My A2 is going to be off the road for a very long time.

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
Got a few jobs to do on my A2:

Timing belt
Timing chain
Engine oil leaks
Diff drive flange seals
Splash guards
Front flex brake pipes
Front brakes pads and disks
Various corroded fixings under the car

All very doable, probably take me most of the week but the killer is a handbrake cable change. While removing the N/S cable damaged a brake pipe, one that runs the full length of the car. Thinking I'm going to have to drop the fuel tank (currently full) to get the O/S off.

Sorry for having a good moan but feeling a bit pissed off :-(

Ungrateful little car has just recently had a new gear selector shaft as well.

Last edited:
If its any consolation I was investigating a tiny hole in the exhaust and ended up changing the whole thing with the car only on axle stands!

I'm expecting that one soon Kleynie. I still have the original exhaust after 150k miles.

Axle stands / drive on ramps for me too.

Like this, did all the brakes at the same time:
Photo 29-08-2017, 18 37 12.jpg

That’s a good idea. I’ve struggled getting the car onto four high axle stands before. You get the front up but once you start hoisting up a rear corner things start to MOVE as the braking wheels tilt. Scary!

The big lump of wood or bricks looks much more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I had just painted the rear swing axle and I didn't want to scuff the paint, hence using the bits of 4 by 2 timber. Previous to that I had a trolley jack on either side whilst I was under it just in case.

Quick question....... handbrake cable difficult to do? Worth booking it into a garage? I've got access to a ramp so not too sure if it makes it any easier or not....
Cheers

Quick question....... handbrake cable difficult to do? Worth booking it into a garage? I've got access to a ramp so not too sure if it makes it any easier or not....
Cheers

I’m finding it a bit tedious but mainly due to corrosion of just about everything. Then again, corrosion of the cables is the reason I’m doing it.
On my phone at the moment, will send a link when on PC. However in my experience Audi dealers hated A2s and messed them up. Not sure how you will find somebody who can work on these cars dependably.
To me the only option is DIY.

Cheers

For the details of how to take a look at the links posted by Catnip64

https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ement-drum-brakes-2003-tdi.34415/#post-306475

These are the instructions for a new car. You are likely to encounter lots of corroded components which adds to the challenge and changes the approach. Finally I cant remember if it is absolutely necessary to take the interior apart but I would wait for the weather to warm up before taking it out.

Little things (cars) are sent to try us!

u2A581x.jpg

Having spent two days under the rear of the car to get just the hand brake front section in place and working on also the top of the engine to fix a couple of oil leaks I'm back under the front of the car. The amount of oil under there can't have come from the leaks I've been working on. Any suggestions? I'm beginning to think the box is going to have to come out and a new main crank seal fitted. I'll have a better idea once the sump comes off for the timing chain change. Anything else to check?

On the plus side I do have shiny splash plates https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...h-plates-replacement.34567/page-2#post-306978 :)

If you have known oil leaks at the top of the engine, then the oil is going to end up somewhere and that's usually at the bottom of the engine. The test is how much oil is the engine using. If very little then there's nothing to worry about. My 1.2Tdi sump is a little oily (probably from the oil sensor on the front of the sump), but I rarely, if ever, have to put oil in from one oil change to another.

RAB

Still no car and waiting on the third crank seal. Managed to lock the engine against the valves yesterday :eek: then while distracted the car rolled off its ramps and through the garage door o_O

All going wrong because I can't successfully fit a crank seal :mad:. On the plus side I have fixed the ash try light; glows red now :rolleyes:.

The ash tray is a win for sure. Nothing like a newly working light

I went to try starting up the VW Van and found the lowest charge in a battery I have ever seen. 0.2V! £75 to replace (lucky it was payday yesterday!)

Misery loving company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back