Lets talk about this...

Afternoon all,

I've decided to jump on here for a change for advice.. I'm looking to fit spacers onto Lyra after speaking to a few other A2 owners I think the best set up would be 5mm on the front and 10mm on the back my current set up is 17 x 7.5J 43ET with 205 40 tyres and lowered 50mm does anyone see an issue with this set up? Also I am looking for recommendations on what spacers people are using.

Next my only concern is I've heard of people getting vibration feedback after fitting spacers is this a common problem?

Cheers for any help
Luke
Screenshot_20220523-153858_Gallery.jpg

Unless you are going to fit hubcentric spacers then you may get issues with vibration.

I think hubcentric ones start at 15mm wide.

Hi Luke,

one thing I read here about spacers and the risk of vibration (assuming that they are correct for the car) is the need to ensure that you order the right kind of bolts to go with them - there are bolts which have a conical taper profile which seemingly are for aftermarket or steel wheels, and ones that have a hemispherical "radius" profile that go better with VAG original wheels if I've understood this correctly. I've seen adverts for spacers with both options so need to check the right one for your rims.

I'm guessing that the need for spacers with relatively wide wheels is due to the offset? The S3 17" wheels I have on Cosmo are ET32 with the same tyre size as you have above and they fill the arches really nicely.

Further to the above - Watfield have these spigot extenders for the narrower spacers to reduce risk of wobble.

I would have thought they sit really far into the wheel arches right now. I ran ET35 7.5x17 for some years without issue: you're running 8mm further in. I saw evidence of arguments.
I currently run 195 on 7J at ET35 (I think) and would go no more than 10-15mm out. Remember the tread has to be covered completely by the wheelarch.
On the wobble side: my summer rims don't sit 100% because of the design of the middle section and the spigot of the hub; spigot rings don't help. It vibrates frequently above 100km/h. I would definitely go for hubcentric.

Back