My engine replacement project

Arildoss

Hi all
I'm new to this site, created my account a moment ago. I have owned my A2 since August last year and it turned out that the engine was worned out o_O(I will come back to that in a later post)
So I desided to change it and to do it myself (to save money)
I have been working on it the hole summer and are practicaly done but there is one last problem that I hope anyone of you A2 owners can help me vith. I can't find the speedometer wire, I must have unplugged it when I took out the engine earlier this summer but now I cant find it, it's silly I know but it's gone.
So I hoped some of you with the same car (2002 1.4 petrol AUA) could maybe take a photo or a short video that showes where the wire comes from and post it here so maybe I could narrow Down my search
I know the sensor i placed on top of the gearbox but the wire to plug in it is gone I am going crazy here I have seaced everyvhere but cant find it so if anyone could help I would be very happy:)

Welcome! Sorry, but I have no idea what you did with that wire. I'm sure one of our more telepathically inclined members will be along soon though.

Welcome.

Sorry I do not have a petrol 1.4 so cannot offer visual assistance. I can only offer an uniformed thought. I vaguely remember something to do with early A2's took thier their speedo reading from the gearbox whereas later A2's take it from the wheel ABS sensors. No idea when the change occurred or indeed if it applies to your AUA engine but wonder if this may be the source of your dilemma.

I am sure somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along to help.

Andy

A very warm welcome to the forum, :) looks like you've been very busy!

Sadly it just goes to show it doesn't matter whether you have an AUA or BBY they are exactly the same engine except ignition side and are venerable to this problem. Our BBY has started to display slight piston slap and used an awful lot of oil. Rebuild coming soon. Sorry i can't help as our car is somewhere else. What went wrong with yours?

Steve from Wales will know the answer to your problem but having read yesterday he's incommunicado for a few days not sure if he'll see this. Hopefully someone else knows.

The Speedo connector is part of the engine loom and comes round the back of the engine below the thermostat housing.You haven't trapped it between the engine and gearbox have you? I've just done the same job with a eBay engine in my A2 AUA
Just got a few more bits to do before the MOT

Thanks for the reply, yes i must have trapt it somhwere the question is where.
It's very helpful to know where to start looking so maby i dont have to take it all apart again
Thanks again for your reply, i will start looking:)
Arildoss

before you pull it apart check that the sensor on the gearbox is (a) present and (b) has had a connector plugged into it in the past
The change over from gearbox speedo sensor to the latter ABS sensor for the speedo was around the age of your A2, if yours is the ABS type then there is nothing to connect to the gearbox sensor. However I have seen a few A2 gearboxes of this age that still had the sensor present, but it was just blocking the hole in the gearbox and never had anything connected to it
You may simply be looking for something that is not present on your A2

If you did trap it between the engine and gearbox bell housing then I'm sure you would have notices as the bolts were tightened up

From memory on the AUA engine the sensor is at the back of the gearbox and almost down the back of the gearbox diff case and therefore not easily viewable from the front / top of the gearbox. I know for sure I forgot to reconnect it on one clutch hat I did on a 1.4 petrol and the speedo didn't work until connected.

Hi
Yes it has crossed my mind that i am looking for somthing that isn't there, i havet read about the speed Reading via ABS sensor but since the connector sits there i thought that there must be a cable connected to it.
The thing is i can't actually remember i disconnected it when i pulled out the engine earlier this summer. I took some pictures and videos as i went along but nothing that showed that(ofcourse)

And i think that if the cable is there i must have found it by now, i have searched for days
Maby i have thrown away all that time for nothing?
It's only one way to find out. Put the weels back on fill it up with oil and coolant and take it for a spin and if the speedo dosen't work, well then i must look again and if it does work then i have been throwing away a lot of time for nothing.
Thanks for helpful input, i will be back with the result.
Arildoss

A very warm welcome to the forum, :) looks like you've been very busy!

Sadly it just goes to show it doesn't matter whether you have an AUA or BBY they are exactly the same engine except ignition side and are venerable to this problem. Our BBY has started to display slight piston slap and used an awful lot of oil. Rebuild coming soon. Sorry i can't help as our car is somewhere else. What went wrong with yours?

Steve from Wales will know the answer to your problem but having read yesterday he's incommunicado for a few days not sure if he'll see this. Hopefully someone else knows.
Hi
I will come back to what happened to my A2 later on since It's sort of a long story

the wire comes down from behind the TB, on the same loom as the crank sensor. plugs into the back up of the gearbox just above where the Drivers side driveshaft does. believe that if you have one large coil pack then the cars has a speed sensor on the gearbox, but if the car is running 4 coils packs then the speedo is picked up for ABS sensors.

Tanks for the info
Yes i have one coilpack but i still haven't found the wire so i have more or less settled with that the speed is picked up by the ABS

Hello again
Someone on this forum asked me a while ago what happend to my A2 that made me replace the engine.
Well…. this picture says it all, you don't want to find this in your oilpan. Many of you maby know what it is, but for those of you who don't, It's a thrustbearing or more correct a spun thrustbearing. When this happends the crancshaft is allowed to move laterally inside the block and that is no good. The crankshaft will then start to eat the block from inside and that's what happened to my A2. The symptoms was like this:

The car started ok but after a while it got a rough idle and then it started to misfire. A scan with a scantool showed misfire on cylinder two (P0302) and then cylinder two was shut down and the engine ran on tree cylinders.

I am interested to know if anyone of you have experienced the same and if this can be a weak spot on theese engines or if I just had bad luck. I don't think this is something that happends very often, I have never heard about it before.
I understand, after watced several Youtube videos that it happends more often with cars with manuel shifting because the crankshaft is pushed forward by the clutch pedal.
My A2 had about 164k on it's back and that isen't too mouch, I have seen A2's that have twise that and still running. So if anyone have some experiences I would love to hear about it

Thrust_bearing.png

Last edited:
Only thing i can think of is what was the cars early life like regarding oil changes. Was it on longline oil and changed only every 2-3 years?
Just one other thing,.......Could a heavy or bad clutch cause this?

Sorry it took me some time to reply to you Vorsprung durch Technik
I don't know mouch about the cars history other than that the engine was worn out already in 2014, tree years before i bought it.
And yes it must have something to do with oilchanges or how it have been used.

But what concerns me now is that the oil warning lamp has started to show now and then. I JUST CAN'T BELIVE IT, WILL THIS NEVER END??!!!??:mad::eek:
I have canged the engine for gods sake.

I haven't checked the oil preassure yet but i have ordered a new oilpreassure switch since i have read about others who have had this problem (not only A2's) and changing the switch have solved it.
The engine have only 73k's on its back so i refuse to think it has the same problem as the one i have changed(or maybe it's in it's early stages...o_O). The oillevel is fine of course.

But to be at the safe side i must take a oilpreassure test, then i will know more. I don't know anything about the new engine either so i just have to hope for the best.
Let's just hope it's a bad switch :confused:
I hope i haven't used all this time and money for nothing :( because we love this car both me and my girlfriend.

I will be back with the result......

Sorry it took me some time to reply to you Vorsprung durch Technik
I don't know mouch about the cars history other than that the engine was worn out already in 2014, tree years before i bought it.
And yes it must have something to do with oilchanges or how it have been used.

But what concerns me now is that the oil warning lamp has started to show now and then. I JUST CAN'T BELIVE IT, WILL THIS NEVER END??!!!??:mad::eek:
I have canged the engine for gods sake.

I haven't checked the oil preassure yet but i have ordered a new oilpreassure switch since i have read about others who have had this problem (not only A2's) and changing the switch have solved it.
The engine have only 73k's on its back so i refuse to think it has the same problem as the one i have changed(or maybe it's in it's early stages...o_O). The oillevel is fine of course.

But to be at the safe side i must take a oilpreassure test, then i will know more. I don't know anything about the new engine either so i just have to hope for the best.
Let's just hope it's a bad switch :confused:
I hope i haven't used all this time and money for nothing :( because we love this car both me and my girlfriend.

I will be back with the result......
Its been a while, did you sort this problem.....??

Hi
Sorry i havent posted anything for a while, but yes i sorted it out. It was the oil pressure switch and the car runs like a clock. Thanks for asking :)

Back