Hunting for A2 ebay bargains

Sootywg

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Most members seem to search ebay for A2 bits and pieces. I have sourced several items successfuly.

We all hope to get the real bargain but usually find that the good items attract a lot of bids.

This week I purchased an unused VW Space Saver wheel and tyre 125/70 R16 so within 1.72% speedo error compared to standard 185/50 R16 tyres. (the official A2 Vredestein tyre is I believe 1.1% different).

For 99p!

I have been searching for a while and as we all know the A2 ones are few and far between and command a high price. Most others are not the 5x100 stud or are the wrong rolling radius. If you search a VW space saver you still won't find one particularly cheap.

So how come I was so lucky?

Most seasoned ebayers know the tricks that can root out a better chance of making a winning bid. The best strategy is to find items that have been badly listed.

The first advice I was given was to search using common spelling errors to unearth items that may result in few watchers. An example was looking for batteries for a Ryobi drill. I searched on 'Riobi' and found a listing that attracted no competing bids.

When looking for the space saver I got exhausted trawling through all the options thrown up even searching on 125/70 r16 didn't find any VAG ones at less than £80 so I simply seached on 5x100 stud wheels and found one poorly described but with pictures good enough to identify the tyre size.

I placed a proxy bid and waited. Nobody bid against me so 99p won the auction. On collection the guy was very mellow about it saying that it was only taking up room and pointed to four Porsche alloys that he said sold for £1.50!

Maybe I am reducing my chances of future bargains on ebay by raising this post but the A2OC has been valuable to me and if I can help others keep the cost down of maintaining oure little gems I am happy to do so.

Some old hands on the forum may be saying there is nothing new in what I have said but being reminded of how the correct search can unearth items on ebay must be worth being reminded of.

Geoff

I think people waste time and money bidding early on something, I watch them and the put my maximum bid in in the last 11 seconds in that time if nobody has bid higher you can't really be beaten quick enough!

Last edited:
For every "old hand" that may or may not already know this, there wil be 20 people who didn't.

So posting this here is VERY helpful indeed.

The members who perhaps didn't know this will be very grateful.

Thank you

Count me in I'm grateful, you think your wise to all the tricks but it's always nice to get another persons positive angle on things:)

I have another money saving tip but it's not A2 related. Maybe we should start a money saving tips thread in relaxation room?
That way we could all save some money and spend what we saved on our A2s :)

Start away. As long as it's legal :p

Back