How to fix ash tray spring?

alanm

A2OC Donor
Collected my 2003 tdi from the Audi VW Centre at Devizes Road, Bromham, Chippenham last Saturday and am very impressed with the car so far. Also highly recommend this Audi VW independent - excellent service all round.

Went for a drive up to the North Yorkshire Moors today and averaged 63+ mpg - way better than ever I got from my 2 Smarts over the past 7 years.

Now for the plea for advice. An annoying intermittent rattle from the dash ashtray area prompted me to take the ashtray out but no effect. Now for the stupid bit - I put my hand in the ash tray aperture and managed to dislodge the sprung metal strip that enables the ashtray to slide out of the dash when you press its outside face. Result now is that the mechanism no longer operates and you have to pull the ashtray to get it to come out of the dash.

My fear is fixing my c**k up will require a major dashboard disassembly.

Is this the case? Any advice/guidance much appreciated.

Last edited:
To fix the ashtray doesn't require a big dash dis-assembly, but it's a tricky job none the less.

Once you#ve released the ashtray, there are 2 retaining screws at the top. Take them out and then the ashtray comes out and you then have to unclip the light at the back.

From there, you need to dis-assemble the ashtray itself to fix the mechanism.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike - I'll give it a go tomorrow. From now on I think I'll just have to grow to love any annoying non critical rattles - way safer than trying to fix them (for me, that is!).

Alan

Last edited:
Sorted!

Big thanks to Aikon & Mike. The instructions were spot on.
A simple but well fiddly job.

I've also sorted the annoying rattle (more of a creak). It was the dash panel rubbing against the bottom right hand corner of the climate control panel. Fixed by sliding a sliver of flexible plastic cut from a body filler spatula between the two contacting parts. A bodge, I know, but effective (so far).

Last edited:
Hello, i see it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread.. 11 years.. but i'm hoping that somebody might return with an answer.

I've recently got an Audi A2 1.4 petrol and i'm slowly starting to fix what has to be fixed on it. I've noticed that my ash tray is stuck and i have to pull it out with my hands, also there is no light inside it .. should it have one ? I won't really use it but i like fixing broken things so everything is perfect.

Do you still have the fix or tutorial? I've noticed the link is out of use . Thanks in advance!

I pulled this one off a few weeks ago, found a dangling LED and decided to investigate. Didn't bother with the manual and unclipped a spring. Bad move, had to remove the ash tray assembly and work out how to reassemble the retracting spring. Cant remember how but I think I had to load the spring and assemble it on the tray.

IMG_20180406_124411.jpg

I also noticed 2 weird wires dangling under the ash tray.. one has a resistor on it.. any idea ?

They are for you he ashtray light there will likely be an led in the light at the back of the ashtray wanting wires resoldering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are for you he ashtray light there will likely be an led in the light at the back of the ashtray wanting wires resoldering

Thank you for your answer.. I will get back with a result later .. once I figure out on how to take out the whole ashtray. It will probably be next week or so.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your answer.. I will get back with a result later .. once I figure out on how to take out the whole ashtray. It will probably be next week or so.

Two screws at the top of the ash tray there may be a plastic cover that pops off to reveal the screws

Thank you, will get to it next time when I have time. I will come back with an update

Two screws at the top of the ash tray there may be a plastic cover that pops off to reveal the screws

I cant really take it off.. everything I try to pull out just feels like it is going to break

I cant really take it off.. everything I try to pull out just feels like it is going to break

Have you taken out the storage compartment above the ashtray (assuming you have it and not the climate control panel)?

Yes the cover that I referred too is indeed part of the cubby hole or climate control panel
once removed there are two pozi screws that hold the ash tray in place

If you have the cubby hole it has a plastic lip that covers the screws. You ram your hand into it, make a fist and pull like you are trying to break it and ‘pop’.

I took the side clips off of my cubby because I figured I could apply that much pressure with my seat heater controls in the cubby. It takes quite a tug! Incidentally I put a screw through the cover lip we are talking about to hold it in place.

Thank you all very much for the patience. I will try do it

If you have the cubby hole it has a plastic lip that covers the screws. You ram your hand into it, make a fist and pull like you are trying to break it and ‘pop’.

I took the side clips off of my cubby because I figured I could apply that much pressure with my seat heater controls in the cubby. It takes quite a tug! Incidentally I put a screw through the cover lip we are talking about to hold it in place.

I managed to get it out and looks like this.
However I cant seem to find where the connector for the bulb is or I have no ideea how to fix the spring if it even has one
dd07516fad94f18d7fdfe09c79fb524b.jpg
ebff2e6de7bd9956c1e3d8d3bcdc089e.jpg
7f39c648af3bc52e235386dca2fceb3c.jpg

Insulate those wires, shrink tube or something. I know it has been mentioned, you have a LED missing.

Edit: it bridges the two wires via the crimps.

Last edited:
Insulate those wires, shrink tube or something. I know it has been mentioned, you a LED missing.

Edit: it bridges the two wires via the crimps.
The wires are not connected to anything at all, I can't see any connector into the dash also..

Back