My Cat will become French later this year

G

Guest 4123

For all those in the UK lamenting the loss of their EU pet passports, there is a simple solution. Yesterday I visited the local vet in Nontron and asked if they could issue a French pet passport for my English cat. Yes, no problem was the reply, for €30. You will still have to get a fitness to travel certificate before you bring your pet to Europe but you'll only have to pay once, not every time. Only possible downside is that rabies boosters might have to be done in the EU.

RAB

Would you have to refer to it as a 'chat' and not a 'cat' then though? and will it still understand english instructions?

For all those in the UK lamenting the loss of their EU pet passports, there is a simple solution. Yesterday I visited the local vet in Nontron and asked if they could issue a French pet passport for my English cat. Yes, no problem was the reply, for €30. You will still have to get a fitness to travel certificate before you bring your pet to Europe but you'll only have to pay once, not every time. Only possible downside is that rabies boosters might have to be done in the EU.

RAB
If I visit the same vet, can they issue me with one as well?

Hi RAB - not far from you in France - near St Mathieu !!!
Yes, very near!

Yes, certainly but you shouldn't have to travel that far unless you are anyway. Veterinaire Ladrat if it's useful. If you go to any vet, make an appointment first for the passport, don't just turn up.

RAB

Hi RAB - not far from you in France - near St Mathieu !!!
Yes, very near!
Yes, certainly but there should no need to travel so far unless you are anyway. Veterinaire Ladrat if it's any use. Make an appointment for the passport, don't just turn up.

Rabies booster is now every three years in France, as in the UK. It used to be every year.

RAB

I should be getting my cat's passport tomorrow, here in Nontron. €30 + rabies vaccination (which have to be done in France, every three years, from now on).

RAB

I should be getting my cat's passport tomorrow, here in Nontron. €30 + rabies vaccination (which have to be done in France, every three years, from now on).

RAB

Our dog will become a Belgian citizen when we take him on his first overseas trip. The new regulations with the health certificate are just ridiculous... And crazy expensive.

I wish it was as easy for humans 😔
Have to admit that the picture in my head is of a cat with a jaunty beret 😁

How are you finding Belgium? Say hi from me to the my motherland :)
My close friend and regular mountaineering partner is Belgian. I regularly use his parents’ house (avec le labradoodle) as a springboard to the rest of the European continent. In this case, I’m here before a return sailing to the UK.
Belgium is lovely. It’s frequently seen as a transit country, but has plenty of its own to offer. It just needs bigger mountains. 🏔

Our dog will become a Belgian citizen when we take him on his first overseas trip. The new regulations with the health certificate are just ridiculous... And crazy expensive.
I got the cat's travel certificate from Heathfield Vets for £150. I was told that owners come from far and wide to Heathfield (East Sussex) because they are among the cheapest!

Are you still interested in the roof bars, Thomas?

RAB

I got the cat's travel certificate from Heathfield Vets for £150. I was told that owners come from far and wide to Heathfield (East Sussex) because they are among the cheapest!

Are you still interested in the roof bars, Thomas?

RAB

I'll pm you about the roof bars.

Our vet charges £235 per certificate but also recommends all customers to get an EU Pet Passport on the first trip to the continent.

Best wishes

Thomas

My close friend and regular mountaineering partner is Belgian. I regularly use his parents’ house (avec le labradoodle) as a springboard to the rest of the European continent. In this case, I’m here before a return sailing to the UK.
Belgium is lovely. It’s frequently seen as a transit country, but has plenty of its own to offer. It just needs bigger mountains. 🏔

Our highest 'mountain' is almost 700m, you know :) But then again, not really a challenge as there is a bus stop on the actual top 😆

Back