Just bought one.

Pilchard

I hope I don't regret it.
It's an 02 Reg 1.4 tdi 74bhp. The silver body & paint is in great shape. It's the basic one with no A/C, manual rear windows, no spare etc. Miles are highish at 170k (but it WAS cheap) and as far as I am aware no major issues.... yet. In a couple of days it'll have a new cambelt kit and pump, and I'm waiting 'till then to get totally aquainted with it.
Known faults are things like missing centres to the alloys, a broken rear window winder handle, no user book, missing pull-out luggage cover, worn-down-to-white switches and buttons. The guy I bought it from told me... and I've no reason to disbelieve him... that the alarm horn don't work because the alarm backup battery needs replacing. That's not the fob battery, but the one that powers the alarm even when normal car battery is flat.
Will be attending to these all in due course... and, I dare say, using this forum, looking for advice and sources.

Have had mixed Audi experiences in the past. The 100 Avant 2.3 petrol 5 cylinder was the best car I've ever owned. It drove beautifully... a real autobahn hooligan... and never ever, ever... ever went wrong despite being a little long in the tooth. I had it for 6 years and apart from consumables, it needed nothing... not even a bulb. The A6 2.5 tdi V6 Avant was a different story. Great power and speed, but it cost a fortune in garage bills and breakdowns.

I'd always assumed these A2s were lemons... because they just didn't sell... but I now know it was just because they were just too expensive. A petrol-head friend turned me on to them when I mentioned I wanted something small and cheap to run to get my nervous driver wife back on the road. She's an Audi fan. She looked and liked, and set her heart on one.... so that was it.

So.... Hi everyone!

Welcome to the forum, quite new myself after lurking here for several month before buying one....again.

Had one 10 yrs ago, brilliant little car, but baby came along and couldn't get pushchair in boot, so it had to go!
Now daughter is older, so enjoying owning one again!

It's a great forum, very active and loads of brilliant advice from the members....enjoy :)

Welcome, to the A2oc forum. You will find a wealth of info here but often easiest to find what you want by googling, starting woth A2oc.
Always worth stumping up £2 to gain access to marketplace, a great source of temptation to get rid of money!
If others are anything to go by, then one is never enough..... from someone who currently has 4!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, quite new myself after lurking here for several month before buying one....again.

Had one 10 yrs ago, brilliant little car, but baby came along and couldn't get pushchair in boot, so it had to go!

It's a great forum, very active and loads of brilliant advice from the members....enjoy :)

Having been looking for a 1.9tdi Fabia Estate (rocking horse poo for a decent one at a fair price) It was just a couple of weeks ago I was inspired by a friend to get an A2 instead; so very little time to research... and I didn't even know A2OC existed. After looking at a couple of A2's with dealers (both very dodgy coves) 300 miles away, while visiting family, I was gobsmacked to find this cheapie privately advertized just 3 miles from my home. At £625 with no significant faults and a pristine silver body... I just had to buy it.
If I learn to love it, I'll probably keep my eyes open for a newer one with low milage and higher spec.

Welcome, to the A2oc forum. You will find a wealth of info here but often easiest to find what you want by googling, starting woth A2oc.
Always worth stumping up £2 to gain access to marketplace, a great source of temptation to get rid of money!
If others are anything to go by, then one is never enough..... from someone who currently has 4!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Hi JB, the marketplace sounds like something I should join. How do I do that?
Went out for a bit of a drive today and found out how very light these things are, by getting a bit blown about; & it also seems to tramline quite easily... but I dare say I'll get used to it's quirks. The lumpy sounding little 1.4 tdi (74bhp) is pretty torquey once it has some revs and the gear ratios fully exploit that power... until you forget inevitable limits and stall it at a junction by not changing down. I'll get used to it.
If we get on together, I'll be looking for another... something younger/higher spec/lower miles... but 4 of them?... that's real love, or obsession.

I'm a newby around here as well and westling with my first A2, something of a project car. Good luck with yours: funnily enough, mine's a silver 1.4petrol (climate, leather, false floor) but I'd prefer a TDi75 in silver so when you're ready for a change ... :)

Anyway, welcome fellow newcomer: it's a very welcoming, useful and interesting corner of the interweb!

By chance I've spend today with a second time (very long term) owner of an A2 who is also the owner of a 993. It was he that inspired me to buy my 1.4i. Or to put it another way, I blame him!

By chance I've spend today with a second time (very long term) owner of an A2 who is also the owner of a 993. It was he that inspired me to buy my 1.4i. Or to put it another way, I blame him!
There are a few 911 owners on this forum with A2s, obviously appreciate quality ?
Alas, mine has gone ??, sold it early last year.
what do you have?

There are a few 911 owners on this forum with A2s, obviously appreciate quality ?
Alas, mine has gone ??, sold it early last year.
what do you have?

With apologies for the thread hijack ...

Like you I've recently sold my last 911, a 996 C2 manual coupe. Also had 76 Carrera 3.0, 72 2.4E and my starting point, 73 2.4T. All coupes.

I also restore shells for 65-73 911's with the occasional impact bumper going through. Googling Barry Carter Porsche will usually throw up pictures of an increasingly grey Mr Bean impersonator standing miserably beside the latest shell :rolleyes:

As you suggest, the A2 and the 911 make excellent companions in many regards!

OP, apologies again for trampling over your thread :)

Like you I've recently sold my last 911, a 996 C2 manual coupe. Also had 76 Carrera 3.0, 72 2.4E and my starting point, 73 2.4T. All coupes.

I also restore shells for 65-73 911's with the occasional impact bumper going through. Googling Barry Carter Porsche will usually throw up pictures of an increasingly grey Mr Bean impersonator standing miserably beside the latest shell :rolleyes:

You are a legend sir! what a great job restoring old 911's.....if I could change my career!

Hope to be back in the seat of some pork again one day.....building project stole my perfect car a 993 2S with just 65K ??????

What is it with Porsche owners that attracts them to A2's? I'd have thought they are opposite ends of the spectrum. It must be the lightweight aluminium build and unique quirky design.

Past and present. Owned a 356 C few years ago....
3CD80757-0A47-497D-926A-4FB77AE4601B.jpeg

What is it with Porsche owners that attracts them to A2's? I'd have thought they are opposite ends of the spectrum. It must be the lightweight aluminium build and unique quirky design.

Ooh, that's a great potential thread title! I guess: German and Germanic, understated somewhat timeless (certainly unfussy) design that is resistant to dating or can be gently updated over the original solid foundations. Engineering excellence naturally. Probably an element of you have to live with it for a while to really appreciate it? The opposite of a lot of cars (or products actually) that have huge showroom / photographic appeal but for all sorts of reasons don't ultimately live up to the promise. All sizzle and no steak so to speak.

Both the A2 and the 911 are unique in their own way, whether that be by placing the engine in a ridiculous position, or making the body using hugely challenging build techniques. All to achieve something 97% of consumers will never appreciate or value.

I guess these qualities may well also apply to other areas: I don't know many 911 owners who don't or least appreciate a nice mechanical watch or camera and usually own nice examples of both.

Last edited:
You are a legend sir! what a great job restoring old 911's.....if I could change my career!

Hope to be back in the seat of some pork again one day.....building project stole my perfect car a 993 2S with just 65K ??????

Why thank you! There are a few early 911's running around with my paw prints on them.

As it happens you might find the market works for you: a lot of cars are slipping at the moment so you might well find your way back in to another 993 later on with the market on your side.

Why thank you! There are a few early 911's running around with my paw prints on them.

As it happens you might find the market works for you: a lot of cars are slipping at the moment so you might well find your way back in to another 993 later on with the market on your side.
Let’s hope that prices go back to where they should be, although the 993 turned out to be a great investment, but not my intention! Maybe one day finances will allow ?

I think your right I have the 996 turbo and looking at prices ☹ They are on their way down or at least lots for sale but not selling ..hope to get out a little more in her this year..but last summer went out more on the motorbike ..

I think your right I have the 996 turbo and looking at prices ☹ They are on their way down or at least lots for sale but not selling ..hope to get out a little more in her this year..but last summer went out more on the motorbike ..
Mine became a bit of a garage Queen, clocking up less than 1K each year! Think the value made it less useable ?

Back