I don’t know much about cars…

BrownbearA2

Hi, I’ve had my A2 for several years. He generally runs well but in the last year I feel his oil and petrol consumption has been very high. The gear box was broken though and just got replaced so could it have just. been caused by that? This one’s an SE 1.4. Not really what oil to put in the car either!

Hi there gearbox oil is separate unit to the engine oil. So the engine oil won't be going downloads because of the gearbox.
Regarding the oil, it would be best to send more.info like if it smokes? Do you have time to look under bonnet and send photos. How much oil do you have to put in, and how often?
What is the mpg of the petrol engine, hiw many miles per tank and what sort of driving etc, then we could help.

Although it sounds weird, post up a photo of the oil on the engine dipstick. The plastic ends on them commonly break off and remain in the sump, and people fill to what they think is a mark, but actually it's way over-filled at that point. If it's not so over-filled as to damage the engine, it will get burned off much faster than normal , you may also notice it being smoky from the exhaust and under the bonnet. If the end is broken, we'll be able to spot it in a photo.

Thanks- I’ll post a photo. The garage did say that the exhaust had too much black residue when he touched the inside. MPG is about 25-30 I think - and I replace the oil every 6 weeks currently as the light just comes back on. The car was an engine rebuild when I got it. It’s never been as good on fuel as the other A2 we had.

MPG is about 25-30 I think - and I replace the oil every 6 weeks currently as the light just comes back on. The car was an engine rebuild when I got it. It’s never been as good on fuel as the other A2 we had.
That MPG figure is about half what I get in mixed local driving so there's a problem straight away.
That oil consumption is another indication that all is not well. My AUA has negligible oil consumption and it hasn't had a charmed previous life.
In isolation either problem could signal a variety of possible causes and fixes but together, and with the knowledge that the engine was a rebuilt one, I'm afraid you probably have a badly rebuilt engine on your hands. Using that much fuel and oil, I'm surprised the engine temp isn't off the scale.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-(

I’ve just been out in traffic and he did manage 60mpg tops which is better than normal. Definitely running better since clutch repaired. I don’t actually know where the dipstick is I’m afraid not am I sure how to pop the bonnet. My ex was very into cars and did everything mechanical for me with this car and now we aren’t together I’m left with a car I find hard to manage haha. The engine wasn’t rebuilt by Audi which I think has affected it. I’m interested in the VAS place at Locksbrook though- I might take him there but can’t face any more car bills after the clutch one this week.

I should also mention that we had another A2 before which never had any oil issues and had consistently high mpg so I know how these cars are ‘meant’ to run and there does seem to be something different with how this one runs. The garage were for a while putting oil in for me and they measured it with the stick - then I stopped doing this and just poured oil in until the light went off (usually a whole large can). This became something I did every 6 weeks-2 months and as you can imagine got quite expensive. Currently the light is still off.

I don’t actually know where the dipstick is I’m afraid not am I sure how to pop the bonnet.
Do you have the Owner's Manual with this car? Page 242 tells you how to open the service flap (there's no need to pop the bonnet) and Page 248 covers using the dipstick.

How exactly do you top up the oil, if it's not through the service flap?

Seriously, give VASS a ring. They really are extremely good and not stupid when it comes to bills. They would be happy to show you how to remove the bonnet and run a thumb over the car.

At least that way you will know what's what.

Last edited:
I can use the service flap for oil but I’m not sure how to open the bonnet up. It goes up in a different way to other cars and also I’d worry I’d struggle to fit it back. I’ve never dared to touch it as I just never needed to! I think getting VASS to assess it is probably a v good idea.

I’ve just been out in traffic and he did manage 60mpg tops which is better than normal.
Phew! Well that's a bit of a relief! Which leaves us with the oil situation. If the engine itself isn't making some sort of catastrophic noise then it's possible that things are not so bad after all.
For your piece of mind, just because the oil light comes on it does not necessarily follow that the engine is using oil. Sensors fail on older cars so it is always worth doing a physical check via dipstick, to verify any dash lights. Over filling the oil can do almost as much harm as not having enough, believe it or not. Book it in with VAS and drive it carefully in the mean time. Fingers crossed that the problem is simply a dodgy sensor.

Thanks! That’s interesting because I *think* there’s an oil gauge on the dashboard (?) and if I’m right it says the oil is okay. I hadn’t thought about a sensor. I also didn’t know That you could put too much oil in- I assumed it just used what you put in. I have a few things to think about…. Looks like I’ll be going to VAS soon :)

Sure- I’d be happy to do that!

More than happy to show/assist with taking the bonnet off. Can also check the dipstick to see if you need a replacement end from @depronman. I work in Saltford so just down the road from Bath.

We could even meet at the Jolly Sailor pub if you’d rather?

Send me a pm and we can sort something

Steve

Sent from the future

Last edited:
Back