Modifying Boot Trim For False Floor.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
Hi, I have recently retro fitted the false floor to our A2. The two side trims I have used are a bit tatty, while the ones I removed are close to pristine. Anyone, successfully, cut the trim to match the false floor brackets please?
Mac

Morning Mac,

I done this exact task in my old commuter a few years ago. I had a complete false floor kit to install but had the boot mounted CD Changer that I wanted to retain which came from a non false floor set up. Therefore I had to cut the holes out as per what you’re considering.

It wasn’t an easy task as the materials are quite thick and only had a Stanley FatMax available at the time, when trying to push the knife blade in I kept going past my template lines. It wasn’t the most tidiest off jobs but totally achievable. All of my shoddy cutting was covered by the plastic cover that the false floor sits on. Just very unsightly when the covers were removed for any reason.

I just made a template from the side panel with the holes.

Now I have a Dremel I’m very confident that I could produce a much better finish.

Give it a go as it’s easy enough to do, getting that factory finish look is where it’s difficult but given the right tools and taking your time will see you persevere.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks @2work
Would a jig saw, with fine blade, and low speed do the straight lines, after cutting a hole at each end? Leaving the fiddly bits for a Dremel, or similar. I'm guessing the fuzzy stuff is the potential problem?
Mac.

As when cutting carpet it helps to place a good tape on the pile side. Personally I think I would try a sharp new blade to cut the carpet / trim and not yet had problems. If that does not work for you then the jig saw.

I used a sharp knife when I cut the trim for a folding 12v socket in the boot

Back