Low pressure fuel pump swap

peec

I recently acquired a 1.6FSI that was limping along on 2 cylinders.

After scanning I found that I had bad injectors, failing O2 Lamda Sensor, Intake Leak caused by Oil fill pipe, and a hole in the EGR pipe.

As I had read on here that hesitation / EML / low power can be a bitch to fully resolve in the FSI, I decided to go belt and braces and as well as fixing all the above list, I also changed the MAF and the Low pressure fuel pump.

I did the fuel pump swap with the tank nearly empty. The new pump (Chinese, not AUDI) came with a different float for the Fuel level gauge sender. I tried fitting the pump, with the shorter float that was supplied....fuel gauge showed half a tank, so no good. I then tried the pump with the original Audi float....DOH, fuel gauge showed 3/4 tank!

The next attempt was to swap the contact board, swing arm and float from the Audi pump to the Chinese pump. Bingo, the gauge showed nearly empty. Problem solved, or so I thought.

Sadly, I've just filled up and the gauge only shows 3/4 of a tank.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does the sender drive the gauge directly, or is there a control unit involved that I could "VAG"?

Thanks for any pointers

Back