Multiple warning lights!

Hi. Dashboard lit up like Xmas tree this morning! Engine management warning light, ABS warning light, brakes warning light. Was only a short distance from home, so drove it home and parked it. Brakes work. Engine sounds and seems to run fine. Any thoughts? I guess it could be some major failure in the engine management system itself? Thanks in advance.

Hi. Dashboard lit up like Xmas tree this morning! Engine management warning light, ABS warning light, brakes warning light. Was only a short distance from home, so drove it home and parked it. Brakes work. Engine sounds and seems to run fine. Any thoughts? I guess it could be some major failure in the engine management system itself? Thanks in advance.

I’ve had this on 2 1.4 petrols my bets are on in this order.

O2 sensor
Crank position sensor
EGR

Most likely a combination of, I did o2 sensor and CPS and fixed issues on both cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it happen while driving or on start up?

What model of car is it?

Have you started it again after driving home and do you still have the warning lights? It could be a weak battery or earth.
Shame you are not nearer otherwise I could have scanned for you.

Agree with @Edwrai, one thing to try first is give it a good run to get everything fully up to temperature. This dries out all the sensors as well as help heat the whole engine bay. EGR again sometimes a good hot run will clear it but probably needs to be removed and cleaned or replaced, one other thing, how good is your battery, winter really drags them down and the A2 electrics only need a small fall in voltage to trigger all sort of errors. Scan with VCDS, take it for the run and rescan, if still faults do as Edwrai suggests assuming your battery is good.

What model of car is it?

Have you started it again after driving home and do you still have the warning lights? It could be a weak battery or earth.

1) 1.4 petrol.
2) No not yet. Was planning to take another look tomorrow.

Thanks!

Agree with @Edwrai, one thing to try first is give it a good run to get everything fully up to temperature. This dries out all the sensors as well as help heat the whole engine bay. EGR again sometimes a good hot run will clear it but probably needs to be removed and cleaned or replaced, one other thing, how good is your battery, winter really drags them down and the A2 electrics only need a small fall in voltage to trigger all sort of errors. Scan with VCDS, take it for the run and rescan, if still faults do as Edwrai suggests assuming your battery is good.

Thanks. In fact I've had the engine management light intermittently the past few days. Then we had a huge downpour today although I can't see how the moisture would have penetrated into the electrics to cause the other warnings. Not sure how good battery is although up to now no evidence that it's failing. Will give the car a good run though anyway.

What model of car is it?

…. and all came on very quickly (a few seconds) after startup, although I should add that the engine management light (but not brakes or ABS) has been on and off intermittently over the past week.

I used to get this and recently looked at one of @sarges post about the earth to body behind the headlight . IMAG0125.jpg

I cleaned mine up a few months ago with a Dremel, put it back on and still getting intermittent lights so decided to strip back the sleeve on the end and then found this....
IMAG0125.jpg
Best £30 I've spent was getting a new one from Audi stoke. Never come on again (fingers crossed).

I used to get this and recently looked at one of @sarges post about the earth to body behind the headlight .View attachment 45306

I cleaned mine up a few months ago with a Dremel, put it back on and still getting intermittent lights so decided to strip back the sleeve on the end and then found this....View attachment 45306 Best £30 I've spent was getting a new one from Audi stoke. Never come on again (fingers crossed).

Thanks will take a look!

One other thing to check is the rubbers on the back of the bonnet as they often fill with leaves and bung up allowing the water to pool and not drain into the catch pots in the engine bay --- the water then can flow over the engine and inner wings where it starts corroding. The rubbers look like black rubber duck bills and pull off to be cleaned. i did my ones at the weekend as i park under trees at work. cheers mike

One other thing to check is the rubbers on the back of the bonnet as they often fill with leaves and bung up allowing the water to pool and not drain into the catch pots in the engine bay --- the water then can flow over the engine and inner wings where it starts corroding. The rubbers look like black rubber duck bills and pull off to be cleaned. i did my ones at the weekend as i park under trees at work. cheers mike

Thanks will check this.

Have done this as it makes sense to do it. There were a few leaves, berries and general crud but sadly no impact on the engine management warning. Thanks anyway!

I used to get this and recently looked at one of @sarges post about the earth to body behind the headlight .View attachment 45306

I cleaned mine up a few months ago with a Dremel, put it back on and still getting intermittent lights so decided to strip back the sleeve on the end and then found this....View attachment 45306 Best £30 I've spent was getting a new one from Audi stoke. Never come on again (fingers crossed).

Hi. Maybe I'm being a bit dim but I couldn't spot this in the engine bay. I've looked behind both headlamps but didn't have time to take them out. It looks like most of the connections to the car's electronics are behind the nearside headlamp. Will I access this by removing that lamp? Thanks!

Hi. Maybe I'm being a bit dim but I couldn't spot this in the engine bay. I've looked behind both headlamps but didn't have time to take them out. It looks like most of the connections to the car's electronics are behind the nearside headlamp. Will I access this by removing that lamp? Thanks!

It's the nearside headlight, there are some photos in this thread

I found it easier to put in 4th gear to move the gear linkage and access the other end on the starter.

It shouldn't take more than an hour to do. As above just remove the n/s headlight then you can get your socket or spanner on the nut.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's to do with damp penetration. Seems to happen mostly in wet weather. Could just be a coincidence, obviously. But one thing I'm going to do is to spray some WD40!

A2 electrics can be quite fragile. It is surprising what a low battery or damp connectors can cause. Never overlook the cheap easy items first. As I said before take it for a good run to fully heat up and dry out the engine bay and make sure your battery and alternator are good.

Have you checked the Earth strap on the body behind the headlight ?.

You can slide the sleeve down on the cable to see if it's still intact won't cost you anything to check.

Back