How to Fit Komfortbklinker comfort indicator

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
So, finally got round to taking on fitting the magic 3 flash indicators! Heres a brief guide to how i did it:

I decided to remove the whole lot as I have a hard touch climate to fit, but this would still be better if you have large hands I think.

Remove the stereo using Audi equivalent radio keys, unplug harnesses and push back and up out way.

Open the ashtray fully next.

Remove climate panel, I gently pushed from behind by putting hand in where stereo was onto the rear corners and sort of diagonally pushed/wiggled it out and it popped out. Wasn't as bad as I expected but I could see someone has had it out before and one lower clip was missing! (for once thanks that guy)
Lots of harnesses to remove from right to left but easy enough.

Climate harness in order.jpg

Stereo and climate out.jpg

Tuck all the wires up on top shelf. (already started to get one side of cubby out, I also removed the fascia of the cubby)

Now you have good access and some confidence, I removed the dreaded cubby. As you look at the sides from above you can see the metal clips (brass coloured). These need to be pressed inward using small flat screwdriver, I did this by slotting it straight in the front and pressing in while again diagonally pushing from the back.
One side at a time it pops out.
20220214_173220.jpg

Cubby clips.jpg

Now you can see the indicator relay sat there looking like a kid whos lost at hide and seek after hiding for 20 years, BINGO I exclaimed with great relish.

Found the blinking thing!.jpg

Relay tabs.jpg

To remove the wiring I used a long thing screwdriver to press up the lower spring plastic tab and my hand for the top one then gently wiggled it out.

You can now easily fit the adaptor and find suitable places to shove the gizmo!

New harness.jpg

New harness in place.jpg

Refitting it all takes costs about 30 seconds but the feeling of a 3 blink modern indicator, well it is priceless. I love it! Time for a smug brew.

Last edited:
Well done, but there's something strange at the bottom of the stack there. The cubby is normally the first thing to come out - with its front still on. Stick your hand in it and make the tightest fitting fist you can, then simply pull it out sharply. Oh, open the ashtray first otherwise it'll break as the lug under the cubby forces it open.

Well done, but there's something strange at the bottom of the stack there. The cubby is normally the first thing to come out - with its front still on. Stick your hand in it and make the tightest fitting fist you can, then simply pull it out sharply. Oh, open the ashtray first otherwise it'll break as the lug under the cubby forces it open.
Ahh good spot, yes I removed the fascia of the cubby to try and investigate.

I tried the hands in and pulled hard technique, no chance, absolutely no chance of coming out, I used both hands and ended up sweating, and swearing hence this approach :cool:. I think I would have ripped the entire dash apart, I personally dont like this approach to interior removal! So went this route, and to be honest the screwdriver in the slot seemed like the right way to do it, it came out so easily. Also I could not have done this with out removing the climate panel.

Nice to get the job done, finally!

Ahh good spot, yes I removed the fascia of the cubby to try and investigate.

I tried the hands in and pulled hard technique, no chance, absolutely no chance of coming out, I used both hands and ended up sweating, and swearing hence this approach :cool:. I think I would have ripped the entire dash apart, I personally dont like this approach to interior removal! So went this route, and to be honest the screwdriver in the slot seemed like the right way to do it, it came out so easily. Also I could not have done this with out removing the climate panel.

Nice to get the job done, finally!

Sounds like the cubby's possibly been out before, and someone has bent the brass clips outwards a bit to give them extra 'spring'. Normally they're only just extended out far enough to hold the cubby in, hence why the fist technique works.

Sounds like the cubby's possibly been out before, and someone has bent the brass clips outwards a bit to give them extra 'spring'. Normally they're only just extended out far enough to hold the cubby in, hence why the fist technique works.
Now that makes sense, the climates been out for sure. Probably to fit a new relay! Thanks

Morning Ed,

Great write up and attached pictures. This will help many a member over time to fit the Komfortblinker with a simple easy to follow guide. Spot on Sir.

I too had to take the lower cubby fascia off to release the clips with a screwdriver in Project RN53 a few days ago. I know exactly how easy it should be to remove this item but I also broke into a sweat and just couldn’t remove it.

Why is it the simple things turn out to be a right pain and the tasks you’re dreading turn out to in fact be easier than first thought.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Ed,

Great write up and attached pictures. This will help many a member over time to fit the Komfortblinker with a simple easy to follow guide. Spot on Sir.

I too had to take the lower cubby fascia off to release the clips with a screwdriver in Project RN53 a few days ago. I know exactly how easy it should be to remove this item but I also broke into a sweat and just couldn’t remove it.

Why is it the simple things turn out to be a right pain and the tasks you’re dreading turn out to in fact be easier than first thought.

Kind regards,

Tom
I recently did mine, removing the wiring clip only not the relay itself.
I was able to do this the same way as Ed with a long screwdriver and a finger. This only required removing the cubby and the ash tray (not the Climate or radio). To help stow the extra wiring I found it useful to remove the centre console trim in front of the gear-lever (simply lifts out when the gear gaiter is unclipped) which gives access to the area below and behind the ash tray.
This allowed the unclipped cable to be fed down to the Komfort Blinker assembly and the new connection back up, with plenty of space to stow the actual electronics in a foam block safely away from all other wiring.

All good advice guys but I don't believe anyone has mentioned disconnecting the battery first which I would have thought is a good idea? ?

I recently did mine, removing the wiring clip only not the relay itself.
I was able to do this the same way as Ed with a long screwdriver and a finger. This only required removing the cubby and the ash tray (not the Climate or radio). To help stow the extra wiring I found it useful to remove the centre console trim in front of the gear-lever (simply lifts out when the gear gaiter is unclipped) which gives access to the area below and behind the ash tray.
This allowed the unclipped cable to be fed down to the Komfort Blinker assembly and the new connection back up, with plenty of space to stow the actual electronics in a foam block safely away from all other wiring.
That sounds even better, shame you didnt grab a photo of that position. Nice one.

All good advice guys but I don't believe anyone has mentioned disconnecting the battery first which I would have thought is a good idea? ?
Ah yes I guess the hazards are permanent live? Although I never do this for stereo stuff. I guess its good practice doing any electrical work! I can edit my original post if you like to add the step in for safety?

That sounds even better, shame you didnt grab a photo of that position. Nice one.
Just removed the centre cover to show the space below and behind the ash tray. Not particularly clear but the additional electronics box is between the white and black foam. Disconnecting the battery is always advisable but as I only removed one connector and did not disturb any electrics above the cubby I felt safe enough (famous last words!)

Attachments

• 567FA91F-D30E-4E10-BBC8-66F5297259DB.jpeg
    567FA91F-D30E-4E10-BBC8-66F5297259DB.jpeg
    934.4 KB · Views: 143
@CrispyEdd can you provide the replacement part?
A link or something? I've been looking for this mod for some time but could not fine the replacement relay.

@CrispyEdd can you provide the replacement part?

Morning,

The 3 flash comfort indicator (Komfortblinker) is supplied by Cum-CarTec in Germany. They also have eBay offerings here.

BD74503B-C989-4383-AA92-6F8F31E9055A.jpeg

I've been looking for this mod for some time but could not fine the replacement relay.

There was a thread about investigating a group order of the Komfortblinker late last year. The discount code ceased to work early December but nothing is stopping you to get in touch with Marion to see if you can have a belated discount code.

Got to be worth a try.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks,
Morning,

The 3 flash comfort indicator (Komfortblinker) is supplied by Cum-CarTec in Germany. They also have eBay offerings here.

There was a thread about investigating a group order of the Komfortblinker late last year. The discount code ceased to work early December but nothing is stopping you to get in touch with Marion to see if you can have a belated discount code.

Thanks Tom,

Postage to my country is a bit higher so it rounds up. Hopefully the company that makes those retrofits will not close:).
My little buggy eats up money:))...I'm up 2000 euros last year...so 5 extra can squeeze in:))

Mine arrived today from Germany. Took ashtray out but no leverage on pulling connector out of indicator relay as opposite way round to CrispyEdd's (double din stereo and no cubby) and no space. However - if you release the stereo and pop the climate panel out you’ll find two clips at the back of the climate frame. Unclip them and undo the two Philips head screws visible in the space behind the ashtray. The whole indicator relay is then free to move to a position with enough leverage to unclip the connection.

10 minute job once I’d worked that out. Shame it took me an hour to work it out...

Am I the only one who hasn't a clue what a KomfortBlinker is, and is none the wiser from all of the above ? :oops:
:rolleyes:

Does this help at all?

“So, finally got round to taking on fitting the magic 3 flash indicators! Heres a brief guide to how i did it”

Sent from the future

Back