My 150hp 1.4TDI, Lulu.

AlSi

Hi,

since a post about my turbo upgrade showed some interest, I decided to make a project topic. I haven't taken too much pictures, but from now on I try to take more of them to post here.

Lulu is a 2001 A2 with 1.4TDI AMF engine that was replaced at some point, as far as I know it has about 180k miles on it, and the car has done 242k miles.

Things I have done so far:
Basic service, filters etc.
Thermostat, wasn't reaching 90°C
1 din diy upgrade to 2 din android 10 with reverse camera and obd scanner so I get realtime data on the screen if I want. Useful to check boost etc.
GPRS remote control and interior temperature sensor for remote controlling the aux heater (Webasto). I can see the Webasto status and interior temp on my Android phones home screen and I also have buttons to turn the webasto on and off, and I can also set the heating time.
Fuel consumption display on small DIS.
EGR delete
GTC1444VZ turbo
N75 for VNT control

Next I'm going to install injectors from ASZ and 3 bar map. Then its time for remap. Lets see how the clutch holds up...

lulu.jpg

Edit: things forgot to mention...

Last edited:
Moi,
What steering wheel do you have? I have replaced mine with the Audi Legends edition (the red one) from an A1. I like these steering wheels with the smaller airbag unit because the visibility of the dashboard is much better than with my old one.

Mine is the basic 4 spoke steering wheel used in A6 C6 and A4 B7 and many others.
That red/black A1 wheel looks nice!

might be worth getting some bigger head bolts, I know a lot of people have done this sort of thing and suffered a lot with head lift creating loads of more problems

Did you have to do much work getting the GTC turbo to fit? Eg clocking, flanges etc, pipe sizes etc.

It's been a year since the upgrades, and everything is working perfectly after 30 000km. Although engine mounts are starting to feel like they need some love.
I've fitted the 12.9 grade head bolts from 130PD.
Running 2.1bar for a year, no problems yet.

A warning though; It is addictive to drive, the power to weight ratio is too much fun.

Last edited:
Did you have to do much work getting the GTC turbo to fit? Eg clocking, flanges etc, pipe sizes etc.
There was a lot of fabricating, nothing fits bolt on except oil feed.

-Clocking and boost pipes are quite challenging, due to lack of space, and drive shaft coming so close to the turbo.
-Turbo flange to manifold needs modification, basically just need to drill new holes and make threads. (I used the stock AMF manifold)
-Downpipe needs modification, I used a V-band flange. (2,5" if I remember correctly)
-Turbo inlet is 3", so you need to modify your inlet piping. Some people toss the MAF, but I wanted completely smokeless setup and got better results using MAF smoke limiter.
-You need proper supports for the turbo! The manifold is not going to hold up itself, the GTC is a lot heavier and further away than the stock turbo.
-Oil outlet of turbo fits otherwise, but its a bit too far away for my liking, so the stock pipe has to do a sharp bend.
I also needed to modify boost control because the VNT is vacuum actuated, while my stock turbo had boost actuated WG.

Edit: Also, while installing, I found it easiest to drop the subframe to get some space.

Last edited:
There was a lot of fabricating, nothing fits bolt on except oil feed.

-Clocking and boost pipes are quite challenging, due to lack of space, and drive shaft coming so close to the turbo.
-Turbo flange to manifold needs modification, basically just need to drill new holes and make threads. (I used the stock AMF manifold)
-Downpipe needs modification, I used a V-band flange. (2,5" if I remember correctly)
-Turbo inlet is 3", so you need to modify your inlet piping. Some people toss the MAF, but I wanted completely smokeless setup and got better results using MAF smoke limiter.
-You need proper supports for the turbo! The manifold is not going to hold up itself, the GTC is a lot heavier and further away than the stock turbo.
-Oil outlet of turbo fits otherwise, but its a bit too far away for my liking, so the stock pipe has to do a sharp bend.
I also needed to modify boost control because the VNT is vacuum actuated, while my stock turbo had boost actuated WG.

Edit: Also, while installing, I found it easiest to drop the subframe to get some space.
I don't suppose you have any video you can post of it doing it's stuff, that would be great to see?

MrB

Back