changed the battery?

Nope

Have you connected the battery up correctly?

I believe so, ie red wire in.positive, black in negative. As soon.as i connect the battery the fuel cap goes crazy and goes into an.infinite loop. Ie attempting to open the petrol cap, even though its open.

What year and model is the car? Does the car still run?

Its an.audi a2, 1.4 on a 51 plate.

Not sure if a brand new battery will resolve this issue.

After connecting the battery the car starts and runs fine. I suspect its a sensor but not too sure how i can confirm.

When you check the battery make sure the terminals on the battery are tight and also check all the connections in the black box to the left of the battery positive are tight and also the box itself is tight to the positive terminal clamp.

Morning Audi fan. So i set off with checking everything you stated, disconnected the alarm sensor and petrol cap switch and then connected the battery and ensured that everything was tightly screwed to the battery terminals sa well as the black box connected to, the battery. As soon as the battery had power the petrol cap actuator went into overdrive mode and kept on turning.

I then started the car, the petrol cap actuator continues and does not deactivate, let the car run idle for 20m to ensure everything is synched and that i get power in order to lock the car using the key fob.

I have gone back to the car which still has power and was alarmed and starts up fine thus far

Now the only issue i have is that actuator has given way and will need replacing for a second time and will have to figure out how to manually open it as well as trying to figure out the route cause and what the underlieing issue could be.

To manually open the fuel flap.. Open the hatch, then remove the plastic grille for the right rear lights access. look inside and towards the front of the opening you will see a vertical metal rod. Gently pull down on this rod to open the fuel flap. It sounds like you have a wiring issue to the fuel flap solenoid.

Just a thought, there is a chance the ultra sonic alarm button and fuel flap release buttons have been swapped over, so the fuel flap button is now on the alarm wiring and the alarm button on the fuel wiring.

Dont i just know it.

@ audi fan the buttons and connectors are colour coded, ie red connector for the petrol cap switch and black for the alarm sensor

The majority of electrical problems are down to 2 issues. Owners and mechanics. People buy them as cheap runabouts to replace things like Corsas and Fiestas, they ARE NOT replacements for those cars. The A2 was built at a financial loss to Audi and in general only quality parts were used - yes we know about the exceptions. A testament to this is the number still on the road today. These owners used the wrong fuel, use cheapest parts only when they absolutely had to and cut servicing. Then we come to the "mechanics" who bodge, use incorrect tools, cut up wiring to fit whatever or to stop an error or warning light. As the majority of cars now have had MANY owners the neglect and bodges get compounded by each subsequent owner.

There are 3 types of A2...
1 The ones on bungee cords to the Audi dealership, GOOD garages and experienced home mechanics / owners.
2 The ones that have now passed through the ownership of those people that appreciate really what the A2 is and have now restored the car back to how Audi intended, or even better.
3 All the other A2s out there, until either the first or second has occurred. In many cases it can take a couple of years to achieve 1 or 2 above.

Most issues can be fixed, but there are some that are just uneconomical to repair. Even in those cases many parts can be salvaged to help keep other cars in condition 1 or 2 above.

Research any potential purchase, have it PROPERLY scanned with VCDS, check its history, be prepared for expected and unexpected bills. The end of the day YOU make the choice to buy it or not.

Even if you disconnect the switch and the solenoid from the loom if there is a short in the wiring expect other issues including the battery still being discharged. Best to check the loom at the solenoid with a meter to see what is supplying the power when there should be none.

You wont believe it... but i went back to the car to check the switches / buttons. I removed both switches and then installed the petrol switch only, and hey presto the button.now works and opens the petrol flapcap. I can.only conclude that i have a faulty alarm sensor switch /button which is causing the issue.

I can.live with out the alarm sensor button being connected for now.

I hate A2 electrics - really, really terrible - despite everyone telling me that they're fine....
I work on A2 electrics almost every day of my life, and I don't hate them at all. Considering that the cars are, at the time of writing, between 15 and 20 years old, they have remarkably few issues. They are most definitely not "really, really terrible". Quite the opposite; they're elegantly designed, well installed and nice to work on. Yes, you'll see plenty of threads here regarding electrical issues, but they all boil down to a handful of known issues.

Cheers,

Tom

Back