Loss of power.

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Hey.

Im experiencing something that I just can not figure out and was hoping you could help me out with.

So when the engine is cold, I dont experience any problem at all. Everything is running fine, good acceleration, good power in all rpm's etc...
But when the engine reached operating temperature, or really close to it, the engine just seem to go flat when it reaches 2000rpm. I can hardly get over 60mph on the highway.

I don't get the engine light and I recently did a scan when I had the clutch done, and it didnt give anything.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thnx for the suggestion Colin. Will do. Is that something I can do my self or should I take it to my mechanic?

But I got some more info. Because I just got back from a 30mil highway trip where I was paying a lot of attention to how the car was behaving.

First of all I noticed the loss of power is present from the start, so even when the car is cold. But Im pretty sure it wasnt like that last week.
And in the transition from good power to loss of power, at that exact spot. The car shakes a few times, like 2-3 times. I think its because the engine jumps between the two power settings.

Unfortunately I have so far been unsuccessful in finding the problem.

But I found something that seem a bit suspicious. It has oil, grease and dirt all over it. But since my knowledge about cars is very limited Im not sure what it is, but it seems its located between the intercooler and the turbo(?). So it would explain the symptoms I have been having. Could some one pls identify it for me?

20160319_134633.jpg20160319_134645.jpg

Hi,

As Spike has said, you have circled part of the EGR valve. :p

They fail when the pressurised intake air escapes past the valve stem seal and out through a small vent port on the underside of the silver circle. It is oily because of the oil mist in the intake from the turbo/crackcase vent. My own car does this. Due to the size of the vent and stem seal tolerance, there shouldn't be a noticeable drop in power; there certainly isn't for me. I would recommend checking the larger boost pipe in that area, making sure it's tight, not split and not leaking from anywhere. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Yesterday I went for a drive to the airport, a 200km trip. I was a bit nervous before the trip, but since the car seems to be healthy overall I decided to go for it.

To my surprise, after 50km or so high way drive everything was working perfect. Nice power, no loss etc... like new. After I waited 30min at the airport the exact same thing happened on the way back. So at fist I had the old symptoms, but after a while it drove great. Im even more confused now :)

I was gone have the garage to take the EGR out and give it a good scrub, might not fix this problem but I think its about time anyway. I also noticed that the tube leading out from the EGR have a big dent in it. I dont think it have been perforated yet. But cant be much left. Its from the metal clips that holds the MAF sensor, you can barely see the clip on the pics.

I found this old thread and I just wanted to add to it incase someone else suffers from same problem.

So the main symtom was that the car would work perfectly with no problems until the car reached normal operating temperature. Then it would lose all power above 2000 rpm.

And the fix was new temp sender. That completely fixed it.

I found this old thread and I just wanted to add to it incase someone else suffers from same problem.

So the main symtom was that the car would work perfectly with no problems until the car reached normal operating temperature. Then it would lose all power above 2000 rpm.

And the fix was new temp sender. That completely fixed it.
1.4tdi BHC
Today I experienced what seem to be similar symptoms but only randomly. I thought a couple of weeks ago that there was a loss of power (when at temperature), lack of torque. When driving today I noticed an inability to maintain speed on an incline without dropping a gear, I then noticed the temp gauge was not sitting at it’s usual rock solid 90 degrees (Closer to 80degrees). Over the next couple of miles the temp headed back close to 90 bot not quite.
i replaced the temp sender only a couple of years ago. Could it really be this again?
I was tempted to think it was fuel filter But for the temp fluctuation.

I would change the temp sensor, the thermostat and flush and refill the coolant with the correct G12 - G13 coolant. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Fuel filter change unknown, not in the 6 years of my ownership unless it is done as part of a regular service, but never spotted it on invoice.

Last edited:
Given no engine warning light, I would firstly eliminate the fuel filter, especially if it hasn't been changed for years.

Yes the fuel filter should be replaced occasionally according to the service schedule, I think at every cambelt change at least.

Thanks for the advice. I had already instructed the garage to change the fuel filter (at this months service) before I had even experienced these problems. If that does not fix it (which I somehow doubt as I cannot see why it would effect the temp reading) I’ll replace the temp sender again.

Back