Instruments black - immobilizer activated

I was driving down the road on a nice day and suddenly the instrument cluster went black. As I pulled over to see what is up, the engine shut down. Towed her home, order the Ross-Tech. Checked: Immobilizer activated, no contact with instrument cluster controller. No contact with immobilizer controller. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box. All good. Any tips? Hidden fuse in the instruments? Or can the cluster suddenly just die?

Worth taking the cluster out to make sure the plugs are properly connected. Someone could have been in there before you and not put something back properly.

Have you checked fuse number 1, remember that a visual check is not good enough, I have seen many fuses that look ok but are not. Try swapping another 10a fuse from a different function.

Steve B

Worth taking the cluster out to make sure the plugs are properly connected. Someone could have been in there before you and not put something back properly.
Hey, the connectors were all locked on place and the cluster itself still had factory seal. I am the second owner and don't think the previous guy did more than washing and waxing. Any tips on figuring out which wire should power the cluster?

Interesting find. Fuse 1 is ok, but has no power coming to it. Is this because the gauge is removed? Or is this why the gauge was black when connected? Looking forward..

Not tearing into that wiring harness! It's all just one big black snake. I'm no surgeon. This will have to work! Won't win any beauty awards, but I can return my loaner car tomorrow.
IMG_20200710_225859.jpg

Did you try a new fuse in position 1 or did you check for power with a multimeter?
cheers
Steve B

Did you try a new fuse in position 1 or did you check for power with a multimeter?
cheers
Steve B
The reason that I ask is because some fuses look ok even after they have blown.
Did you try a new fuse or removing the other end of the bridge you made (taking it out of fuse 2)

sorry if you have already tried this but I have spent many an hour looking for an error in the feed and it was just that the fuse LOOKED ok.
Steve B

Back