Legal LED H7 *LHD only

They are not street legal. Not ECE approved, and the car Audi A2 is "full car approved" which means only Audi can get them approved by redoing the approval process.

Probably pretty safe to say that HID and LED conversions on the A2 will never be approved in the UK.

Probably pretty safe to say that HID and LED conversions on the A2 will never be approved in the UK.
But, I think it may mean that using one on an A2 is going to deliver a controlled beam, that will give significant improvement on the halogen version, and not cause glare to other users. If this is the case, (and I am convinced it is), then fitting it between Mots would be worthwhile. Sometimes, you can justify a little deviation from strict legality, in the interest of improved safety.
Mac.

I have these LEDs since they are available on the market, I bought a set on Nov 2020 already. This is street legal in Germany and in some other countries in the EU but unfortunately not in Finland. I love them.

1670161086553.png

View attachment 101982

I think the approval, in a few EU countries, is for the Osram led H7 as a replacement/equivalent of the halogen H7. If I have it right, this means any car that currently specifies an H7, can fit the Osram lamp as a replacement. This doesn't help in the countries that haven't, but would seem to mean the beam pattern is very similar to the halogen H7, so fitting them will not cause nuisance to others, and will improve vision for the user.
I intend to fit them.
Mac.

You can make them legal in Slovenia for a 35 EUR individual approval process at our MOT workshops.
This can be done only for the cars that Osram has done the testing/approval and is on the list of approved cars. If it is not, it cannot be legalized in Slovenia.
If I would be using my car as daily, I would have already installed them.

Last edited:
Google translate is our friend.
Main page

FAQ page

FAQ says
Q "Do I have to remove the lamp again if I drive my car abroad? Can I drive abroad with the lamp?"

A "No, the laws of the country in which the vehicle is registered also apply abroad. This means that a vehicle cannot be objected to in a country where it is not registered. Countries with left-hand traffic (e.g. Great Britain) are an exception. Here the driver has to switch back to halogen lamps, even if the vehicle is registered in the home country.

For EU countries the installer downloads a General Type Approval (ABG) and it is mandatory to carry this in paper form in the vehicle. There is also also a type approval sticker to go on the lamp housing / engine.

It's the lense and reflector that gives the right hand cut off for UK/LHD not the lamp itself.
Mac.
This means that the new bulb will not affect the dip right/dip left as per the original h/lamp unit - have I understood your comment correctly, please?

[I have a RHD/UK spec car that I want to convert dipping pattern as per LHD/EU.]

Best to obtain LHD headlight assemblies to permanently achieve that as it is the light unit itself the controls the halogen light pattern.. Even then as the car is UK registered the fitting of LED bulbs is still illegal. Not only that there is no proof the LED bulbs will not adversely effect the headlight units.

Thanks. Does anybody have experience of any reliable suppliers of used LHD parts in EU? New ones are quite pricey!

No personal experience but would have thought that LHD parts would be more plentiful and cheaper over there. Got to ask what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Ah I see. Would it not be easier ( not cheaper ) to buy a LHD car either in Italy or Germany?

Ah I see. Would it not be easier ( not cheaper ) to buy a LHD car either in Italy or Germany?
No. I already have the car. Not much choice in Italy & expensive. Really the only difficulty is the headlamps. Although registering any car in Italy is a major dramaa - even just transferring a car ownership within Italy. Only actually necessary to re-register here since Brexit.

There is a guy in Lithuania that pops up frequently selling A2 parts. Have seen him on ebay but do not know him or how good the parts are....

Shipping and any tax may be the deal breaker though.

Best to obtain LHD headlight assemblies to permanently achieve that as it is the light unit itself the controls the halogen light pattern.. Even then as the car is UK registered the fitting of LED bulbs is still illegal. Not only that there is no proof the LED bulbs will not adversely effect the headlight units.
The power consumption of the Osram leds is less than 50% of the halogens, so, I think damage is very unlikely.
Mac.

Back