MOT time... argh...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
Hello everyone... I haven't been on here in ages... busy with parental duties... kids started university in September and I'm getting back into my previous career before kids arrived... keeping busy... The A2 has been doing great... sailed through the previous MOT...

This one there are a couple things need doing that aren't really an issue... a suspension rod thingy a couple lightbulbs etc...

however the thing that threw me was mechanic said drivers side headlamp was pointing too low... hmm... you may recall way back in 2018 a girlfriend started the car whilst it was in gear and it jump forward and touch the corner of the garage cracking the plastic on headlamp and bending and cracking the plastic that goes over the metal bumper - the bumper was fine and straight the corner of the garage hit the plastic parts where there was no metal bumper and the edge of the bumper cut the plastic...

anyway... I got a new headlamp complete via someone on this forum and it has never been an issue on any MOT all these years... it is a new mechanic who did the MOT at the same garage I have been going to since forever...

so the guy says I need to find a headlamp and make a new appointment and they can sort that issue and the couple minor things needing doing and it should cost maybe 150 quid...

is it worth ringing the garage back and mentioning the headlamp saga or just get a new headlamp (drivers side) and do what they say?

I also still have the plastic bit that goes over the metal bumper that I have never gotten put on as I always forget to put it in the car when I go to garage...

what do you guys think?

I will take photos in daylight tomorrow...

my headlights plastic bits sure have gotten hazy after all these years... so will probably attempt to polish them up at some point...

I do love this little A2 even though the girlfriend did mention I should get rid of it if it fails mot... ha ha...

If its just aim, then use the adjusting wheels to raise the pattern. Or do you mean the headlight unit itself is not in its correct position? 🤔

You should be able to use the adjusters to compensate for the misalignment of the unit itself, surely?

Certainly would have thought the plastic gear adjusters and / or the inner and outer mounting points of the headlight would cover just about any light pattern issue.

The bulbs are correctly seated into their holders and the range adjustment motor connected to the frame?

I was just looking at it now and it looks fine... argh...

I rang up the garage just now and they were like it is loose so need a new headlamp...

It might move a millimetre left or right if I put pressure on it and push... but any headlamp could do that couldn't it?

well, I guess I gotta get a driver's side headlamp I just hope they can sort it... I have 14 days from yesterday to get the headlamp and the garage to do the repairs?

the MOT says:
Headlamp insecure offside
Headlamp aim too low offside

I was just looking at it now and it looks fine... argh...

I rang up the garage just now and they were like it is loose so need a new headlamp...

It might move a millimetre left or right if I put pressure on it and push... but any headlamp could do that couldn't it?

well, I guess I gotta get a driver's side headlamp I just hope they can sort it... I have 14 days from yesterday to get the headlamp and the garage to do the repairs?

the MOT says:
Headlamp insecure offside
Headlamp aim too low offside
That's nonsense find a different testing station and before letting them test it simply ask their opinion, mines not even got the inner bolt in just some foam and does not move at all

Could be that the plastic headlamp locating pins into the inner wing may be broken but otherwise looks secure enough.🤔

Last edited:
The mounting looks secure.

Now that they've failed once, they're probably not going to pass, so check aim on a perpendicular wall and see what's what, compared to the other side.

Also, the sharp protruding plastic from your frontal impact on the bumper would possibly make for a fail, as prescribed in section 6.1.1

The mounting looks secure.

Now that they've failed once, they're probably not going to pass, so check aim on a perpendicular wall and see what's what, compared to the other side.

Also, the sharp protruding plastic from your frontal impact on the bumper would possibly make for a fail, as prescribed in section 6.1.1

I just don't know if I can get a headlamp in time... there is a slight wiggle but it is left and right when I push left and right on it with my hand... up and down is rock solid...

I know there is a little tab on the outside edge of the headlamp housing... and that inserts somewhere inside... as someone mentioned above maybe that is gone now...

I just need to pass mot... so I can get to work... argh...

the mechanic said it will probably be 150 quid to sort everything... but I gotta get a headlamp...

the one is missing the cover on the back of it?

It's an odd one. The n/s bracket is broken on mine and not as solid as on yours, yet they let it pass and point out other issues.
I reckon if you took it to another garage, they probably won't care about it.

Checking if the brackets are intact isn't difficult at all. It might just needs to be popped back to place. Check MrBroons's video for good explanation.

regarding the sharp edge on bumper... the incident happened in august 2018 where girlfriend started car in gear and it jumped forward and corner of garage hit car... but it just cracked the front of the lens of headlamp and creased the plastic enough to tear it along the edge of the metal bumper... the bumper and the body is straight and ok...

it has since never been an issue on the mot going to same garage all these years... I realise another garage might not be ok with the edge being sharp so I am hesitant to go to another garage... although I do have the replacement plastic shell for the bumper just never had time to install it...

I have seen cars with some sort of tape across these sorts of er, injuries... but I think it looks worse than the tear in the plastic...

It's an odd one. The n/s bracket is broken on mine and not as solid as on yours, yet they let it pass and point out other issues.
I reckon if you took it to another garage, they probably won't care about it.

Checking if the brackets are intact isn't difficult at all. It might just needs to be popped back to place. Check MrBroons's video for good explanation.

thanks, I have removed the headlamps before... this is a great video... only problem is when I replaced the driver's side headlamp I dropped the lower bolt into an area I couldn't fish it back out of... my mechanic (same garage) put a new bolt in it that I don't have the socket for... it has a weird shape.. I took a photo of it and will post it shortly... so I can't even take this headlamp off now ha ha,.. I just want to cry...

if the garage can sort it I have no problem buying a new headlamp but in the interest of being broke and cost of living crisis etc etc I wanted to be sure it is really needed... and can I even get one in time...

are these the little sockets that the tabs poke into?

maybe I just need these? or should I get these and the headlamp too and leave the mechanic too it?

thanks, I have removed the headlamps before... this is a great video... only problem is when I replaced the driver's side headlamp I dropped the lower bolt into an area I couldn't fish it back out of... my mechanic (same garage) put a new bolt in it that I don't have the socket for... it has a weird shape.. I took a photo of it and will post it shortly... so I can't even take this headlamp off now ha ha,.. I just want to cry...

if the garage can sort it I have no problem buying a new headlamp but in the interest of being broke and cost of living crisis etc etc I wanted to be sure it is really needed... and can I even get one in time...

are these the little sockets that the tabs poke into?

maybe I just need these? or should I get these and the headlamp too and leave the mechanic too it?
Yep that’s the support bracket. Your headlamp shouldn’t move like that - if the bolts are done up securely (get a proper OE bolt off someone like @Ami who is not far from you) and remove / reseat the headlamp in the first instance.

Yep that’s the support bracket. Your headlamp shouldn’t move like that - if the bolts are done up securely (get a proper OE bolt off someone like @Ami who is not far from you) and remove / reseat the headlamp in the first instance.
I have all the headlight fittings, bracket,bolts. etc

I have all the headlight fittings, bracket,bolts. etc
that is great news! I need 1 bolt for the lower hole... and I guess it would be good to get the two brackets for the drivers side in case they need them... I reckon with all that I might not need the new headlamp?

I will
that is great news! I need 1 bolt for the lower hole... and I guess it would be good to get the two brackets for the drivers side in case they need them... I reckon with all that I might not need the new headlamp?
I will send you pictures of them tomorrow,

Back