I think I’ve reached the end

The Colonel

I’ve had this starting issue for the last four months. I work funny hours so I need a reliable car. Sometimes it starts after a couple of turns. Sometimes after a few more. Occasionally as now, it’s just turning but not firing. Here’s a list of what I’ve done to it up to now.

New fuel pump.
New fuel relay switch.
New fuel filter.
New spark plugs x 4
New coil packs x 4
New coolant temperature sensor.
Engine flush.
Replaced oil with Castrol Edge 5w 30
New oil filter.
Sprayed 3 cans worth of Wynn’s EGR cleaning spray.
Used Wynn’s gold fuel treatment.
Running it on super unleaded.

There’s not a lot more I can do. It’s been to a garage for a full diagnostics check and it came back as no faults found.

The only thing left is the flaps. The plastic rod from the flap actuator is snapped so not open and closing the air intake flaps. Been told this shouldn’t have an effect on the non starting of the car. But it’s too big a job for me. I don’t want to take it to an Audi dealer as I don’t have that kind of cash. And a few garages I’ve been to say they wouldn’t touch an fsi engine with it being too complicated.

So, any suggestions on things I may not have checked or done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t suppose you could tell me where they are and how easy to access and I’ll give it a go.

Thank you

Earth point nsf chassis leg below and behind ns headlight unit which needs to be removed for ease of access 8mm bolt
Does it crank at usual speed
cam / crank sensors ok?
Pop a lead off and check for spark with a spare plug

Had petrol mercs fail to start due to a dud MAF before usually runs rough for a period before complete failure
and doesnt throw up a code on them

Earth point nsf chassis leg below and behind ns headlight unit which needs to be removed for ease of access 8mm bolt
Does it crank at usual speed
cam / crank sensors ok?
Pop a lead off and check for spark with a spare plug

Had petrol mercs fail to start due to a dud MAF before usually runs rough for a period before complete failure
and doesnt throw up a code on them

Thanks. Once started it runs perfectly. It’s just the non start. All sensors seem ok and a diagnostics check pulled up no faults.

I don’t suppose you could tell me where they are and how easy to access and I’ll give it a go.

Thank you

The main engine earth is the vital earth. As stated above remove N/S headlight and these pictures courtesy of Birdfish will help locate. Clean up connection and read this post by Sarge which is particularly pertinent to the FSI.

Chin up, I have had my FSI for ten years and it it has always started first time, every time, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Andy

The main engine earth is the vital earth. As stated above remove N/S headlight and these pictures courtesy of Birdfish will help locate. Clean up connection and read this post by Sarge which is particularly pertinent to the FSI.

Chin up, I have had my FSI for ten years and it it has always started first time, every time, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Andy

I’ve looked at the pictures and it seems easy enough to locate and undo. Is it just this end that I clean up. For reference, where is t’other end. If it is broken as some suggest, is it easily replaced..

I’ve looked at the pictures and it seems easy enough to locate and undo. Is it just this end that I clean up. For reference, where is t’other end. If it is broken as some suggest, is it easily replaced..

Beware, the earth cable in question may look OK though can easily hide a poor connection to the crimp. Ours broke off the crimp with minimal effort.

Beware, the earth cable in question may look OK though can easily hide a poor connection to the crimp. Ours broke off the crimp with minimal effort.

Where would the crimp be located. Is this a cable that can be easily removed and replaced?

Where would the crimp be located. Is this a cable that can be easily removed and replaced?

The earth connection behind the headlight is crimped to the cable in question. You could have a great connection between the crimped end and the body though have a poor connection between the crimp and the cable without noticing as there's heatshrink over the connection.

One end of the cable attaches to the frame, but where does the other end connect to?

0a7972d0f6ce37609fd765a9c886df56.jpg
is this the correct cable should I need to replace it.

Last edited:
I’ve searched but can’t find where to get one from. I suppose an Audi main dealer is the place to go.

I'd likely use this(please confirm length and hole size first - I can probably check tomorrow if needed).

I'd likely use this(please confirm length and hole size first - I can probably check tomorrow if needed).
Thanks. I’m going to have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks. I’m going to have a look at it tomorrow.
Note 7zap has the FSI Earth strap with part number, as above for used eBay item, ending in L not K.

I have a very vague memory (could easily be wrong) of circa £35 for new from Audi. There is a German website with a similar price.

Andy

Last edited:
Be careful when trying to undo the 13mm bolt the earth strap connected through, try and use a six sided socket, prevent bolt head from rounding as it might be tight due to corrosion, clean the surface and (optional) put copper washer on when tightening the bolt

Back