Moisture in headlights

Hello everyone. Today after a hard rain my A2 end up with moisture in headlight. Can some one give me directions to fix it permanently. I thing i need to reseal the headlight But if i going to reseal it what gaskets should i use and from were to bay them. I thing the a2 have a really strange rubber seal from the outside of the headlight ? From where i can bay that new top seal ?

Last edited:
This is a common problem, one that ours suffered from too. To cure my misty headlight I simply removed the lights made sure the back cover was on properly, and put a couple of packets of silica gel in before refitting. No problems since. This is with non-splittable headlights however. 2004 model.

Chris

Mx i now for the silica gel fix. But mine headlight have a really burned outside seal rubber? I will put some new photos for that problem. Mine i 2003 model ,how to check the headlight are splittable or not splittable ?

Mx i now for the silica gel fix. But mine headlight have a really burned outside seal rubber? I will put some new photos for that problem. Mine i 2003 model ,how to check the headlight are splittable or not splittable ?

That I don't know having never seen non splittable lights. I'll have to defer to another expert for that answer. Pictures of your damaged seals would be a great help I think.

Chris

If they are splittable you will have clips all around the joint that you can remove. If they are NOT splittable you will just have one or two clips.

Steve B

I have tried to seal the back cover and all around the headlight, and sloshed cleaning fluid in the housing, I have about 10 silica packs in there, etc. It has worked somewhat but the moist just gets worse and worse, to the point that they are 100% foggy all the time.

I have the non-splittable ones and it seems a pain in the arse to take them apart, and that doesn't guarantee it will be fixed.

Has anyone tried drilling holes in the back with success? If I leave the back cover slightly open the lights will dry out but start fogging gradually as soon as I **** the back cover closed.

Another option is to buy a new passenger side light, but it would give me more pleasure fixing it myself then giving up =(

/Daniel

I have tried to seal the back cover and all around the headlight, and sloshed cleaning fluid in the housing, I have about 10 silica packs in there, etc. It has worked somewhat but the moist just gets worse and worse, to the point that they are 100% foggy all the time.

I have the non-splittable ones and it seems a pain in the arse to take them apart, and that doesn't guarantee it will be fixed.

Has anyone tried drilling holes in the back with success? If I leave the back cover slightly open the lights will dry out but start fogging gradually as soon as I **** the back cover closed.

Another option is to buy a new passenger side light, but it would give me more pleasure fixing it myself then giving up =(

/Daniel

Why is "shut" bleeped out? Or maybe I wrote sh-i-t by mistake haha :)

I had the same issue with sealed light units, several garages said their cure was to drill a couple of small holes in back/bottom to aid circulation and drainage. it worked for me.

I had the same issue with sealed light units, several garages said their cure was to drill a couple of small holes in back/bottom to aid circulation and drainage. it worked for me.

Where did you drill the holes, and what size, any pics? I have no problem with drilling holes in mine, it can't get any worse and if it doesn't work I will replace the headlights.

Daniel

I drilled a 5mm or 6mm hole from the bottom. So that's 1 hole in each headlight. They have never been misty again.

I drilled a 5mm or 6mm hole from the bottom. So that's 1 hole in each headlight. They have never been misty again.

Oh only one hole. Just to get this right, you mean from the bottom and not from the back where the cover is. Where did the drill come up?

I will drill this weekend. Might look like a swiss cheese before i am finished :)

Daniel

I've an offside front unit complete with seals and bulbs (all working) if anyone wants to play totally useable and free to collect (Hednesford, Staffordshire): I just replaced the whole unit as I didn't have the time to play and it's now just sitting in the loft

Oh only one hole. Just to get this right, you mean from the bottom and not from the back where the cover is. Where did the drill come up?

I will drill this weekend. Might look like a swiss cheese before i am finished :)

Daniel
Yes, from under, and near the back. I don't remember if it was on the inner or outer side (I mean near the flap/grille or near the front wing).
But I just followed an advice that I found here (maybe 5 years ago ?), so you should normally be able to find back that thread/post.
The drill came up in an empty area, but of course you should not pass a long drill all through the headlight.

I went for 2x 8mm holes in each end from under. They were completely misty but have since cleared. Hopefully it works better than all the other things I have tried.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
I have not had a drop of moisture in my headlights since I drilled the holes in them. Have been through rain and hell so they have stood the test, looks promising but I gues winter will be the real test.

Daniel

Hi All. Looks like everyone has fixed this issue by drilling holes. But I thought i might just highlight another issue that may cause this as i have discovered recently on my A2. Drivers side lens kept on fogging really badly. Drying out with hairdryer and packing with silica packs didn't work.
Decided to remove the whole light assembly only to find that one of the bracket location lugs on the back of the light assembly (located on the black plastic component) had previously sheared off, leaving a finger sized hole in the casing. By previous accounts, such a hole should help vent the assembly, but add to this the fact that my A2 doesn't currently have an engine under tray and you can imagine that all kinds of crud and water has been able to get in there. Hole now sealed, lens dried and silica packed. All looking good so far...

Yes, it is strange that two solutions are offered from this, one involves a hole to let the moisture out and the other does the opposite, it makes sure that there is no way for the moisture to get in or out.

I am favouring the latter, as mentioned by Manhattan. After all if it was as easy as having a hole to let the moisture out you could just leave off the bulb access cover? But of course that would let water IN. So a hole underneath lets the moisture out and no water in.

Steve B

Back