Mpg

dan_b

A2OC Donor
How exciting - I just calculated my last brim-to-brim fuel economy and it was my best ever - 63MPG!

I'm really rather pleased with that especially when you add in factors such as winter diesel, sticky winter rubber, not to mention the obvious extra drain on the engine from running heaters etc in this cold weather, and quite a lot of sitting in stationary traffic with all the numpties out there.

My driving behaviour has clearly influenced the MPG - reduced acceleration, more time on zero throttle (fuel-cut mode), and when on A roads, lower top speeds). Just shows you what you can do with a bit more careful driving.

Ha ha, we'll see!
I must admit though, even with the aero mods and the longer 5th gear, it does require a conscious effort to drive economically to get those big numbers. Just shows you how much impact driver behaviour really has on economy.

I'm still thinking I might do some more aero next year - the rear floor under the rear bumper for example, just for the sheer h*ll of it!

Looking at some of the mpg figures you tdi guys get makes me want to trade my 1.4 petrol for a tdi 75. I stuggle to get to 40mpg at the best of times. Great result anyway.

I was tempted to buy petrol models while looking for a tdi, but stuck it out and got lucky. I can now genuinely get by on between £10 - £12 a week worth of fuel for my routine run arounds, while before in a 1.4 Mercedes A Class the same routines cost £20 or more before you factor in the diffrence of £0.95 - £1.06 per litre of petrol when I owned the merc, to £1.32 for a litre of V.Power diesel today.

£1.32 :mad:

Last edited:
I'm still thinking I might do some more aero next year - the rear floor under the rear bumper for example, just for the sheer h*ll of it!

Yes, why not. What's so good about aero mods is that they are always 'on' regardless of how you drive.

How about some lighter wheels? I've read of members seing significant improvements going rom 17" to 16", so some 15" would be a real step change. Not everyone likes the 'comfort' style ride and handling though.

@Will - I already downsized from my 17s to 16s this summer and for the winter I'm currently rolling on 15s with 155 winter rubber. I don't much like how the car looks or handles on 15s but it's keeping me out of the crash barriers!

The 155 must be ideal in this weather. I missed a trick there when getting my winter tyres and bought 185. I think I might have chosen the 185 due to availability and/or price. They're OK though, so no grumbles so far.

Well I've not had any problems with them so far! I know there is the theory that in snow having a much thinner tyre helps? Plus I have a set of chains to go with them too if things get really hairy!

I drove to Edinburgh and back a few weekends ago. I set the cruise to 70 and didn't have to cancel it the whole way as the traffic was thin. This was my first real run with the longer 5th gear. I averaged 62mpg, which is my best ever figure.
Like you say, Dan, this was in freezing conditions. -7, in fact. The webasto was doing a fair bit of work. I also don't have any of the aero mods. I'm hoping that come summer and with a few of the aero mods, I'll be pushing the mpg a fair bit higher.

Hurray for the A2!

Tom

All the aero mods in the world can't do anything for you if you only do 3 miles to work, with the webasto going at full chat just to get it warmed up, my worse ever for my little TDi was 32 MPG's:eek::eek::eek:. Wish this weather would clear so i can get back on my scooter for work 130+mpg's and the car stays in the garage ;)

Phil

Hi, read mpg info. can anyone tell me whatis longer 5th gear?
Love to know,
Colin

Hi Colin, welcome to the A2oc.

The longer 5th gear is a gearbox modification to change the gear ratio to give an overdrive effect. ie for any given speed in 5th gear the engine revs are approx 15% lower. This gives quieter cruising at speed and slightly improves the fuel consumption but its only really suitable for TDi models.

Cheers Spike

I am getting 452 miles from a full tank, which I think is 35 liters, so I worked out I am getting 55-60 MPG which for this time of year is very good :)

Back