I might have bought another A2

mrbroons

The new car, another project as it has an unresolved over temp issue so I saved it. It is a 1.4 Sport with Bose, Leather with Lumbar, Open-Sky (working) and Symphony 2 headunit.

Does anyone live nr Epsom Downes - KT18 6AP - and able to view an A2 before I pick it up?

1525ba58b51d31470b773ffeb4edde56.jpg

Last edited:
When are you picking it up? I'm about 25 miles from there but I'm in Vegas till next weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks!! and kudos for logging in from Vegas! Think I will have it by then but I'll let you know. Hope you are having an ace time, always wanted to go.

The car is here and it needs a little work but is a nice base spec to work from. 1.4 Sport with beige leather sports seats with electric lumbar, Symphony 2, Bose and Pan roof. More pics and project updates to follow.

The car came with a disclosed temp/cut out issue. Well it turns out that was not quite right. Took it out today for a spin (drives beautifully!!!) to get some fuel and set the tyre pressures and boom, red oil warning light and instant zero revs. Restarted and all was well, limped home and checked the oil which looked OK. Now has anyone else seen issues with oil pressure sensors. Will put up more info when I get it. Really pleased with the car otherwise. Spent a good hour cleaning and treating the sunroof and it now works beautifully too.

If anyone has any info on this cars previous history please PM me. RD03 FYB. Has it been in the club? :)

Here is a video of the problem happening

[video=youtube_share;KsDqBTNKi7Q]https://youtu.be/KsDqBTNKi7Q[/video]

That looks like a bad connection, or the oil pressure sender is faulty.
It is not acting like it would if the oil pressure was genuinely the cause. The oil pressure does not vary that quickly, even though it is under pressure it is still quite thick and would not change presure so quickly.

The oil pressure senders do have a history of going occasionally, so if the wiring to the sender is OK then you should replace the sender.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Changed the oil pressure sensor on the front of the head and same issue. Believe there is another sensor in the sump but this is oil level? Isnt it?

Thanks Steve. Changed the oil pressure sensor on the front of the head and same issue. Believe there is another sensor in the sump but this is oil level? Isnt it?
Yes, I couldn't see the symbol you were getting.

When the oil level sensor becomes faulty you normally get the oil can with the word "Sensor"on it.

Steve B

Had the exclamation mark for the first 2 fails and then the last one was the red oil can but didn't say sensor. So I've got them all.

Had the exclamation mark for the first 2 fails and then the last one was the red oil can but didn't say sensor. So I've got them all.

If it is the oil level sender the petrol one is not a bad price, the TDI one is around £80

But we would need to see the symbol to tell whether it is level or pressure.

Steve B

Hi,

In your video, two symbols show. The first is the 'fault in the braking system' light, followed quickly by the oil pressure warning light. As such, I'd suggest that the sensor is not the problem here, and that a wiring fault is a more likely cause. :p

Regards,

Matt.

Thanks Matt. Would that infer braking or oil wiring, both or common wiring such as ECU or dash pod?

Hi,

I'm not too sure. I'll have a look at the diagrams tomorrow if I get chance. In the meantime, I'd recommend checking the wiring and earths on the right hand side of the engine, around the ABS pump and oil pressure sensor. Look for any obvious damage to the cables and check the earth points are tight. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Quick update, had a look with my shiny new (cheap) oil pressure gauge and as expected no problems there whatsoever. So took a look at the headlight earth strap (fine), drivers pillar earth strap (fine), passenger pillar earth strap (fine). Then took a look under the floor at the CCCU and associated gubbins and nothing to report. So I took out the CCCU and jiggled everything around checking that there was nothing amiss and again nothing obvious. So took the car back out on a test drive and hey presto no cut outs, tried my best doing everything that I would normally do to trigger a fail and nothing. Got back home and sat for a while trying to get the ventilation system to work on anything but re-circ and quite calmly and without fuss the engine just switched off (at idle), no bongs, no warning, no splutter just off, restarted fine. Took it back out for a spin and no faults again, all well. So I will run the car over the next few days in anger and see what happens but I'm guessing this is electrical somewhere as Sarge and others have pointed out (thank you!), just need to track where. Horace has an old Nokia phone kit installed that I will strip out so that I can see exactly what should be there and see how I get on from there, but definite progress.

Thanks all for your help! Horace runs very well and is as tight as a drum ride wise, aside the few cosmetic issues and now the fan not coming through on anything but re-circ I think it is lovely thing and stunning colour :)

Last edited:
Back