It pays to shop around

JavaGreen

Scotland
Sorry about the title however, I wanted to get across the message of saving money without offending admin and indeed people selling particular items for sale.

So thanks to Steve in Frodsham (Wales), I purchased his set of A1 alloys (good condition), they came with a set of winter tyres and had plenty of tread and a set of wheel covers…. Cost £125 collected, I was passing the area on holiday so no extra expenditure.

I have posted said wheels.

The wheels have today been sent to a firm that will totally refurbish the wheels, check for true alignment, refit and balance tyres. The cost will be £220 as I have selected a gloss colour as the finish therefore, total cost will be £345 for a complete set of mint wheels to fit to the A2.

I think that total cost is more than competitive in comparison to some items (careful wording) that I see on the site and all said and done, will be as good as new. Images of completed items next week when I collect.

Amin, no need to move ’post’, as it advises on condition of an item once refurbished therefore, it is not a wanted/for sale item, just a post that will show refurbished wheels👍

Attachments

• AC08F3DC-A743-464B-AFCD-627F643EBC32.jpeg
    AC08F3DC-A743-464B-AFCD-627F643EBC32.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
  • E72D8949-787D-4084-9ABD-6FB81318E666.jpeg
    E72D8949-787D-4084-9ABD-6FB81318E666.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
  • 140FFA56-1335-46FC-B620-A99EEABB9F17.jpeg
    140FFA56-1335-46FC-B620-A99EEABB9F17.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 105
  • 31958C86-7B1B-4540-A90A-BABC63853E98.jpeg
    31958C86-7B1B-4540-A90A-BABC63853E98.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
This thread seems somewhat premature. Your wheels haven't yet been refurbished, so you don't know what 'extras' the refurbisher might charge you for, let alone the quality of the work.

Check out the current price of a set of new Pepperpots for some perspective:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread seems somewhat premature. Your wheels haven't yet been refurbished, so you don't know what 'extras' the refurbisher might charge you for, let alone the quality of the work.

Worse than that though it reads like you know the price of everything, but the value of nothing. Your recent bellyaching about prices being asked in the market section of the site for wheel sets has been unattractive and contrary to the ethos of this site.

Check out the current price of a set of new Pepperpots and get a sense of perspective:
I had some Black circle tyres, Goodyear (Other online tyre providers are available) fitted at a BMW agent a few years back and in the showroom was a set of alloys for a BMW priced at just under £5K probably over 5 times the value of my 18 year old A4 Avant at the time. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

May I ask who you have used for the refurb? My A2 and TT could probably both benefit. I was going use Carrick Wheels in Prestwick otherwise.

I have a set of those that I'm just about to advertise at a quarter of that price.....must be a good deal! 😂👍

I have seen the quality of their work, very high standard. The wheels I put in for shot blasting and powder coating are in very good condition. If the price increase at all, it will be very little. Refurbishes words not mine.
The wheels you have suggested look expensive for a twenty year old car.

May I ask who you have used for the refurb? My A2 and TT could probably both benefit. I was going use Carrick Wheels in Prestwick otherwise.
Indeed, I am using Carrick Wheels, excellent reputation and once they are done I shall post results here. KA5 cannot be to fat from me…. KA7 so you could always see them in the macoy before getting yours done. So confident they will do a good job that I have another two sets of wheels for them to do👍😍👍

I have a set of those that I'm just about to advertise at a quarter of that price.....must be a good deal! 😂👍
A great deal🤫👍😍…. Like my post suggested shop around for the best deal that suits…..

I have seen good whole A2 cars priced less than that😳😂😂😂😂😂😂

The cost will be £220 as I have selected a gloss colour as the finish therefore, total cost will be £345 for a complete set of mint wheels to fit to the A2.
)
So you've spent £345 (plus a bit extra for getting the wheels to the refurbisher, and what have you ended up with? A set of cast, overweight wheels. For that sort of money, you could have easily found a nice set of pepperpots which are stronger and lighter, but which you consider overpriced. Where's the sense in that?

Each to their own, alot of people are happy to pay for pepprpots to keep the weight down and keep it audi, which is in keeping with the ethos of the A2. Some people like to have different wheels based on looks, and value a bargain and economy, also in keeping with the A2.
I don't see the need for the 'atmosphere' rising in this thread.
There's merits to both arguments, and everyone is allowed to spend what they want to, on whatever pleases them.
If you're happy to buy your wheels at the price shown, then you're happy. No ones being ripped off, everyone has a choice. Like buying a house, on paper some look expensive, ut nit to everyone, and there's more than one reason to buy a house.

This forum is better than quibbles over alloy wheels prices.

Looking forward to the refurbs pictures 📸!!

Sorry about the title however, I wanted to get across the message of saving money without offending admin and indeed people selling particular items for sale.

So thanks to Steve in Frodsham (Wales), I purchased his set of A1 alloys (good condition), they came with a set of winter tyres and had plenty of tread and a set of wheel covers…. Cost £125 collected, I was passing the area on holiday so no extra expenditure.

The wheels have today been sent to a firm that will totally refurbish the wheels, check for true alignment, refit and balance tyres. The cost will be £220 as I have selected a gloss colour as the finish therefore, total cost will be £345 for a complete set of mint wheels to fit to the A2.

I think that total cost is more than competitive in comparison to some items (careful wording) that I see on the site and all said and done, will be as good as new. Images of completed items next week when I collect.

Amin, no need to move ’post’, as it advises on condition of an item once refurbished therefore, it is not a wanted/for sale item, just a post that will show refurbished wheels👍
I'm an admin and seems we are neighbours. Lets grab a coffee and a gab. Im not easily offended 😍

Each to their own, alot of people are happy to pay for pepprpots to keep the weight down and keep it audi, which is in keeping with the ethos of the A2. Some people like to have different wheels based on looks, and value a bargain and economy, also in keeping with the A2.
I don't see the need for the 'atmosphere' rising in this thread.
There's merits to both arguments, and everyone is allowed to spend what they want to, on whatever pleases them.
If you're happy to buy your wheels at the price shown, then you're happy. No ones being ripped off, everyone has a choice. Like buying a house, on paper some look expensive, ut nit to everyone, and there's more than one reason to buy a house.

This forum is better than quibbles over alloy wheels prices.

Looking forward to the refurbs pictures 📸!!
So true. You literally pays your money and makes your choice. Personally I think pepperpots and the added lightness deserve a premium but I have no issues that others don’t.

Wow!! Dont even get center caps!
I also like how the peppers protect the brakes as some open spoked wheels really allow the weather in to the detriment of the discs but no doubt great for cooling the brakes!

Peppers are the only wheel i would ever fit to an A2 but i am the kind of guy who sticks to what he knows and wont try much new at the risk of having a dissapointing meal lol!

As said its all a personal choice and would be boring if we were all the same!

As promised, please see attached images of refurbished wheels (very quick turnaround) collected today:

Cost was as originally quoted = £220 (I live 2 miles from Carrick Wheels).
No extra cost…. wheels have been shot blasted, checked for true alignment, powder coated and lacquer, tyres refitted and balanced…. what’s not to like

Colour is an Audi colour, Anthracite Grey/lacquer.

Total cost of exercise = £220 + original cost of wheels and winter tyres £125 = £345. Bargain👍

Did ask how long work will last….. answer was just wash normally, do not use chemical products as per wheel cleaners (they cause damage as well as cleaning wheel 😳), should last five years +….. will not have car that long😂😂😂

Wheels are WINTER wheels, PEPPERPOTS will now be refurbished (not that they need it) for the summer.

Attachments

• 294806F0-9E05-4C85-8D71-0D9078055F55.jpeg
    294806F0-9E05-4C85-8D71-0D9078055F55.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
  • F7EBBE95-AE64-4F6D-8F3E-DC2CD2F6AB18.jpeg
    F7EBBE95-AE64-4F6D-8F3E-DC2CD2F6AB18.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 96
  • 31BE55D3-E8AC-4BFD-BA70-20D74A2142F5.jpeg
    31BE55D3-E8AC-4BFD-BA70-20D74A2142F5.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
  • A61B3DA3-3E39-475F-B489-E111D30F1F47.jpeg
    A61B3DA3-3E39-475F-B489-E111D30F1F47.jpeg