Mk1 TT buying advice

putyourmittenson

Im off to look at a Mk1 TT tomorrow. Its a hardtop 225bhp BAM engined in Misano red.
I know a few members also run TTs aswell as there A2s so hoping for some info.
Is there anything out of the ordinary when buying to look out for on these? something like cast or pressed wishbones perhaps? or haldex servicing?

Thank you in advance. Mike.

Look for evidence of regular servicing and the use of quality oil - common problem is blocked oil strainer which leads to top end wear. Other things to look for are that it warms up quickly but doesn't over-heat - common issues with thermostats and water pumps. Also prone to dash pod problems - varies from missing pixels to dodgy fuel gauge readings. The Haldex itself is fairly reliable - most common problem is a broken earth wire that stops it kicking in which is easy and cheap to replace - easiest way to check the Haldex is to drive across some damp grass - if the rear wheels don't spin then the Haldex isn't working.

Plenty of advice and info available from the TT forum: http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

I have a QS but the 225 can be remapped to a similar bhp level - stage 1 is usually about 260ish.

Best of luck,

Simon.

Cheers for the advice. Service history looks pretty good and the car has been well kept. Slight concern that the most recent service was done at a Halfords. The car does have what i believe to be a thermostat issue. Not looking forward to changing that. The dash pod LCD screen has been replaced within the past few years so is actually in good order for now. I haven't had the chance to drive over some damp grass yet, but im confident the haldex works purely from the way it sticks to the road.

Reactions: sco
Back