just done cambelt... oh shyte!

allypug

A2OC Donor
Did the cambelt and water pump on my tdi with BHC engine, got it back together and wouldn't start, threw up the code 19464 camshaft position sensor out of range. Guessing I may have got it a tooth out, or is there any other cause? I just have a basic code reader so no more info.
BTW I don't think much of Audi's manuals.. doesn't even seem to be like my engine in the pictures!
First time I've done this, got the correct locking tools, but the cam rod-tool thing didn't seem to 'lock' very well.
Oh dear!

I feel your pain. I did our cam belt on Thursday, started first thing and finished at 8pm, what a nightmare job. Ours is petrol though so I can’t help with your problem.
I managed to move the crank pulley trying to undo the crank bolt, I think some poo actually came out of my bum at that stage! But after some googling I found there is a mark on the pulley to line it back up, thew!

Did the cambelt and water pump on my tdi with BHC engine, got it back together and wouldn't start, threw up the code 19464 camshaft position sensor out of range. Guessing I may have got it a tooth out, or is there any other cause? I just have a basic code reader so no more info.
BTW I don't think much of Audi's manuals.. doesn't even seem to be like my engine in the pictures!
First time I've done this, got the correct locking tools, but the cam rod-tool thing didn't seem to 'lock' very well.
Oh dear!
I can only suggest re aligning the timing marks to check if the belt is fitted correctly

I will have calmed down by next weekend to re-do, on the motorbike this week then! not fun wet n cold 60 miles each way. At least now I should be able to do it in a maybe 3 hours rather than the whole weekend!
Very annoyed at myself!!

Just a thought.. Just before I moved the car to my garage to do the work, it didn't start as well as normal, ran a bit rough and quite a lot of smoke from the exhaust, and took more revs than normal to get it up our slight inclined gravel drive. Could this be a sign of a failing/failed camshaft position sensor?
The week prior to that I also noticed a big increase in fuel consumption, about 100 less miles per tankful!!
Could this be a possibility?

I also feel your pain. I think the camshaft sensor produces a digital output - i.e. high when the mark is in front of the sensor and low at other times so I think it would either work or not, rather than some delay or intermittent operation. IIRC it's a "Hall Effect" position sensor.
I don't think I'll be much use (having only done cambelt changes on 8V petrol VWs and a Ford or two), but if you want a second pair of eyes on it, Hitchin is on my commute home so I could call in one evening. Also I've got the full version of VCDS with a Chinese cable if that is any use.

Thanks for the kind offer, I'm not in Hitchin any more.. now in Wootton on the edge of Bedford.
I mentioned the camshaft sensor thing as I researched a bit and seem to have/had the exact same symptoms just before I did the cambelt. Could well be a bizare coincidence!

A scan with vagcom is a must but not sure if this is possible if it will longer run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cam position sensor identifies which cylinder is on the firing stroke so the ECU can provide the correct injection sequence. If the sensor fails the crank sensor can provide the same info but takes a few revolutions to work it out before the engine fires up. If the timing is a tooth or two out, the sensors give conflicting info to the ECU and the engine may not start.
If you disconnect the cam sensor the engine should fire up if nothing else is amiss - a quick check which shows you need to revisit the cambelt timing.
I'm assuming as part of the cambelt replacement procedure you've already turned the engine over by hand a few times to ensure there is no 'interference'

Cheers Spike

I'm assuming as part of the cambelt replacement procedure you've already turned the engine over by hand a few times to ensure there is no 'interference'

Hi Spike,

Not as easy as on a Tdi. After setting up the belt on a Tdi, the procedure is to give the crakshaft two turns and then see if the two locking tools still fit. For a petrol, there is no crankshaft locking tool!

RAB

Thanks Spike and Rab, Where would I find the cam sensor plug to disconnect (sorry, haven't done much work on the A2 before) I did turn the engine over a couple times after doing the belt, no interference there.
Worth checking the sensor, as the car was playing up a bit for the first time ever, just before I did the belt and pump.

Steve T

Last edited:
Got a new camshaft sensor just incase! I'll try disconnecting the one on the car tonight if there's time to see wots wot. If I don't get it sorted this weekend think I'll have to get a cheap spare car until I get the A2 back on the road.

Oh well this is turning out to be a nightmare, but I have just noticed something in a photo I took.. There's an arrow on the locking tool, I assumed the tooth needed to be straight up! So call me a bell end and can someone please confirm it's a tooth out after all??!

Attachments

• WP_20180224_15_02_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180224_15_02_22_Pro.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 314
  • WP_20180224_15_06_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180224_15_06_20_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 311
Can only just see the tip of what I think you are calling an arrow, but if it is definitely an arrow on the locking tool then I would say yes you are one tooth out.

Your arrow is not clear. Can I suggest you drop your images into Paint, say, and highlight your arrow and post these images. - Andy

Note to self.. read the Fking manual! yep tooth should align with locking tool. What a bellend. 3 hours of my time tomorrow then!

I've just removed the timing belt on mine today prior to taking the head off,Here's a piccie of mine at first I thought mine was wrong as I could not see the crank mark,bad luck feel for you!

Attachments

• DSC_0448.JPG
    DSC_0448.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 302
Back