Lasi come home.

Rusty911

A2OC Donor
I should perhaps kick off by explaining the title: LA51 hence Lasi.

Appropriate really as my A2 1.4SE is indeed something of a dog. I've always fancied an A2 and did travel to Wales from East Sussex a year or so to look at one. Usual thing: 'full service history' = a five year old receipt for a battery, a puncture repair and a service in the book from roughly ten years ago. It did come with a lake in the boot though, which was nice. Anyway I hopped back into the towcar and dragged the trailer home again, empty.

Fast forward to the midst of Storm Dennis last week. Post lunch cupatea and a good time for pot luck on eBay and Autotrader. I did my usual: all cars, £3000 tops, nearest first: Go! Never quite sure what I suddenly need more than anything else in the world at that point until I see it. Blow me, here it is:

2002 Audi A2 1.4SE, too good to scrap. Mot August, FSH, Leather, Climate, good tyres, drives well, hpi clear. Engine light on hence £475.

Well, if that wasn't worth a call, nothing would be.

'Yes, I've had it for nine years and had it serviced locally every year. It likes a drink of oil, there're marks on the bodywork. The engine light is an emissions thing."

6 miles away, but someone's coming out later: damn them! Luckily for me, the seller (wisely) wasn't holding the car until he had a cash deposit in hand. Braving Storm Dennis I went round straight away. Standing under the shelter of his (rather lovely) oak barn I looked at Lasi out in the rain. Dented front bumper (deer), tiny dent in door (deer), fractionally detached rear bumper (deer: what, did he reverse over one?). Superficially it looked alright and I like them in silver, although frankly the moss and lichen in the seams, around the windows and in the bonnet vent might have to go.

Took it for a run: EML on plus oil level sensor failure warning. It seems to have driven 157,000 of its 158,000 miles over ploughed fields: it's little bit loose on the front end. I think a front spring is broken because fhe car has a bit of stance on the nearside and when you turn the wheel there's a comedy 'Boing!' now and then.

Getting back to his it was also clear it's peeing out raw fuel near the back. The engine rattles in a terminal way (if it's tappets it's because they've found their way into the combustion chamber). The interior is filthy and it stinks of dogs. Lots of dogs. There are some boiled sweets, soggy crisps and an old Elastoplast plaster trodden into the carpet. And it's been keyed through both driver's doors and front wing.

I bought it. Of course I did.

First thing after eying it warily all week was yesterday I hit it with the truckwash all over the seams, door shuts, outside of engine bay, door cards and surrounds (if you'd seen it, you'd excuse this behaviour). Also boot false floor and the two remaining mats got hit. That was followed with a conventional wash, a clay and machine polish. Can now see what I've got, which is actually pretty good. One door dent (50p size) the bumper damage at front which wouldn't really show much once cleaned and heat-aligned. The rear bumper will pop in fine, There're the key marks which is a great shame.

I have had some paint mixed up so will see what I can do with the keying and other little marks. I'll also touch the six-spoke 16's in as well. Pretty sure it's never had paint.

Seats are currently out and it's all been vac'd, steamed, wet vac'd and brush-vac'd. The lower trims around the door sill areas have been recoloured by rubbing in black vinyl paint (works really well and doesn't smooth the grain). I've got some climate control button stickers to go on and a new set of mats. I'll give the engine a scrub with phosphoric acid and generally tidy the bay.

Why bother? Well, I always do the pretty bit first: it's almost free, you can do a whole disgusting car in a weekend, it's good for the soul and you can then judge how far to go with the mechanicals. Frankly it's my favourite bit of getting a 'new' car.

As for this one, as well as the epic downsides, there are some ups:

Full black leather in lovely condition.
Climate control that works well.
Both keys, handpack, full tool-pack, compressor, wheel change kit, first aid kit / triangle, parcel shelf, false floor, full history, not too many owners (three before me) and it's iconic silver with black.
It was local.
I'd rather buy an honest cheap one that needs work than a dishonest tarted one that could be triple the price and still need work.

It stills owes me less than £500 with climate stickers and new carpet mats. I reckon I can spend the same again and still be 'safe' whatever that might be. More to the point, the last owner was right, it's too good to break.

Will finish interior in next few hours and by end of day will have touched up the paint and polished the exterior and glass.

I'll then jack it up and start the mechanicals which I suspect is where my good fortune will expire! Judging by the nasty noises I'm due an engine, front spring, front shocks, random bushes, either a fuel filter or what looked like an external fuel pump (?), at least one hub-cap. Oh yes, oil sensor possibly. And that's before I really start looking.

I must be mad. I'm not even sure where it'll fit into my bloated fleet. In the past though my best cars are the ones that come completely out of the blue and land in my lap. I like something different, love small cars (have an early Smart City Cabrio and a Roadster Coupe, building Austin 7 sports cars at work) and I'm a huge fan of VAG in this period. My Passat B5.5 130 Estate has been an utterly brilliant all rounder for years. I also love running a cheap car that looks like a three year old one: nothing gives me more pleasure than having one of the oldest cars in the car park that still holds its own against a nearly new one (well, from a few feet away at least).

What will I do with this? No idea. It seems a good chance to try an A2 and it might make the cut and stay. I might swap it over for a 1.6 or TDi later. Whatever: delighted it's here and not suffered a worse fate. Someone did phone the seller just after left with the car: would pay the full asking price. take out the seats and throw the rest away. Seems a bit mean ...

Thanks for reading: sorry to ramble on.

The name's Barry by the way. Nice to meet you :)

Last edited:
I should perhaps kick off by explaining the title: LA51 hence Lasi.

Appropriate really as my A2 1.4SE is indeed something of a dog. I've always fancied an A2 and did travel to Wales from East Sussex a year or so to look at one. Usual thing: 'full service history' = a five year old receipt for a battery, a puncture repair and a service in the book from roughly ten years ago. It did come with a lake in the boot though, which was nice. Anyway I hopped back into the towcar and dragged the trailer home again, empty.

Fast forward to the midst of Storm Dennis last week. Post lunch cupatea and a good time for pot luck on eBay and Autotrader. I did my usual: all cars, £3000 tops, nearest first: Go! Never quite sure what I suddenly need more than anything else in the world at that point until I see it. Blow me, here it is:

2002 Audi A2 1.4SE, too good to scrap. Mot August, FSH, Leather, Climate, good tyres, drives well, hpi clear. Engine light on hence £475.

Well, if that wasn't worth a call, nothing would be.

'Yes, I've had it for nine years and had it serviced locally every year. It likes a drink of oil, there're marks on the bodywork. The engine light is an emmisions thing."

6 miles away, but someone's coming out later: damn them! Luckily for me, the seller (wisely) wasn't holding the car until he had a cash deposit in hand. Braving Storm Dennis I went round straight away. Standing under the shelter of his (rather lovely) oak barn I looked at Lasi out in the rain. Dented front bumper (deer), tiny dent in door (deer), fractionally detached rear bumper (deer: what, did he reverse over one?). Superficially it looked alright and I like them in silver, although franky the moss and lichen in the seams, around the windows and in the bonnet vent might have to go.

Took it for a run: EML on plus oil level sensor failure warning. It seems to have driven 157,000 of its 158,000 miles over ploughed fields: it's little bit loose on the front end. I think a front spring is broken because fhe car has a bit of stance on the nearside and when you turn the wheel there's a comedy 'Boing!' now and then.

Getting back to his it was also clear it's peeing out raw fuel near the back. The engine rattles in a terminal way (if it's tappets it's because they've found their way into the combustion chamber). The interior is filthy and it stinks of dogs. Lots of dogs. There are some boiled sweets, soggy crisps and an old Elastoplast plaster trodden into the carpet. And it's been keyed through both driver's doors and front wing.

I bought it. Of course I did.

First thing after eying it warily all week was yesterday I hit it with the truckwash all over the seams, door shuts, outside of engine bay, door cards and surrounds (if you'd seen it, you'd excuse this behaviour). Also boot false floor and the two remaining mats got hit. That was followed with a conventional wash, a clay and machine polish. Can now see what I've got, which was actually very good. One door dent (50p size) the bumper damage at front which wouldn't really show much onec cleaned and heat-aligned. The rear bumper will pop in fine, There's the key marks which is a great shame.

I have had some paint mixed up so will see what I can do with the keying and other little marks. I'll also touch the six-spoke 16's in as well. Pretty sure it's never had paint.

Seats are currently out and it's all been vac'd, steamed, wet vac'd and brush-vac'd. The lower trims around the door sill areas have been recoloured by rubbing in black vinyl paint (works really well and doesn't smooth the grain). I've got some climate control button stickers to go on and a new set of mats. I'll give the engine a scrub with phosphoric acid and generallh tidy the bay.

Why bother? Well, I always do the pretty bit first: it's almost free, you can do a whole disgusting car in a weekend, it's good for the soul and you can then judge how far to go with the mechanicals. Frankly it's my favourite bit of getting a 'new' car.

As for this one, as well as the epic downsides, there are some ups:

Full black leather in lovely condition.
Climate control that works well.
Both keys, handpack, full tool-pack, wheel change kit, first aid kit / triangle, parcel shelf, false floor, full history, not too many owners (three before me) and it's iconic silver with black.
It was local.
I'd rather buy an honest cheap one that needs work than a dishonest tarted one that could be triple the price and still need work.

It stills owes me under £500 with climate stickers and new carpet mats. I reckon I can spend the same again and still be 'safe' whatever that might be. More to the point, the last owner was right, it's too good to break.

Will finish interior in next few hours and by end of day will have touched up the paint and polished the exterior and glass.

I'll then jack it up and start the mechanicals which I suspect is where my good fortune will expire! Judging by the nasty noises that I'm due an engine, front spring, front shocks, random bushes, either a fuel filter or what looked like an external fuel pump (?), at least one hub-cap. Oh yes, oil sensor possibly. And that's before I really start looking.

I must be mad. I'm not even sure where it'll fit into my bloated fleet. In the past though my best cars are the ones that come completely out of the blue and land in my lap. I like something different, love small cars (have an early Smart City Cabrio and a Roadster Coupe, building Austin 7 sports cars at work) and I'm a huge fan of VAG in this period. My Passat B5.5 130 Estate has been an utterly brilliant all rounder for years. I also love running a cheap car that looks like a three year old one: nothing gives me more pleasure than having one of the oldest cars in the car park that still holds its own against a nearly new one (well, fro a few feet away at least).

What will I do with this? No idea. It seems a good chance to try an A2 and it might make the cut and stay. I might swap it over for a 1.6 or TDi later. Whatever: delighted it's here and not suffered a worse fate. Someone did phone the seller just after left with the car: would pay the full asking price. take out the seats and throw the rest away. Seems a bit mean ...

Thanks for reading: sorry to ramble on.

The name's Barry by the way. Nice to meet you :)
Welcome to the forum Barry. That's a great story; it sounds as though Lasi's found a good home. I don't want to dampen your obvious enthusiasm but climate control stickers haven't had a good press on here. I'm sure someone who's renovated theirs will be along to tell you which VAG model was the donor of much better buttons, swapping seems the way to go. I'd advise paying the £2.00 upgrade (if you've not already done so) so that you can access the Marketplace where you'll find most bits you might need - up to and including replacement doors if the keying repaint doesn't work as well as it might.

Welcome to the forum Barry. That's a great story; it sounds as though Lasi's found a good home. I don't want to dampen your obvious enthusiasm but climate control stickers haven't had a good press on here. I'm sure someone who's renovated theirs will be along to tell you which VAG model was the donor of much better buttons, swapping seems the way to go. I'd advise paying the £2.00 upgrade (if you've not already done so) so that you can access the Marketplace where you'll find most bits you might need - up to and including replacement doors if the keying repaint doesn't work as well as it might.

Thanks Jeff. I've already paid my £2. I've got a feeling it was an early'ish A4 with the same climate control. Frankly my buttons are bad enough not to be able to make out the function. If, for my £5.75 investment I can see what I'm doing and they look 'sort of' alright through a squint, that'll do for now. It's a bit of fun and the odds are I'm soon going to have bigger A2 related issues to tackle. If the car car turns out to be a winner I'll be delighted to uograde the various switches later on.

Welcome from me... and a very good read, sounds as your in the right frame of mind to crack on and bring your A2 back from the brink. You will get plenty of help and advice from the members here as I can testify to as a recent new A2 owner (3 months)
John

Sounds like you have an excellent basis for a project - with leather as well!

Picked up a 1.4i SE on 180k miles 18 months ago for slightly less cash than that with similar symptoms (although no dog transportation) - based on ours it sounds like you'll need the usual combination of shocks, springs, ARB bushes, drop links, top strut bearings, possibly discs and pads at the front and shocks / springs and a brake drum kit for the rear. As far as the engine was concerned, replaced throttle body and EGR, Bosch plugs & cables, refurbished Marelli injectors and new Bosch coil pack (AUA) over last summer, as well as catalytic converter and exhaust done at MOT time. That solved the engine light and trembly idle / rough running. Interior / exterior valet brought the cosmetics back to very acceptable. Set of new tyres. All in over £1.5k spent on the car as it stands (with a noisy front bearing having started this week needing to be replaced), but as you said, it is quite easy to pay that for a car and still need all of the above doing. Drives really nicely for an 18 year old car.

Can you describe the phosphoric acid treatment you mentioned - is it a degreaser or something to dissolve off oxide corrosion crystals weeping out of engine block etc?

Thank you for the welcome all!

I suspect it will indeed need a similar regime to yours Robin although I did spy some relatively recent Monroe stickers on the rear shocks. Not the best but being at the rear, not hugely critical compared to the fronts either.

I have been blessed with three 5-6mm tyres (and one on the legal limit) and it came with an additional full size spare wheel (matches the other alloys). Interestingly she starts instantaneously and idles perfectly smoothly. Wondering if my 'knocking' is actually piston slap at moment.

My instinct at the moment is to fit the one road spring (I know, I know, but I've got my Mr Pragmatic hat on for now), the fuel filter (t'was the leak) and do some fresh oil. On that note I've got a collection of 1/3rd cans of various 5/40's here and a few flush treatments. I'll do a flush, change, drive it for 40-50 miles or so, flush that then will try it on my favourite posh oil: Fuchs Titan Race Pro S (5/40). It's a full ester oil and I've had brilliant results with it in the past. Not cheap at nearly £60 per 5L delivered from Opie Oils but is super stuff. A friend has used it in his Ferrari 355 for last few years to good affect and put me on to it. I then ran it in my 996 and it utterly transformed that. You save a little of the cash back via economy and engines invariably sound much quieter mechanically.

Anyway all of the valeting is done and I'm gradually building up the touch-in paint everywhere prior to flatting it back flush with the original. Main jobs are the above spring, fuel filter and oil plus a Cataclean (a £13 long shot). At least then it's safe(r) to drive and I can start to make a judgement on the next steps.

If it goes well I'll match up the other roadspring, do any soft bushes and get Bilstein B4's up front. Do a big service, sort the one really low tyre and give it some use. Can then decide where it'll fit in on the fleet and that will dictate how far I take it.

BTW, found I had an old can of Plasti-Dip, so sprayed a bit into the can lid and repainted the window switches and a few bits around the stereo. Works really well: had I known I'd have gone a lot further with the prep. Luckily there's enough in the can to do roughly another 17 A2's ...

Oh yes, phosphoric acid: I use it at work (early 911 coachbuilder really) as a de-ruster and preserver. Bought neat, diluted with 40% water. In the case of alloy, I just brush it onto / into the corroded areas and wipe it back off. I then rinse with damp rag and usually just keep oily film wiped over the top. Do at own risk: if your rocker box turns into a molten blob, well you shouldn't believe stuff off the internet :)

DSC_0103.JPG

Thank you ?

Really? That's amazing. They say the original batteries on cars always last the longest. 18 years would be hugely impressive though. Mind you, it's enormous for a little petrol car. If it fails it ought to get a lithium one really.

Last edited:
Back