Leather Conditioner

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
What do members reckon is the best Leather Conditioner on the market at the moment. Just want to keep the seats in tip top condition

Whilst on the subject of valeting, someone on another thread recommended Collinite 845 as a good and easy finishing coat, so I bought some. Amazing stuff, great shine and so easy to apply for someone like me who is not into detailing. I did the whole car in under 10 mins - drove 250 miles in the dry and just wiped the car over with a duster to bring back a great shine.

I hear that Baby Oil is really good for bringing leather back up to spec. I heard it last night from another member :)

I refer to my post in this thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8584

Pummy, our friend Mr Ford's tip for the baby lotion works a treat on leather. For normal up keep, it is effective enough to clean and condition at the same time. I have a bottle of Auto-gym and a bottle of Meg lether conditioner both gathering dust.

I wonder how it was found out baby Oil/Lotion worked well on leather.....;)

Seriously though which is it? Oil or Lotion, there is a difference. However I have always used Auto-glym or a cleaner for 'normal' leather upholstery.

I have always used Gliptone cleaner and conditioner on all my leather seated cars.
It's really good stuff and you get a good waft of leather smell when you open the car door.
:)

I have a bottle of official Audi Leather Treatment that the previous owner gave me and it works a treat. However it does smell like Baby Lotion and I just don't know whether the official stuff smells like this or whether the previous owner half filled the Audi bottle with Baby Lotion!

I wonder whether standard ladies moisturiser wouldn't just do the same job. I'm going to give it a go as my steering wheel leather is pretty hard and shiny these days.

gliptone is the best i have used for years, both cleaner and conditioner, and is the only one that i have found really does smell of leather
tip: after using the leather conditioner, put the cloth you have used under the seat as the smell of leather lasts in the car
Glen

Well I've just put baby lotion on the leather on the steering wheel - will see how it fares at bringing the leather back to life!

gliptone is the best i have used for years, both cleaner and conditioner, and is the only one that i have found really does smell of leather

Seconded - found Gliptone to be better than Autoglym which I still swear by for polishing, rubber, etc.

tip: after using the leather conditioner, put the cloth you have used under the seat as the smell of leather lasts in the car
Glen
Did not find the need to do this as the smell of leather (or some would say new car smell) lasts for ages (about a year?), so an annual once over does it for me. So impressed I got the 5Lt bottle of the cleaner and the conditioner, and have used on the leather in the living room as well as both of my cars!

Leather Cleaner/conditioner

Just some feedback - following the good reviews on here I thought I would try the Gliptone. The cleaner worked well as did the conditioner - BUT the leather smell of the conditioner is rather noxious with solvent type fumes. I am hoping it will wear off as my wife will not get in the car at the moment (maybe a bonus for some peolpe:)).

Well I've been putting baby lotion on my steering wheel for a few weeks now and finally the leather is starting to free up a little, it's not quite so rock hard and shiny as it used to be. I wouldn't say it's a great success though as it does leave the leather pretty greasy for a while. The leather still doesn't feel like a nice leather steering wheel should yet either - it's still not soft and grippy.

I've tried both with baby lotion and Gliptone treatment on our 3 cars and the results are the same...
I think baby lotion is better to bring old leather to life : creaks are quite lessened, more suppleness and smoothness of the leather. Reapply baby lotion 1 or 2 times again, once a week. Then after 2-3 weeks, you can start with the Gliptone kit, cleaner and conditionner. The latter does really enhance the cosmetic appearance (it gives some "new-looking" firmness back), and perfumes the leather, while baby lotion is more an "in depth" remedy. Downside : the Glipton'ed leather gets very slippery (unlike with baby lotion)

This treatment has given the best results on the A2, that has the leather in the "poorer" condition (front seats), maybe also because it's more visible on red, while it's black in the others.

Last edited:
With my leather seats due, I thought I'd buy some leather conditioner so I can get them spick and span. Have bought a bottle of Simoniz leather treatment, anyone used that before? I'm starting to think my steering wheel is a dead loss though. How much are the leather SE wheels? I could swap it and keep the airbag (although I prefer the 3-spoke "Sport" design I must admit)

I'm starting to think my steering wheel is a dead loss though. How much are the leather SE wheels? I could swap it and keep the airbag (although I prefer the 3-spoke "Sport" design I must admit)

Aye, the leather on the steering wheel is probably impossible to rejuvenate after years of wear, plus oil and product from drivers paws! I swapped a worn steering wheel on my mates A4 and got a used but very fresh looking replacement on eBay for £70. If you swap to the 3 spoke from your SE you'd maybe be as well going the 'whole hog' and upgrading to a modern S Line style?

Back