Is the A2 a moving target for road abuse!?

Hi guys,

Since I purchased my A2 I really enjoyed my time in taking it up to scratch, however: I also noticed that I do get some "attention" from some some other drivers, in that every now and again some get aggressive and try to drive all around me (overtaking from the left or right so long I am not ahead of them) or get stuck right under my bumper so to move out their way; I feel that I do not drive any differently from my other car (Ford Mondeo MK4 estate) which is much larger.
To be fair the wee 1.6FSI has some proper get-up and go that makes it pretty nippy both in town and on a motorway, but my question is if any of you noticed the same thing, or is it just something playing my mind? ?

I had a Beemer the other night not appreciating being poached out of a bend by a 17-year old yellow Storm ? . Accelerated to stop me pulling in when I was already well clear afterwards. There's always the odd one, in my much more solid Volvo too so it's not just an A2 thing.

You mention being undertaken, please tell me your not a middle lane hog who doesn't move in when it's clear, it is a real pet hate of mine. I will say I don't believe in breaking the law and driving dangerously but I can understand people's frustration.
I can't say I've had any issue with aggressive drivers since owning my A2, it's really the usual idiots on the road who drive up people's back ends, always going to get them whatever you drive.

You mention being undertaken, please tell me your not a middle lane hog who doesn't move in when it's clear, it is a real pet hate of mine. I will say I don't believe in breaking the law and driving dangerously but I can understand people's frustration.
I can't say I've had any issue with aggressive drivers since owning my A2, it's really the usual idiots on the road who drive up people's back ends, always going to get them whatever you drive.
Not at all, it's worth pointing out that Edinburgh is rich with bus lanes that are shared with traffic at certain hours, so effectively the left lane can become a secondary lane to ease pressure, which in turn can become a fast lane for taking off airport-style; clear as mud!? ?
Having said all that, I think the above is down to a few things: 1- Not being used to a small car (which I love!) 2- Driving (and parking) around Edinburgh has reached nightmare status, mixed with some individuals that shouldn't even be in charge of a bicycle 3- Corona frustration inducing a shot-er fuse 4- Relaxation of lockdown= the doors of the zoo have reopened!

I pretty much refused to take a car into Edinburgh when we lived nearby (took the motorbike). The bus lanes were great as many of them are timed and as drivers 'can't' read the bus lane times they end up largely empty much of the time. ?

Not at all, it's worth pointing out that Edinburgh is rich with bus lanes that are shared with traffic at certain hours, so effectively the left lane can become a secondary lane to ease pressure, which in turn can become a fast lane for taking off airport-style; clear as mud!? ?
Having said all that, I think the above is down to a few things: 1- Not being used to a small car (which I love!) 2- Driving (and parking) around Edinburgh has reached nightmare status, mixed with some individuals that shouldn't even be in charge of a bicycle 3- Corona frustration inducing a shot-er fuse 4- Relaxation of lockdown= the doors of the zoo have reopened!
Good to know your not a middle lane hog, now you have given more detail I understand exactly what your saying, it's the same in Bristol as there are a lot of those timed lanes and it happens there also. I think you've pretty much answered your own question now;) but all that said just make sure you are on the right side of the law and let the idiots get caught out as they will eventually. Stay safe and keep enjoying the dream of A2 ownership?

I do sometimes find that people take a bit of umbridge at being overtaken by me and my A2. I have often gone past someone doing 65 on the motorway only to find them speeding up and overtaking me, only to them go back to 65 so I end up going past again. But not really had any trouble
Maybe they are just wanting a 2nd look at you and your A2.....take it as a compliment ?

I must admit there have been a few times when I have felt that some 'undesirable' owners of larger high powered Mercedes and BMW's have tried to bully me somewhat from behind when I have been driving our A2 (but being 6' 2" they soon look away when I give them a glare and I'm probably not quite the driver they were expecting me to be) which I put down to the A2 being quite narrow and small looking from the rear especially when fitted with the narrower 15" wheels.

Maybe they are just wanting a 2nd look at you and your A2.....take it as a compliment ?

I must admit there have been a few times when I have felt that some 'undesirable' owners of larger high powered Mercedes and BMW's have tried to bully me somewhat from behind when I have been driving our A2 (but being 6' 2" they soon look away when I give them a glare and I'm probably not quite the driver they were expecting me to be) which I put down to the A2 being quite narrow and small looking from the rear especially when fitted with the narrower 15" wheels.
I think I get odd looks when people see a 6'7" 40 year old driving a little car, I quite like surprising people.

I must admit that I get more compliments than negative things - the lady in my Shell garage absolutely loves Mabel - says it makes her day when she sees her pop onto the forecourt. Interestingly, people think it's a new car (I have an A2 plate) and are a bit shocked when I tell them she is 18

I have noticed a different attitude towards the A2 than a larger car. They seem to view the A2 as a little car and need to be in front (at all cost) because small cars drive slowly. It might have something to do with where I live....a lot of {cough} elderly people own smaller cars and they tend to drive at a more leisurely pace. Unfortunately they view the A2 in that category. I tend to (but not always) let those type of drivers pass but I am keen to upgrade the horns on my car as some of them need to be reminded of my presence!

Sometimes big cars get too close. Doesn't bother me they can wait, I'm normally at or slightly above the legal limit any way.

I also have a Porsche that I drive at exactly the same speeds and it never gets any hassle, I think the problem for those who would hassle is they know it would blow them away if I chose to, so they just wait.
Edit had a think about this, perhaps bully boy in 4 wheel drive on wheels thinks:
Small car, incompetent, can’t go any faster, get out of my way.
Fast car can go faster, but chose to drive at that speed. OK.

Last edited:
I have noticed a different attitude towards the A2 than a larger car. They seem to view the A2 as a little car and need to be in front (at all cost) because small cars drive slowly. It might have something to do with where I live....a lot of {cough} elderly people own smaller cars and they tend to drive at a more leisurely pace. Unfortunately they view the A2 in that category. I tend to (but not always) let those type of drivers pass but I am keen to upgrade the horns on my car as some of them need to be reminded of my presence!
The twin horn upgrade is an essential safety mod for the A2 - the standard single tone horn is pathetic!

Both Audrey and Akoya now sport this mod.

Also here (Sweden) I have noticed the same thing. When driving the bigger car (Citroen C5 Estate) things are rather normal, but when in the A2 people seems to just assume that this is a slow vehicle. It is surely psychology involved here ?

The twin horn upgrade is an essential safety mod for the A2 - the standard single tone horn is pathetic!

Both Audrey and Akoya now sport this mod.
I rarely need to use the horn these days though when I do I like to be heard. Ours have Bosch fanfare twins or these..

Back