Know problem with car dying during driving?

Seaansa

Hi, Have a 1.4 petrol from 2003. During last 2 years there have from time to time occured a problem. While driving all warning lamps flashes and a high biiip sounds. When the car is turned of and the restarted only the enging lamps ( and sometimes the EDC) lights. We have change the EGR since this might be one reason when scanning the error codes but no effect.
Since half a year back the problem occurs every time when driving and now the car also in 50% of the times just dies. Always ( except on time during winter time, when it took 5-10 minutes) the car can be re-started immediately. Now days I can acctually re-start while slowing down and continue driving. The codes are really strange, and none of the garage that have tried have figured the problem out. And here in Sweden, to leave the car at an Audi garage is not an option. It cost huge amount of money. So, is there anyone that have experienced the same or similar problem and know what to change and replace.

Br A
IMG_1704.jpg

i had a similar problem with one of my FSI's, the dash lit up every warning light - in my case that was a failed alternator. Could your issue be electrical? something like a faulty earth? those more expert than i will be along shortly with advice - they are sure to want to know fault codes so you may like to post those...cheers

Hi, Have a 1.4 petrol from 2003. During last 2 years there have from time to time occured a problem. While driving all warning lamps flashes and a high biiip sounds. When the car is turned of and the restarted only the enging lamps ( and sometimes the EDC) lights. We have change the EGR since this might be one reason when scanning the error codes but no effect.
Since half a year back the problem occurs every time when driving and now the car also in 50% of the times just dies. Always ( except on time during winter time, when it took 5-10 minutes) the car can be re-started immediately. Now days I can acctually re-start while slowing down and continue driving. The codes are really strange, and none of the garage that have tried have figured the problem out. And here in Sweden, to leave the car at an Audi garage is not an option. It cost huge amount of money. So, is there anyone that have experienced the same or similar problem and know what to change and replace.

Br A
View attachment 96939
I'm guessing garages are not using a VAG specific scan tool. I'd be very surprised if VCDS, OBD Eleven, or other VAG specific scaner did not give you a better idea of the cause.
There are other members in Sweden, 👍 one of them see this.
Mac.

Hi, Have a 1.4 petrol from 2003. During last 2 years there have from time to time occured a problem. While driving all warning lamps flashes and a high biiip sounds. When the car is turned of and the restarted only the enging lamps ( and sometimes the EDC) lights

My 1.4 petrol suffered similar occasional cut outs when I first owned it. Only ever happened when the weather was cold and windy and more often than not wet. All the warning lights would flash, and the engine would die. I'd then get a message on my DIS warning me of some random fault that apparently needed correcting. Restarting the engine, everything returned to normal.

No codes ever showed up on VCDS to shed any light on the cause.

The problem disappeared when I replaced my entire exhaust, and I've never had any similar episode since.

Last edited:
When our 2003 1.4 SE Petrol used to do that it was caused by a faulty Coil Pack sending some sort of electrical charge back to the ECU. When it was finally diagnosed I fitted a new Coil Pack. The problem went away and has never come back.

I'm guessing garages are not using a VAG specific scan tool. I'd be very surprised if VCDS, OBD Eleven, or other VAG specific scaner did not give you a better idea of the cause.
There are other members in Sweden, 👍 one of them see this.
Mac.
Thinking a bit more, crankshaft sensor could be the culprit. Unless it is sensing crankshaft position, there will be no sparks.
Mac.

The Faulty Coil Pack that was causing our 1.4 Petrol BBY Engine to Cut Out sporadically was never detected by any VAG Specific Diagnostics. It used to cut out anywhere, anytime - middle Lane of the M6 whilst overtaking HGVs. All that was needed was to quickly turn the Ignition off and Re Start the Engine. It was so unpredictable the Mrs stopped driving the A2 for the months on end that it went on for. The Faulty Coil Pack was a New Bougicord branded item, fitted by the RAC Breakdown Service.

Last edited:
The Faulty Coil Pack that was causing our 1.4 Petrol BBY Engine to Cut Out sporadically was never detected by any VAG Specific Diagnostics. It used to cut out anywhere, anytime - middle Lane of the M6 whilst overtaking HGVs. All that was needed was to quick turn the Ignition off and Re Start the Engine. It was so unpredictable the Mrs stopped driving the A2 for the months on end that it went on for. The Faulty Coil Pack was a New Bougicord branded item, fitted by the RAC Breakdown Service.
Crankshaft sensor will not throw a DTC either.

Edit: As well as no sparks, no fuelling either.
Mac.

Last edited:
Sorry to answer in dribs and drabs, but I'm laid low by the Covid.
If it is the crankshaft sensor, the rev counter will drop at the same time as the engine loses power.
Mac.

Sorry to answer in dribs and drabs, but I'm laid low by the Covid.
If it is the crankshaft sensor, the rev counter will drop at the same time as the engine loses power.
Mac.
Sorry for late reply.... life got in between. Hope that you have recovered from Covid.... nasty disease..... Got some different fault codes on the last alarm :17550, 01314 and 17961.

Hi

These codes point to induction related

17961 - Barometric / Manifold Pressure Signals: Implausible Correlation
01314- Engine Control Module
17550 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Lower Limit Exceeded

if I’ve looked them up correctly

Back