How do you clean your window?

riverlad

A2OC Donor
I use auto glym fast glass on my windows and it works well.
But in sunlight I always end up having smears show up. I was wondering what people did to get around this.

Any tips gratefully received.

Cheers

David

I use something called Frosch. And I tend to do them with a non-fuzzy MF cloth, and not very often. Outside they have Rain-x and therefore don't need anything after a wash.

Bret

I used to use Meguiars glass cleaner with a MF cloth but having been using 3m glass cleaner recently and it is also good.

Never have any problem with streaks.

What's with these special 'car specific' windows cleaning product? Don't you ask mom how to clean your windows at home with no streak? ;-)

Normal cleaning procedure while washing the car, finish with cheap household non-smearing windows and glass cleaner (usually vinegar based) using the cheapest kitchen towel on sale or newspaper, the old fashion way. No fancy chemical or cloth required. I apply rain-x to the outside when I bother and usually don't need much special cleaning after that.

What's with these special 'car specific' windows cleaning product?

newspaper,

Any household window cleaner is fine but I got the 3M stuff free.

paper towels are fine but newspaper....seriously... does this work? Sorry mate, but I have enough trouble keeping my fingers clean when reading the paper so cant imagine it would work that well on the windows.

You can't go wrong with Autoglym's Glass Polish. For super-fine results lightly clay the glass first with a mild detergent. Apply glass polish with damp cloth and use clean and dry microfibre cloth to remove. Don't work in direct sunlight or if glass is hot. To finish, use a little Rain-X and then buff dry. Job done.

Do you want to know the VERY best way to clean windows? Well, this is it! ..... Get some sheets of newspaper ..... dampen a couple of crumpled sheets .... rub over the glass area ..... now, using dry sheets, rub down the damp areas ..... RESULT? ....... gleeming clean windows! Think that I'm taking the micky? JUST TRY IT!

Thanks for all your great advice. DJ 190 I like you method nice and easy and cheap so will try your your method first:)

Meguirs, Autoglym??? Guys save your money!!! I use fairy liquid in a bowl with very hot tap water (as hot as you can put your hands in). Rub the windows with this using a clean cloth (i use soft microfibre) then dry immediately with kitchen roll to a squeaky, smear free clean. Cleans your glasses and dishes well huh and i guarantee you won't find anything that cleans your windows better, car and home. Darn that's another of my trade secrets given away.

kitchen roll and newspaper, unfortunately, will scratch. Check it over time, I did this on the wife's old A3.. and now the A2 only gets MFs.

Bret

I once used Rain X on my windscreen then spent the next 3 months trying to get rid of it as everytime the wiper went across it, it momentarily left a complete smear. Also as Bret says, beware the screen scratches very easily as I have discovered. Kitchen roll is prob better than newspaper if you can find one that dosn't leave bits of fluff behind. Cheers Colin

Are you serious? ...... newspaper will scratch glass? Do flies hitting the windscreen cause small crates ( well, microscopic, I suppose? ) too? Well, from my Scientific background, I suppose I was wrong to assume that paper is softer than glass? Back to the drawing-board, then...... Ha Ha, LOL!

If anything, it would be any coating on the glass that is scratched, glass is way tougher than, well, paper. If the glass can be scratched by paper, then it is a little hopeless against air bourne dust and dirt blasting or brushing at it at 70mph. Also, you don't have to rub the newspaper on the glass like it is a polish. The idea is vinegar based windows and glass cleaner is non smearing to start with, the newspaper is the most handy and cheap material that doesn't leave fluff behind yet can absorb excess cleaning fluid. For practicality, I use kitchen roll more often as i use the cheapest stuff to buff baby lotion on the leather seats too.

I find organic homeopathic snake oil works very well, buffed clean with a pair of schoolgirl's knickers.

I find organic homeopathic snake oil works very well, buffed clean with a pair of schoolgirl's knickers.

I am getting funny looks in the staff canteen when I just laughed out loud. I think they think I am a bit crazy.

Back