How to get the headlamp wiring connector off (without pulling your hair out trying)

Hi,

There may well be a guide for this elsewhere but just in case !!

I have removed the headlamps MANY times on various A2s and every time I have done it I have prodded, pulled, levered, cursed, forced (often pulling the whole connector out of the headlamp with the plug still attached to the socket). With the plug ending up damaged.

With something as simple as removing an electrical plug I tend not to think that I have to find a guide on how do that.

As I have done each one I seem to have MORE trouble rather than less and the plugs are getting more and more chewed up !!!

Being a typical bloke, I don't ask for directions when I am lost and similarly I don't go looking for guides for "simple" stuff!!! (i.pretty stupid!).

I recently bought a couple of headlamps to experiment with the DRL tubes etc. BOTH had the plug still in and the wiring cut instead. Both were from a different seller and so they obviously both couldn't get the plug off. So I am definitely not alone.

But having the two headlamps to experiment on I thought "why not see how this silly plug actually works".

It is pretty simple, as most things are when you KNOW how it works.

This picture shows the little flap that is the cause of all the frustrated attempts at removal. It prevents the plug from coming off,
headlamp1.jpg

This picture shows where you need to insert a flat bladed screwdriver.
headlamp2.jpg

This picture shows the flap moving slightly as you press the screwdriver towards the wire
Headlamp 3.jpg

This picture shows that when you have pressed the screwdriver fully, the flap is now completely out of the way
HEadlamp 4.jpg

The biggest problem of all is that if you now think that the plug just slides off then think again!, it takes quite a lot to pull it off.
That is one of the reasons why the "blokeish" trial and error never works, even if you have managed to get it right by accident, the plug just doesn't want to come off.

If you have damaged your plug trying to get it off and you no longer have the little tab at the top to press against, at least you can now see why just pushing the screwdriver down the slot does not help. In fact that just presses the release tab the opposite way and makes the plug even less likely to come off.
You have to somehow get that tab moved away from the body of the socket. If it really won't budge you have few options, one is to just use brute force and use the screwdriver between where the plug meets the face of the headlamp. This is risky, but it will force the socket and plug out together (still connected) and that will give you chance to force a very slim screwdriver UP in between the flap and the socket and so lever it away that way.
Having pulled the socket and plug out on many occasions in the past, I have always found that no damage was caused and it clips back in securely anyway. But this whole approach is only for when everything else has failed!!!!

Hopefully this might help other "blokes" who struggle in the cold and dark in silence (apart from several swear words).

Steve B

Last edited:
This applies to a lot, probably all, of the connectors, including the fan controller (damhik) and the plug you have already has a tab broken.

This applies to a lot, probably all, of the connectors, including the fan controller (damhik) and the plug you have already has a tab broken.

Yes, there are several other plugs like that on the car, but fortunately enough in my many years of ownership I have never had to remove any of those.

Steve B

Thanks for that, but to be honest I can't see how that would work though?

Edit, the tool on that link is not for removing the plug, it is the correct tool for removing the pins in the plug should you want to do that, but it does not help with the removal of the plug at all.

In effect, to move the flap away from the socket pressure has to be applied in an inwards and upwards direction where the screwdriver is inserted in the picture above.

I am also aware of some people who can remove the plug without any tool at all, just by applying pressure in the right place and pulling in the right direction, it was quite impressive when I saw that done without any tools.

Steve B

Last edited:
That tool is for removing the terminals within the connector.

A little to add to your guide steve if I may?

Before you carefully use a screwdriver to disengage the locking tab I actually push the connector in first. This seems a little strange pushing a connector to remove but there is give due to the rubber sealing ring and by doing this limits the stress on the tab.

That tool is for removing the terminals within the connector.

A little to add to your guide steve if I may?

Before you carefully use a screwdriver to disengage the locking tab I actually push the connector in first. This seems a little strange pushing a connector to remove but there is give due to the rubber sealing ring and by doing this limits the stress on the tab.

Of course, all input is welcome and thank you for clarifying the use of that tool.

As for pushing the connector IN before removing it, you are spot on with that. The tab is often held in contact with the "nib" and when you push the plug it in it makes a gap between them and it is then easier to get the tab to move out of the way,

That is a nice bit of extra helpful info.

Thank you

Steve B

Excellent!
Some connectors have this locking thing difficult to reach, like the one on the fuel pump. I had to brake mine to disconnect it, there was no chance to get the any screw driver in position to move the locking.

Cheers,
D

Back