How to get your existing key to work again

If your key has suddenly stopped operating the central locking, try the following

Put the key in the ignition and turn it on.
Press the lock button (or the unlock button)
Turn off the ignition and try the key.

This fix ONLY works on keys that have already worked in your A2, it does not work for new or secondhand keys you have bought that have never been paired to your car.

Steve B

I know this is a bit off topic but if I was to buy a key from Europe would I still be able to Pair it to the cccu? For the buttons to function?

I know this is a bit off topic but if I was to buy a key from Europe would I still be able to Pair it to the cccu? For the buttons to function?

As long as the part numbers match then it will be fine.

When you say "Europe" what exactly do you mean? Have you found a cheap source of new keys? Or is this just a secondhand one.

Even if the keys look the same you need to make sure that you have the right type, they have different MHz on the transmitters on different part numbers.

Steve B

Last edited:
Ok thanks the part numbers match as well as mh its a second hand set in Europe I came across today they are the 220k 433mh hopefully I will get them

Last edited:
Also if your key fob stops working, Undo the battery for an hour and reconnect, this worked for me on my A2 and A3 lately. Why it did it in the first place is a mystery??/

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have a head scratching problem with the key sync:

Firstly, the method at the top of this thread seems to work, but I have also found a different method on Youtube which definitely works for reprogramming the key and learnt that I could close the front window too....Bonus!!

Original Key re-sync

maybe by someone on this forum?

My problem is that the sync gets lost if I ever open the boot of the car after opening the car... and i have to reset the key again. Can anyone shed any light on how I might be able to fix this weirdness?

Try a new battery in the key. When the battery gets low, that will happen.

the other tip is that if you have the OSS sunroof, putting the key in the door and holding it in the lock position will close the roof. (If your roof still works that is) as well as the windows. Using the buttons on the key fob will only do the windows, not the roof.

Steve B

And assuming the door lock still works!! I replace my battery every year as part of routing maintenance and check the door lock works.

This is a good chance for all to now check that the key override in the drivers door will indeed unlock and lock the car. This is essential if the remotes go out of sync due to battery issues or being dropped. Better to know now that the key will not open the car or even if the key will turn than find out stuck in the middle of nowhere.Once the car is unlocked you will need to turn on the ignition to cancel the alarm. As said I also replace the batteries in the remotes every year. Just pick a date you will easily remember e.g. the cars birthday or even your own birthday.

ok changed the battery....seems to have fixed this!! let's see how it goes over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mtl
You would be surprised just how many new batteries are nearly flat. I always check their voltage before fitting them.

You would be surprised just how many new batteries are nearly flat. I always check their voltage before fitting them.

yes, did just that. As an aside AA are notorious for being nearly flat on purchase in my experience...especially if bought either online or from a store that doesn't have high stock turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your key has suddenly stopped operating the central locking, try the following

Put the key in the ignition and turn it on.
Press the lock button (or the unlock button)
Turn off the ignition and try the key.

This fix ONLY works on keys that have already worked in your A2, it does not work for new or secondhand keys you have bought that have never been paired to your car.

Steve B
Hello. I’ve just Ed tried that and nothing. Sorry to say.

Are the key batteries good? Did you try a second key also?
Did you remove the key immediately after pressing the lock/unlock buttons?

I assume that they have previously worked? If so, it looks like you need someone with VCDS to recode the keys properly.

User @Kleynie has VCDS in the Staines area. He may be able to help. He is great (he is not like a Pelican, so there won’t be a “big bill”) 😁

Back