Losing power

Aarogrim

Hi all, new member looking for some guidance before booking in for a scan. I bought my A2 1.4tdi'03 last summer and been exactly what I needed, however few weeks ago I had the dreaded beeping and asr/abs lights and red circle warning light. Trying to keep story brief, car starts with no problems and drives great for 30 mins(mostly motorway) then a slight judder before beeps and lights appear, power drops and seams to run on 2 cyl, will still accelerate slowly with hesitation. If turn ignition off fault clears but comes back after a little while. To add to confusion if when engine starts to stutter, if hard accelerate and put engine under loads seams to clear, but comes back when slows back down. Thoughts would appreciated while awaiting a scan, thanks in advance for the welcome.

Thanks Michael, just checked battery reading 11.9v, 13.7 when running so looks a good place to start, looks like needs one anyway, thanks

Try to measure the voltage on starting and see how low it goes as well. Under 10 is pretty bad.

Fully charged rested battery should be 12.7V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like its dropping an injector, probably wiring loom in head needs connections tightening, with a charge rate like that i dont think the battery is the issue however may benefit from replacement.

Symptoms similar to a failing or poorly connected injector loom
Worth checking
Replacement approx 80 if DIY

Thanks all, anyone got a how to..on getting loom out. I'll look tomorrow before £90 on a battery...

Cheers Spike

I did mine by lowering the engine about 12 mm and i chose to remove and clean egr valve at same time (didnt touch wipers, scuttle or air intake). A long ball end 5mm allan key socket and short 1/4 drive 6 mm allan key socket really help along with a bit driver 10 mm.

Hi all, thanks for help, changed injector loom, battery and cleaned egr while I was there, first run looking good with no issues. Local garage scanned before I started but no faults showing, so he didn't want to waste my money looking(and scanned for free). Next jobs temp gauge only showing 70 so looking at that soon. May I just say pleasure dealing with you all, I was on Ducati forum last year and what a bunch of......guess the rest... Cheers all..

And gets wife off my case because she wanted a Citroen c2. Don't know if guy I bought car off is on here, from Anglesey but picked up in welshpool, honest bloke...thanks.

Back