More mpg issues with the 1.4 16v

Jgbaudia2

Sense I’ve owned the car I’ve been getting poor mpg so was informed it could have been the temp sensors and after checking the gauge they where in fact faulty. So changed both and now the temp gauge is back working but if anything it’s made the mpg worse !!!
Anyone and ideas

I fill up with 3 gallons at a time and that lasts 100 miles around town, and she returns 50mpg on a nice 70mph M1 cruise

I questioned my sons the other day, we’re driving it whilst he’s learning.....so quick driving, full tank is getting around 250 miles....

I’ve only got a basic diagnosis so not sure how you check (vcds)
Appeal for a local member to give you a free VCDS scan, failing that a garage but they would more than likely charge and it might not reveal anything. Its just it would be interesting to see a VCDS scan.

Andy

Found this thread as concerned I'm suffering a similar problem with my 1.4 BBY engined A2.
I've literally not done anything just yet to look at it as am in all manner of different cars all the time due to my job. Anyway, my suspicion is the throttle body and the car effectively running on choke the whole time. This would explain why it runs absolutely fine but the mpg is dire at present and far worse than it used to be. Have had the car more than five years and done many thousands of miles, so I know something's up. But, no light on, temp looks okay and temp sensor should be fine. Lambda sensor might be at fault, as did previously have the light on, but it isn't at the mo and hasn't been for a while. Gave it a throttle body clean (second in my time with the car) last year and, I think, that's when the issues might have started. I reset the throttle body as you're supposed to using vagcom so perhaps it's not set right. Not sure if any of this will help your case, but as a rough guide I used to get a consistent 350-400 miles from a tank depending on long runs or town driving. 250 is dire and about what I'm getting at present too. Hope this helps!

the most likely cause is the engine temp sensor
it as two circuits one which feeds the gauge on the dash and another which feeds the ECU, my bet is the ECU is seeing a constantly low temp and hence fueling for this low temp even when the engine is fully warmed up.
VAGCOM can be used to monitor the temp feeds from both circuits which should be within a few degrees of each other
The temp sensor is prone to failure, but is cheap, under £10 so worth changing to see if it makes any difference
If otherwise the engine starts and runs fine I'm 90% sure this will be the problem
cheers,

Ok I’ve done the o2 sensor and replaced both temp sensors. I’m just wondering if I should try to reset the ecu too????

Ok I’ve done the o2 sensor and replaced both temp sensors. I’m just wondering if I should try to reset the ecu too????
If you're referring to my point about the throttle body, then that can be reset, which is something to do after a throttle body clean specifically. Resetting in other ways as mentioned isn't really possible as such.
In my case, I've changed one of the temp sensors before and it is an easy and relatively quickly fix and so I may try this again, although what I'm experiencing now isn't similar to what I had before.
As for your case, I think you really need to see what the temperatures are of the engine using vagcom and see if that's the problem as has been indicated.

Back