M6 toll overcharge - A2 anomaly?

moxox

On our 630 mile journey on Friday I opted for the M6 Toll.

I later I saw my card had been charged £14.30 which is the rate for a Class 4 Van or Motorhome.

The correct fee should have been £8.20 (class 2, no trailer)

Of course I'll seek a refund, but I was interested to learn that the calculation is partially based on the height of the vehicle at the first axle, if it's more than 1.3m the higher fee is applied.

(I measured my car, standard suspension 15" wheels, 175/60 tyres) and it was just under 1m high...)

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience - is it an A2 anomaly or a reader fault at that tollgate?

Google searches suggest that the distance saving of the toll option is negligible, but the time saving is very variable from zero to over 30 minutes.

Given that the charge is over the cost of a gallon of diesel, it equates to about 65 miles worth of fuel, next time I think I'll give it a miss.

I live near the M6 toll but refuse to use it due to it's cost.

It has always been a 'rip-off' and has failed to alleviate the congestion on the M6 that it was designed to do due to these exorbitant costs.

If it was a reasonable, fair charge say £1 or 2, no problem but in my opinion it should be free to use as we pay more than enough for the mostly terrible quality roads that we have to drive on, constantly dodging potholes to avoid damaged wheels, tyres and suspension! 👍

Did you have roof bars or a top box on the car? Perhaps a reflection off another vehicle made your car look bigger?
Get straight on to their complaints department and get them to sort it out.

We all know the A2 is spacious on the inside but the outside is compact.

On our 630 mile journey on Friday I opted for the M6 Toll.

I later I saw my card had been charged £14.30 which is the rate for a Class 4 Van or Motorhome.

The correct fee should have been £8.20 (class 2, no trailer)

Of course I'll seek a refund, but I was interested to learn that the calculation is partially based on the height of the vehicle at the first axle, if it's more than 1.3m the higher fee is applied.

(I measured my car, standard suspension 15" wheels, 175/60 tyres) and it was just under 1m high...)

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience - is it an A2 anomaly or a reader fault at that tollgate?

Google searches suggest that the distance saving of the toll option is negligible, but the time saving is very variable from zero to over 30 minutes.

Given that the charge is over the cost of a gallon of diesel, it equates to about 65 miles worth of fuel, next time I think I'll give it a miss.
Never had an issue with the correct toll fee being charged with the A2, other than the fee itself!
The vehicle in front of you wasn't a van/motorhome was it?

I had the exact same a couple of months back, just pressed the "help" button and the guy changed the price there and then...

No roof rack/bars/box on the car, it was a 'normal' car in front - I'll make my complaint and get my refund, and as I've recently joined the AA I'll see if they're aware of any issues....interesting to see A2Dreamers comment above...maybe more widespread

it is or was done by height, i used it in a caravelle to and from Scotland once, charged the car rate going up and a higher van? rate on the way back even though you could see it wasn't a van. i had to challenge it by email etc, they wouldn't back down

Back