Leeds clean air zone

larax

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

I'm not sure how many of you out there in Leeds and it's area but I heard they want to do the same thing like in London.

Government decided to take congestion charges for buses, lorries, taxis in the past few years.

Now I heard they want to charge for private cars as well.

Since my car has 05 plate and the oldest car can be driven in the zones has to be at least 07 I'm worried.

Just wondering if anyone heard about this?

Thanks.

Your 1.4 petrol A2 conforms to the Euro 4 emissions standard. You can drive your A2 in the London ULEZ without penalty, and I assume the situation will be the same in Leeds if they introduce a similar scheme.

Your 1.4 petrol A2 conforms to the Euro 4 emissions standard. You can drive your A2 in the London ULEZ without penalty, and I assume the situation will be the same in Leeds if they introduce a similar scheme.
Yes I was assuming the same. I guess I just have to wait until they approve it. Thanks for the input!

28 councils have been told to implement clean air zones including Bath. It's recent consultation got over 8,000 replies (including mine) and it has backed down for now and will not charge cars https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/bath-breathes-2021-overview/overview-scheme

I think this is a temporary postponement. Whilst I don't object to them in principle, the Bath one includes the A36 which skirts south of the city centre. This means that east to west traffic, including traffic to the hospital, will go over the steep hills and through the suburbs or villages to avoid the charge, so despite the council saying there would be no adverse impact, these suburbs, villages and outlying towns would in fact get a hit.

The current plan is to not include cars and for a daily charge:
£9 for non-compliant taxis, private hire vehicles and light goods vehicles (the minimum standard being euro 6 for diesel and Euro 4 for petrol), and £100 for buses, coaches and HGVs (the minimum standard being euro 6).​
Hybrids are except but I have my doubts if they are clean as the battery range is very limited, especially for taxis which will be on ICE within 1/2 hour. And the £9 is not really going to deter taxis and make them buy an electric vehicle.

Personally I think they should have included cars but just for the historic centre.

its going to get worse and worse..
hit the motorist again..
the government told us to buy diesels..
now they are penalizing us for doing that..
they should be made to pay not us , and it wont make any difference..
i know a car dealer in london who usually has 30 or more cars for sale and usually does quite well..
hes told me he,s not had a phone call for weeks on any cars and is packing up..

I'm in some correspondence with DVLA concerning exemption of a 2001 1.4SE from the CAZ charge shortly to be introduced to Birmingham.

As I understand it, our 1.4 SEs and 1.6 FSIs are EURO IV compliant, hence the exemption from the London ULEZ.

However, DVLA is disputing the EURO IV compliance:

'Dear Mr Greenslade,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/3/2021. Your case reference number is 03765482.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.?

After checking the vehicle record, I can see this vehicle was first registered in July 2001. I have checked the vehicle details on the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Checker and this vehicle will be subject to a daily charge of £8.00

The minimum emission standards for Birmimgham Clean Air Zone are Euro 4 petrol and Euro 6 diesel.

Euro 4 became mandatory for all new petrol cars and light duty vans from 1st January 2006 and Euro 6 became mandatory for cars and vans from 1st September 2015, and for buses, coaches and HGVs from 31st December 2013.

As your vehicle was first registered prior to the introduction of these Euro Standards, I would expect that it would not be compliant with the emission standards of Clean Air Zones, and so would be subject to Clean Air Zone charges.

It may help if I explain that the Clean Air Zone scheme is not linked to Transport for London's Ultra-Low Emission Zone and can only be found in locations outside London. However, we are working with Transport for London to ensure as much consistency as possible between our Clean Air Zone vehicle checker and the ULEZ system. We would advise all drivers to use the relevant vehicle checker for the zone they intend to travel into if they are unsure if their vehicle meets the standards.

I hope this information is of assistance to you and answers your enquiry.'

Does anyone have any aauthoritative reference that I could use with the DVLS to back up my assertion that these vehicles are EURO IV compliant?

The DVLA database will be used as a reference for future CAZ schemes so it is important that we establish A2 1.4SEs and 1.6 FSIs as compliant, if indeed they are.

Stephen

You would need to show them evidence that the emissions meet the standard, ie the car was registered on X date but its emissions meet the figures below in some form, from Audi maybe ?

Euro 4 emission limits (petrol) · CO – 1.0 g/km · HC – 0.10 g/km · NOx – 0.08 · PM – no limit ...

I was hoping there might be some blanket certification that classifies all relevant A2 models with certain engines into Euro class, which could then be used to persuade DVLA to include these vehicles in the compliant list

for what it's worth - Bath have just introduced a CAZ and my 1.4 diesel won't get charged. Bristol are set to do on in October and it's likely I will get charged, so I'm buying a cheapo folding bike to cycle form the outskirts into town

He's wrong, as simple as that. Our 1999 Lupo 3L qualified as Euro IV even before Euro IV was thought of! What you need is your vehicle's CoC (Certificate of Conformity). This should be provided free by Audi. It will show your emissions levels and therefore which emission standard your vehicle meets. Year of manufacture is irrelevant.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
for what it's worth - Bath have just introduced a CAZ and my 1.4 diesel won't get charged. Bristol are set to do on in October and it's likely I will get charged, so I'm buying a cheapo folding bike to cycle form the outskirts into town

It's only not charged because, in Bath, no private cars or vans are charged. The Birmingham CAZ scheme includes private cars and my A2 is showing as £8/day charge.

Lift up the front passeger carpet. There is a silver builkd sticker under there that indicates the Euro emissions standard. At least ot does on most of the FSI's ive had in.

As your vehicle was first registered prior to the introduction of these Euro Standards, I would expect that it would not be compliant with the emission standards of Clean Air Zones, and so would be subject to Clean Air Zone charges.

That's where his mistake is. Those dates were when it was mandatory for all relevant vehicles to meet the required standard. But many, many Euro IV vehicles were registered before this date. Don't they train these people?

RAB

He's wrong, as simple as that. Our 1999 Lupo 3L qualified as Euro IV even before Euro IV was thought of! What you need is your vehicle's CoC (Certificate of Conformity). This should be provided free by Audi. It will show your emissions levels and therefore which emission standard your vehicle meets. Year of manufacture is irrelevant.

RAB
Thanks RAB, I've requested the CoC from [email protected]

I would much rather DVLA added the models en masse though, rather than on a case by case basis.

Lift up the front passeger carpet. There is a silver builkd sticker under there that indicates the Euro emissions standard. At least ot does on most of the FSI's ive had in.
Super - that should work. I suspected that there might be a sticker, but unsure as the A2 was so far ahead of the standards

Spot on Steve. Thank you!
20210302_114908.jpg

Back