in-tank Turbo cleaner for TDi recommendations..

allypug

A2OC Donor
Thought this may be worth a shot for my tdi 75's turbo (AMF) as it still goes into limp mode on every journey. Anyone tried this with success?
I don't really want to remove the turbo if I don't need to. Oil was leaking into the turbo from failed valve seals after a headgasket change. (They had to do it again to sort the valve seals out!)
Don't know how good these cleaners are that you stick in the fuel tank.

Steve T

Last edited:
Steve, I had recurrent unexplained limp mode on a 210,000 mile Alhambra TDI, tried lots of things and eventually removed the EGR and inlet manifold. I removed 264g of carbon, the EGR was down to less than half the cross-sectional area. After that it was fine, power and mpg significantly better. I’ve not followed every bit of your saga, could this be your problem? Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
update.. I stuck a bottle of 'Forte diesel turbo cleaner' in the tank which has improved things slightly, fewer limp homes last week, but guessing this could also be cleaning the egr slightly!

@allypug I had this problem with my wife's Merc. Replaced the turbo actuator and the problem went away for a while. When the limp home problem reoccurred the actuator supplier recommended Forte diesel turbo cleaner along with instructions:

Put Forte diesel turbo cleaner in tank.
Drive steadily at no more than 2500 rpm for 200 miles, easy with Merc, a bit challenging with A2.
Take car out for a blast, easy with A2, licence threatening in Merc.

I mixed to the turbo de-coke proportions advised on the bottle. The Merc turbo has been transformed and the A2 (not a variable turbo) runs much smoother. I made sure the A2 EGR vac pipe was connected to ensure cleaning gasses were getting to the EGR and inlet valves.

Last edited:
Hi just going through something similar with my TDI. Error code P0299
Have found the vacuume block full of oil for the N75 sensor. Due to knackered turbo oil seals.
Turbo was replace but the oil had already contaminated the sensor.
I did have some success with cleaning out the valve block. But have now decided to replace it. £200 +vat new or £24 used from ebay for the uprated version. Maybe worth a look.

Back