Introduction of soft touch vs silver rings in cluster

Joga

A2OC Donor
Perhaps someone has knowledge on this?
Currently I (we) have an 2001,SHE, and a 2003 1.4 petrol. The latter have both soft touch eg on light switch and climate control panel, and has silver rings in the instrument cluster.
But SHE has hard touch and and black rings.
Where these change synchronized in production?
I know this would be worthless knowledge for all but A2 fans ?, but hey, thats me.

Yes cars up to July 2001 had black rings around the clocks. The front can be swapped over quite easily if you prefer either look.

Hi Joga,

2000- and 2001-model-year A2s had hard-touch controls.

2000- and 2001-model-year A2s came with black rings around the instrument dials unless the 'aluminium pack' was selected for that car. So, you will find early A2s with the silver rings and hard-touch controls (I believe @spike's car is one of these). In the UK, from 2002 onwards, the aluminium pack was included by default. From 2002 onwards, the soft-touch controls became standard. So, whilst there is some connection between the two changes, there isn't perfect synchronicity.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Joga,

2000- and 2001-model-year A2s had hard-touch controls.

2000- and 2001-model-year A2s came with black rings around the instrument dials unless the 'aluminium pack' was selected for that car. So, you will find early A2s with the silver rings and hard-touch controls. In the UK, from 2002 onwards, the aluminium pack was included by default. From 2002 onwards, the soft-touch controls became standard. So, whilst there is some connection between the two changes, there isn't perfect synchronicity.

Cheers,

Tom
Wondered what the aluminium pack was, there’s not much of it (£119+vat!) in the car that’s for sure!

Wondered what the aluminium pack was, there’s not much of it (£119+vat!) in the car that’s for sure!
It's the silver rings on the clocks, plus the vertical trim lines in the armrests and the glovebox handle in aluminium. Oh, and a little ring piece on the handbrake lever. Like you say, not a lot.

It's the silver rings on the clocks, plus the vertical trim lines in the armrests and the glovebox handle in aluminium. Oh, and a little ring piece on the handbrake lever. Like you say, not a lot.
+ the silver ring around the base of the gear stick. Audi are nothing if not generous! :D

Thanks all, an impressive bank of knowledge.
I am now wiser (or well, at least with more knowledge).
I wasnt aware there was an aluminium pack until now, and I now also get why the newer A2 we have has aluminium glove box handle but not the older one, that too had puzzled me.

+ the silver ring around the base of the gear stick. Audi are nothing if not generous! :D
Interesting, I always thought that came with the SE spec, like the leather gearknob & gaiter, and the silver button and leather grip on the handbrake.

I think we both missed another item: the little alu insert in the grab bar on the passenger side of the dash. Such generosity! :D

Interesting, I always thought that came with the SE spec, like the leather gearknob & gaiter, and the silver button and leather grip on the handbrake.

I think we both missed another item: the little alu insert in the grab bar on the passenger side of the dash. Such generosity! :D
That’s tipped it over! Now it’s a bargain!

To quote my A2 price list effective September 2000

Optional Equipment

Aluminium pack, consisting interior elements finished in brushed aluminium (A) (B) £140 including VAT
(A) Elements included are trim rings for the passengers door armrest and surrounding instrument dials.
Interior door releases and glovebox catch finished in aluminium as well as the decorative outer ring for the base of the gear lever gaiter.
(B) Must be combined with the leather steering wheel. Price quoted does not include the price of this option.

So add £120 for 4 spoke and £220 for 3 spoke leather steering wheel for the base model, leather wheel standard on SE..

Optional Equipment

Aluminium pack, consisting interior elements finished in brushed aluminium (A) (B) £140 including VAT
(A) Elements included are trim rings for the passengers door armrest and surrounding instrument dials.
Interior door releases and glovebox catch finished in aluminium as well as the decorative outer ring for the base of the gear lever gaiter.
(B) Must be combined with the leather steering wheel. Price quoted does not include the price of this option.

So add £120 for 4 spoke and £220 for 3 spoke leather steering wheel for the base model, leather wheel standard on SE..
It’s not too bad, I remember when I worked for Audi the most outrageously expensive option for me was probably the luggage set for the r8, can’t remember the exact cost but it was tiny, and I couldn’t imagine anyone walking round with them lol ?

So for that amount of aluminium it should really have been gold plated not aluminium or better still solid 9 ct gold
Last time I bought raw aluminium metal was about 2000 and it was £3.50 per kg for aircraft grade ally
So Mr Audi was certainly charging enough for the aluminium pack to offset some of the losses they say they made on every A2 made
Although this will be down to how it was accounted for, statistics damn statistics and lies comes to mind

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optional Equipment

Ah, hence my misunderstanding about the SE - because you only see it with the leather wheel. I'll remember that! Thanks for clearing it up ?

Back